Home Cigar 101

New Smoker - Help with Valuation

BrianNKYBrianNKY Posts: 3
Hi New Friends, 

I have recently taken up cigars. I am thinking of making a few purchases in the next week. 

Anyways, for my high school graduation (2000) I was give a Montecristo "Le Cigare des Arts - 2000 Milennium" I have hard a hard time getting a valuation. It has maybe been out of its original white outter packaging 5 times.  It is the full set with the original cigars and everything. 

Does anyone have any ideas what its worth? I am thinking about selling it to buy some cigars that I will smoke on here. If its not worth much, I will keep. its a cool looking set. 

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @BrianNKY, welcome to the forum. I really would have no idea of the value of your goods, just wanted to say 'Hey"
    A little dirt never hurt
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm going to go out on a very sturdy limb and say that they were never stored in correct environment.  So 18 year old super dry crumbling flavorless crap is not going to be worth anything to 90% + of cigar smokers.  Now that being said you might get lucky and find that one guy that will offer you some actual money, but good luck with that.  You are better off keeping it for nostalgia, reading up on proper storage and starting over.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to go out on a limb too. But, I'm just gonna have to guess how sturdy it is.
    It's curious to me that this newbie first time poster with an interesting super rare box shows up at approximately the same time of day as yesterday's newbie first time poster who was asking about the yucky Acid Nefasto. Ya see where I'm going with this?

It's not the fault of any actual newbie, but I can't trust any newbie because I'm too busy wondering if it's a (or the) resident troll. Hey troll, I guess you love this huh? Got me second guessing all newbs. 

Welcome to the forum @BrianNKY ,........... just in case.  
  • BrianNKYBrianNKY Posts: 3
    These were stored in a closet for 18 years. Still smell tobacco when opened. So...likely not stored properly. 

Here is a pic with todays date and website. 

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter sure gets around lately .........

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without being stored properly, chances of getting top dollar are dismal at best.  I say smoke them.  Welcome to the forum!

(Not that'd I know what top dollar would be)
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • BrianNKYBrianNKY Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input, sounds like its best just to keep them. I have a 100+ bottle bourbon bar in the basement, so perhaps this will make a nice decoration and conversation piece on how I should have stored them and maybe made some money. 

Anyways, looking to buy my first storage device. Thanks again for the input. 
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BrianNKY said:

Anyways, looking to buy my first storage device. Thanks again for the input. 
    A very large cooler and Boveda packs 65 Rh or 69 Rh

Nice looking box of Montys

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.