Home Cigar 101

Humidifier question.

Cygnusx1Cygnusx1 Posts: 11
Hello Cigar community!
       I purchased a cabinet humidor back in May. It can hold 3500 cigars and has a Hydra LG humidifier on the bottom shelf which I filled with DW. When I got the humidor downstairs and unwrapped, I discovered the door was warped. The top of the door has a 3/8" gap. Company is sending a new door. I have seasoned the cabinet and have about 1200 cigars in there respective drawers. Since May I have closely monitored humidity and temp. All is holding 70 and 68. With the warped door the humidifier goes on about once every 5 minutes, so I have added some gel bead jars in the upper shelves. So I just checked my humidifier to add more DW and I am seeing 5 or 6 spots on the top of the sponge that look like mold. Now when I first filled the sponge, I was very careful not to pool the bottom with DW and used a flashlight to assure that I stopped filling when the water began to pool. I am concerned with a mold situation and having 1200 sticks in there. Do I need to worry or is this normal. This is my first humidifier of this level and I just don't know!

Comments

• Cygnusx1Cygnusx1 Posts: 11
    I should also mention, I am a 3-4 year cigar smoker, I have been purchasing from Cigar.com for about 2 1/2 years and this is my first post to the community!
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome

The sponge humidifiers are know for this. Throw it away. 
    Thank you deadman and 90+Irishman. So, just so I understand correctly... Remove the sponge, and fill the humidifier reservoir with gel beads? If so, should I use distilled water or propylene glycol? Hydra LG manufacturer said not to use PG but that may only be with the sponge. But I don't know if PG will damage the fans on the humidifier! So I guess I'm asking if I should 1) replace sponge with beads, and 2) use DW or PG? Thanks again for your responses! Happy smokes...
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Replace the sponge with beads and use distilled water. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Ok, will do. I may owe you some sticks for saving the stash!!:D Thanks!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks are needed we are happy to help out and glad to help ensure long enjoyment going forward for you 😉
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @Cygnusx1.
    I'm taking a newbie survey. (Not really,... I'm just asking you a few questions because I'm ridiculously curious.)
    Based on the info you provided, you are a long time purchaser at Cigar.com and have apparently accumulated a large collection of sticks.

1. Were you aware of the forum prior to now?
    2. If so, what was your impression? (Don't sugar coat it. We are self-admitted azzholes.) 
    3. What other online retailers have you purchased from? 
    4. How far do you have to drive for access to B&M cigar/pipe shops or cigar lounges?
    5 Do you have a local cigar friends to smoke with?
    6. What cigar publications/media do you read or youtubes you watch? 

One more thing,..... How old are you? 
     Animated GIF

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

I just want to know why (1) there has been a non-functioning door on this cabinet since May and the door has not arrived yet?

2.  How did you season this with the massive door gap so fast?

3.  If you have been accumulating cigars for four years or so what were they stored in before?

4.  Since you have been at this awhile how do you not know **** about storing cigars? 

5.  Why are you filling this in the cabinet?

6.  Why would you continue to run the damn thing if you saw mold in it?

There is a fan on those unites designed to move the humidified air, those mold spoors are being distributed throughout that unit right now as I type this.  And the fact that due to the crappy door this this thing is running nonstop, this might just be full ****.

I'm with Bob on this one too, lots of holes (pun intended) here.  But I just killed a few minutes at work so not bad.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Thank you all for the welcoming salvo! BTW I love Columbo and I think Jim Gaffigan is hilarious so, I'm in good company. To Bob_Luken, no I wasn't really aware of Cigar.com's forum. I started cigar smoking innocently enough in August of 2014. The cigar stores that I purchased from, as long as I'm allowed to mention them- Don Francisco cigars in East Brunswick, The Cigar Den- also East Brunswick and Lighthouse Cigars in Morganville. My friend introduced me to Cigar Int. and Famous Smoke about the same time I found Cigar.com. CI and C.com are affiliated, if I'm not mistaken. I've also gone to Leafs cigar bar (Famous Smoke) in Easton, PA. 4 or 5 times, but it is about 1 1/2 hours away from me. How I wish there were more places like that in Jersey! I don't go to those first 3 cigar stores much anymore except for something that I need or want fast. C.com and CI have become mainstays because of cost. I could not fill my 3500 count humidor at $16 - $24 a stick. Well, I could, but why should I... Everything I get online is less cost and the same or better quality. I have 4 friends that I smoke with, 2 of them are really good "Brothers", as I call them, that I get together with quite often. And as far as pulications, none. I just browse on the internet and read about different wrappers and brands. Even after only 4 years, I have found my faves and can classify myself as a Maduro lover. 2 1/2 years ago one of my "Brothers" gave me an Obsidian on my Anniversary, and I was hooked. Long and slow-steady burn, great draw with a complex build in flavours. I am also a scotch drinker. The Macallan 18 year is what I enjoy most, but I have gone with a few bourbons as well. Back to wrappers, I have read about Oscuros and am going to try some out. My humidor contents are Obsidians, Alec Bradley Tempus Maduros, Ashton Aged Maduros and VSG, A. Fuente Petite Corona Maduros, Drew Estates Tabak Especials Negro Dulce- (A great morning cigar with your coffee), Cifuentes Partagas 1845's, Pinar Del Rio Oscuro Cubana no.2's, and a bunch of singles and doubles that a purchased ranging from Padron, Cohiba, Ghurka, and Acid to Obsidian White Noise, Olivia's and Camacho's! I've had 4- 50 count humidors and always ran out of room, so I decided to go for the Tower Olde English cabinet humidor. It's been working and getting filled for about 5 months, and as my original post states, the door was warped and I now have a small mold issue that I caught quickly. That was when I internet searched cigar forums and saw that C.com had one. So here we are, and up to Bob_Lukens post, everyone has been extremely amicable and helpful. May I take a moment to ask you guys if there are grill marks on my back-side!!! :D:p  I think that covers your inquiries. I'm glad to be here and to hopefully contribute in the future! Torches Up...and Salud!
    Sorry, as for question #2, like I said every response that I received today was helpful, insightful and welcoming. They seem to be great people that I would get along with at any social (cigar smoking) event. I will assume the rest of the forums members are likewise. Until someone proves me otherwise, because there are always a few. However, that will not go against the entire forum. Judgement comes one person at a time! And... I am 46!B)
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

