Home General Discussion

Best smoke for under 4 dollars

I recently discovered a Saint Luis Rey at my local B&M and was very surprised with this smoke especially for the price.  I usually like a little stronger cigar, but this was a well constructed cigar which tasted great.  I also like the Oliva series G.  I am rather new to cigars and i am trying everything i can that is resonably priced.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  

Comments

• docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I think 2 of the best values is the Rocky Patel CT, box of 20 for about $75 from Cigar.com. Also, the Indian Tabac Limited Reserve, box of 25, $50-$60 available at cigarsintl.com. (Cigar.com may have them, but they're not listed on the site. Call them) These are both mild smokes and 2 of my favorites.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Keep an eye on the daily deals, I've found some fantastic smokes for $1.89-$4.00. Most are normally much more expensive, but that's the beauty of the DD. Stuff like Gurkha Blue steel for $1.89, Padilla Habano torps for $1.89, Diesel's for around $2.50, RP Vintage 1990 torp's for $3.39, 5 Vegas Cask Strength II for $2.59 (wish they'd run that one again soon...), the list goes on. If it turns out you bought something to try and don't like it, you're not out much money, and they can always be traded off for something else. Right now I'm smoking an Oliveros 1927 and it is turning out to be a very tasty, well constructed stick. They normally go for $4. singles or $49. for a bundle of 20 here on Ccom. I would have guessed it was more expensive before I looked, good stuff...
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    2 of my favs are 5 Vegas Series A and Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet and if you are buying singles they are both right around $4.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Dustin1981:
    2 of my favs are 5 Vegas Series A and Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet and if you are buying singles they are both right around $4.
    Definitely have to agree on the CC...one of the best values, I think.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Vegas Cask Strength II
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    5 vegas Classic... Nica Libre....Gurkha Symphony.. Montesino by Fuentes. to name a few.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Duder2:
    Keep an eye on the daily deals, I've found some fantastic smokes for $1.89-$4.00. Most are normally much more expensive, but that's the beauty of the DD. Stuff like Gurkha Blue steel for $1.89, Padilla Habano torps for $1.89, Diesel's for around $2.50, RP Vintage 1990 torp's for $3.39, 5 Vegas Cask Strength II for $2.59 (wish they'd run that one again soon...), the list goes on. If it turns out you bought something to try and don't like it, you're not out much money, and they can always be traded off for something else. Right now I'm smoking an Oliveros 1927 and it is turning out to be a very tasty, well constructed stick. They normally go for $4. singles or $49. for a bundle of 20 here on Ccom. I would have guessed it was more expensive before I looked, good stuff...
    Ditto.... I've blown a lot of money when I didn't have to. This is the best way I've found to getting some really good smokes cheap and, in short quantity in case I didn't like them. Then you can trade some once you figure out what you like and don't (as has been said). Great resources here for that.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    For $4 and under budget you can smoke some excellent sticks. Hit the Ccom daily deal regular for variety. My favorites are MOW Ruination, and the Cu-avana Intenso among others
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I like SLR, but I find their burn to be inconsistant. At that price level some of my go-to sticks would be 5 Vegas, Diesel,and Nica Libre
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Never had a good SLR ...and I've had several , some looked delish but turned out ho-hum ...just not my cup of tea I guess .
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Cu-Avana Intenso, Diesel, DPG Cuban Classic, MoW Ruination. If you are not calling your orders in and begging for a hook up from Jeff or Tim or Alex at cigar.com, you are not going to get these for under $4. Call in and get to know your sales rep - they are awesome.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    If you like Nubs, try the Te Amo World Selection Series in the Grand Corto size (4x60). You can usually find these in stores for around $4 or you find a box of 15 online for around $46.

I know some on here don't like them, but I'm a big fan of the Sherpa Cafe as well. Nice Habano smoke IMO.

Last but not least, I could smoke the cigar.com cuban label all day every day.

I could mention a few more, but I'd be advertising competitors on cigar.com.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh and the Resposado '96s are awesome!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    clearlysuspect:
    Oh and the Resposado '96s are awesome!
    +1 for a inexpensive stick it's a good smoke.
  • I've fallen in love with Nica Libre lately, and they easily fit the price barrier. I also love the Padron 3000.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Diesel Diesel Diesel
  • got to go with the LHCOF, or the Gurkha Blue Steel (got the Gurk's for 3 bucks a stick...commen sence kicked in and said hey, you should buy 30 of them). Also love the Indian Tabak Super Fuerte Maduro's, and the Padilla Cazadores.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Fourtotheflush. I thought the Diesel was great. That was the only one I smoked right out of the box upon arrival. I let the remainder rest and I have some in my aging humi. I would suggest when ccom has them on the daily special, jump on it.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Anyone try the Flor de Olivas??? They look like they could be a regular stick for the price......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • lilwing88:
    Anyone try the Flor de Olivas??? They look like they could be a regular stick for the price......
    I've tried them. They smoke well, but they have a sweet cap. It tastes sort of like they dipped it in sugar. I've probably smoked 10 of them, and I still can't figure out if I like the sweet cap or not :)
    Unthought_Known:
    lilwing88:
    I've tried them. They smoke well, but they have a sweet cap. It tastes sort of like they dipped it in sugar. I've probably smoked 10 of them, and I still can't figure out if I like the sweet cap or not :)
    Hmmmmm. Interesting. I'll have to order a fiver and see if I like 'em.
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    Fourtotheflush:
    Diesel Diesel Diesel

unleaded

• lilwing88:
    Yep, I've had a few and I really like them, they are my go to cigar for the moment. That is until I try a bunch more as I'm still a newbie.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    For under $4, I have to hand it to 5 Vegas Classic and Padron 3000 every time. Super consistent and a great value.
  • lilwing88:
    They aren't bad. I think there are still better ones out there for the price.
    lilwing88:
    Unthought_Known:
    lilwing88:
    Hmmmmm. Interesting. I'll have to order a fiver and see if I like 'em.
    I found a B&M that carries them and had one. I tried a Maduro Toro. I think it was a littel on the dry side. (The B&M I got them from is a little questionable....) Anyways, after I got through the first quarter it turned out to be a pretty good stick for $3. The draw was good. Lots of thick oily smoke. Strong flavors. Mostly cedar and a little cocoa and leather. Even burn with strong ash. Only had to ash it three times. The only problem was that it only lasted about 45 minutes. Not too long for a Toro.

When I have to start paying out the a** for my kid's tuition, this will be my cigar of choice.............

You were right about the sweet cap. It was subtle, so I kind of liked it.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Almost all of Cigar.com's Segundos calculate out to be under 4 bones a piece, almost all of them. And it's a killer selection of cigars for wicked cheap!!

I want to get in on some of the much raved about Reposado '96s, but I need to make more room in my humi.