Home Non Cigar Related

Problems with banks?

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone having a problem with Bank Debit cards or bank CCs?
Seriously po'd. Can't complete a transaction even though the money is there.
Been trying to buy cigars and my debit card keeps getting turned down, positive balance notwithstanding.
I did notice that logging in online had become a problem for days previous and my wife (different bank) could not even see her balance. 
Has anyone heard of a security problem concerning TN banks?

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am, off and on here, lately.

Fulton Bank. Pretty sure they're not in TN.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me started.  About to dump Bank of the West, nothing but trouble.  Even got them on the phone to approve a transaction but they were useless.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking it's a chip issue, across many banks. Of course this isn't confirmed, just a theory. I've had to resort to using a credit card when the bank card wouldn't work on a couple occasions. To me, this is a minor inconvenience compared to having my bank card number stolen and used all across the country by illegals who apparently love preying on folks like myself. I won't be buying anything with a card at that geographic location again, learned my lesson. I do know that Capital One credit offers a unique method to buy online, and you can use their site to create a different number for your credit card, which is a service much like PayPal (who I won't use). But that's a different discussion, this is about cards simply not working.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    Yeah, but BoTW only hassles me about approving my charges, apparently they have no problem with approving charges for my identity thieves. 

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use Chase and have had no issues once we don’t own a CC and only use Debit cards. Years past we’ve had it stolen but each time Chase refunded the money and issued us new info and cards and good to go. Had good experiences with chase so far knock on wood. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Thanks, Brett, they're on my list.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been getting emails from banks (2) that I don't have accounts with telling me there is a problem with my account, WTF.
    A little dirt never hurt
    Someone's phishing for passwords.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That ^ sounds right, my banks never email me.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bulk of our money is with a local credit union.  Better rates and way better service.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    My problem with Banks / Credit Unions is different.

When I was 14 years old I opened my first savings account with my lawn-mowing / car washing / leaf raking / baby-sitting money.  It was a small Credit Union, the banks and credit unions were usually rather small, business-like, drab in appearance, and they paid 5.25 % for your savings account money.  

Now, all the buildings are huge, ostentatious, and you're lucky to get a full 1% on your money.

What a load of crap!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To anyone looking to switch banks, make sure to talk to family/friends and see who's a member where, and then say that they referred you when someone has the bank that you're going to move to. I got my dad a couple hundred dollars because I said he referred me to Chase when I signed up with them. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Years ago, when all these fees started, I went in to the local branch to pay a small loan I had and because I was paying cash, they wanted to charge me a $5 transaction fee. 
    So I paid it, paid off the rest of the loan and closed the account.
    I had been dealing with the same bank since 1980 and had no problem switching everything to the other bank we deal with.
    Not fond of banks and their fees.
    But every place now seems to be charging a fee for phoning in a payment and it makes no sense.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s why they’re referred to as “Banksters”.....
    edited October 2018
    They're trying to make call centers profit centers since they have to pay wages for live people.

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U should never use a debit card for online purchases. With as much fraud going around it is easy for unauthorized transactions to be charged. Debit Cards transactions are not that easy to get your money back either if the money has already been withdrawn. All banks are different of course. Using a regular credit card offers fraud protection and transactions can be disputed easily. Debit cards also have limits on purchase amounts. 

I have disputed many unauthorized credit card purchases with all being refunded. I have had one debit card fraud issue where the money was removed. It took me 5 months to get that dispute resolved and the money returned to my account. That was after a mountain of paperwork was filled out as well. Small banks don't have the same fraud services like the big boys.

Too each his own but when you have dealt with it you will understand the pain of getting your money back on fraudulent debit purchases.

This may have changed over time with debit card fraud refunds, but I try to use my debit card as little as possible. Never use it for gas purchases outside either. Skimming has become much easier. Walk inside and pay at the counter. It may take more time but it is a preventive measure. Of course I still walk into my bank and I am done while others are still waiting at the drive thru. We have become a land of lazy azz people.

Another option is a pre paid credit card as well.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

My problem with Banks / Credit Unions is different.

When I was 14 years old I opened my first savings account with my lawn-mowing / car washing / leaf raking / baby-sitting money.  It was a small Credit Union, the banks and credit unions were usually rather small, business-like, drab in appearance, and they paid 5.25 % for your savings account money.  

Now, all the buildings are huge, ostentatious, and you're lucky to get a full 1% on your money.

What a load of crap!
    True, but on the other hand --- they do have a plethora of fees!
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

edited October 2018

U should never use a debit card for online purchases. With as much fraud going around it is easy for unauthorized transactions to be charged. Debit Cards transactions are not that easy to get your money back either if the money has already been withdrawn. All banks are different of course. Using a regular credit card offers fraud protection and transactions can be disputed easily. Debit cards also have limits on purchase amounts. 

I have disputed many unauthorized credit card purchases with all being refunded. I have had one debit card fraud issue where the money was removed. It took me 5 months to get that dispute resolved and the money returned to my account. That was after a mountain of paperwork was filled out as well. Small banks don't have the same fraud services like the big boys.

Too each his own but when you have dealt with it you will understand the pain of getting your money back on fraudulent debit purchases.

This may have changed over time with debit card fraud refunds, but I try to use my debit card as little as possible. Never use it for gas purchases outside either. Skimming has become much easier. Walk inside and pay at the counter. It may take more time but it is a preventive measure. Of course I still walk into my bank and I am done while others are still waiting at the drive thru. We have become a land of lazy azz people.

Another option is a pre paid credit card as well.

I have heard that said... however, I have never had any probs whatsoever getting refunded on a debit card. And between business accounts, my personal account, my stash account, the house account, etc I have half a dozen such cards at any time. I have half a dozen of them. Half are with big banks and half with a small bank.

Now that I say that...

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the perfect solution. I never use a debit card. Period. End of dissertation.......   B)
    Prepaid cards. Never had a problem using them online and if someone gets the info, they only get what is remaining on the card.
    Can buy them anywhere. 
    We pick them up at Walgreens.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    How do you pay for the prepaid cards?

I pay with cash.
    Our bank is down the block from Walgreens, so if I'm getting a card, I swing by the bank and grab some cash.
    Or I try and convince the boss lady to open the safe, which rarely happens.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money in a safe, now that's old school bro.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    I pay with cash.
    Our bank is down the block from Walgreens, so if I'm getting a card, I swing by the bank and grab some cash.
    I need to get prepaid cards. My debit card got hacked a while back and I have barely shopped online since. Took about three weeks to get the money back in my account, which wasn't terrible. 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's become far too easy to make purchases, which is a convenience as well as a problem. I like the prepaid option, and I do trust my local supermarket, which is where I often go to make a small purchase and withdraw cash for free (can't stand the $3+ fees at ATM's these days).
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    dirtdude said:
    Money in a safe, now that's old school bro.
    It's money she hides to build up money for things like vacations and emergencies.
    I can't get in it. It takes a key, the code, thumbprint and you have to stand on your head and chant some incantation. 
    Then, if you are lucky, it will open.

Never works for me. 
    Works fine for me. I think she has some spell on it. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    I pay with cash.
    I need to get prepaid cards. My debit card got hacked a while back and I have barely shopped online since. Took about three weeks to get the money back in my account, which wasn't terrible. 
    Most prepaid cards have a fee attached to them.
    If you have a Dollar Store near you, they have the cheapest fees.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my bank. City National. Maybe it’s just my branch but they go out of their way to please the customers. Been with them for 20 years.