O.K so question three was taken care of. 

Take this as you will, I too have been called an **** form time to time, but here goes.

Get that humidifier the hell out of there now.  Do some research on what type of beads to use for your unit and go with those.  Be sure to slowly add the water those things swell up.  Remove all of the cigars currently in there and put in a cooler (humidified of course) until that door is replaced and functioning properly.  Use the newly beaded humidifier to re-season (over a week) once in working order.  Do not fill the water reservoir in the cabinet!  Sit back relax and not have to worry anymore.  Sorry for the Ball Busting.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Hey @Patrickbrick, I was entering these last 2 posts, when I noticed yours. 
    Question 1- Was explained in OP! Humidor company did not have any available, and I was not pulling that 250 lb. back out of my basement!
    Question 2- A 3/8" gap at the top corner is not much!
    Question 3- Read my replies to @Bob_Luken and you will have your answer!
    Question 4- This is my first cabinet humidor, I check it everyday and in 5 months this is the first problem I've encountered. And, apparently, is a common issue with these sponges. I spotted it immediatley and am taking the appropriate steps to rectify the situation, IE coming to a forum for help where I won't be judged. I haven't misrepresented myself as an expert (quite the contrary), I don't neglect my cigars and I take issue with your query!
    Question 4- Uhhhhh, What!
    Question 5- Who says it is still running in the humidor?

I understand all that and will take it as constructive criticism! Thank you.

No worries. I half read your post as tongue-in-cheek, and even your closing about sopping up some time at work kind of clinched it as humor. Just a little frustrated that I got this thing and the issue with the door... don't get me started. The company is in Michigan and the humidor was delivered from Florida. I called immediately and was offered $100 off! What! No no no, a warped door defeats the purpose of having a humidor! It was supposed to com in August and I figured I could slide it. Plus my basement is about 50% humidity. So I'm looking at this thing next to my bar and decide to season it and see what would happen. A week and a half of 70/71's and 70/68's was looking good. Plus I checked the unit to see if it was drying up but it was fine. After 2 weeks I began transferring my 180-200 cigars from my 4 humidors into the cabinet. 2 more weeks and all was looking good. Then I remembered, Humidors that are not filled to 1/2 or 2/3 capacity are counter productive, and began stocking 20 count boxes. I decided to stop after 1200 until the door came, and it got delayed. I was in a pickle that's for sure, but I just always stayed vigilant on checking the H/T daily. I have a digital hygrometer up top and was more worried about over humidity and under. It was always a little lower, around 60 so I decided to help by adding my 4 oz. Humicare gel bead jars up top. I was back up to 68 and 69 steadily so I was content. After I got the cabinet I gave one of my friends one of the 50 count humidors but kept the other 3 in reserve. I have transferred about 150 over to there and was told the door will be here this week. My fingers are crossed, but I am in good spirits, I think I've done pretty good so far. ;)
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Welcome to the forum @Cygnusx1,  good luck with the humidor.

Hope the watchdogs didn't bite too hard.
    A little dirt never hurt
    Thanks @dirtdude. No, it's all good. I'm probably a tad stressed, but will be back to great when the wait is over! Just got an email that a UPS delivery is set for tomorrow! :#  I see AZ next to your forum name. If that's Arizona, my wife and I were just out there the end of September. 4 days in Las Vegas and 3 days at the Grand Canyon. Unbelievable! I also have 2 1/2 acres in Littlefield that I'm not sure what to do with! But thanks for the welcome.  

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is Reyes, right?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, these guys are very awesome  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely a great place to be online. Awesome people around here.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."