Home General Discussion

Same Ole vHerf, updated link

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
tl,dr;

https://hangouts.google.com/call/iuOmfqYQaY-KSZ6jvyg2AEEE

So,

The link I've been using for Google Hangouts to get into the vHerf stopped working on my Android phone yesterday.  It is a plus.google.com link, and since Google is phasing out Google Plus (because of data breaches) I figure that might have something to do with this link not working for me.  Others were able to join, I was able to join on a PC and I presume others were able to join from iOS devices, but I haven't verified this.

Long story short, the plus.google.com link redirects to a hangouts.google.com link on my PC that does work on my Android and opens the same Google Hangout as we've always been using so I'm posting this link for those and sundry to use to get on the vHerf.

https://hangouts.google.com/call/iuOmfqYQaY-KSZ6jvyg2AEEE 
I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
Tagged:

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Chris

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On via the new link, thanks Chris, now come join me. 
    Apparently ricky can't on via his Ipad, but the old link works for him. This new one says error. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, guess we need both links.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Ok, guess we need both links.
    Don’t that suck butt crack!
    it appears the old link works on iPhone and iPad. The new one works on android. 
    They ended up being two different chats. He was on one and I was on the other. We ended up just calling each other. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m on the old link
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tried the new link and got on, but nobody was waiting for me.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    You're right, back to the drawing board.  I'll go more testing tomorrow.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    You're right, back to the drawing board.  I'll go more testing tomorrow.
    Are you saying the new link won't work on Apple products?  If they do, then we should all start using the new link.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Let me see if I can figure out how to use the existing Hangouts channel first before we go changing it up.  I've got some Apple devices I can test with if I borrow my Wife's iPad and use my work iPhone.

edited October 2018
    Ok, I got the new link wrong, here's the new link that's the same channel as the original link:

https://hangouts.google.com/call/Q1GYxo23zIuFVoJTN-r0AEEE?no_rd

I'm able to join on my computer and my Android phone.  I'll check my iPhone now

For my iPhone, I have to use the old link, but it's the same Hangouts channel:

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/event/ckieb7hgken9db3jbcfrif0coo8 

I've updated my sig with both links now to support both platforms.

So I checked on my computer, and saw that @Patrickbrick and @TNBigfoot68 were on the vherf, so I lit up my cigar and went to jump on via my android tablet. That new link led me to an empty chat with just me in it, and when I tried the old link it wouldn't let me join like it's been doing the past few days. So it seems like those two new links connect to the same chat, but not to the old chat that Patrick and Paul are using from their computers right now. I'll just hang out here until someone using a tablet jumps on, or until they switch to the new link. 
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I checked on my computer, and saw that @Patrickbrick and @TNBigfoot68 were on the vherf, so I lit up my cigar and went to jump on via my android tablet. That new link led me to an empty chat with just me in it, and when I tried the old link it wouldn't let me join like it's been doing the past few days. So it seems like those two new links connect to the same chat, but not to the old chat that Patrick and Paul are using from their computers right now. I'll just hang out here until someone using a tablet jumps on, or until they switch to the new link. 
    Dude they are totally **** with you, they're not even on right now.  Hahaha 
    Ok, so the new Android links I've been posting do work, but only when I post them. It seems that the link I've been using which is where a PC browser redirects to are temporary and change each time so I'll try and figure out if there's a better solution.

tl;dr:

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/event/ckieb7hgken9db3jbcfrif0coo8

Did some more research and testing and it looks like I've figured out how to transpose the link to the hangouts.google.com format from the plus.google.com format for the recurring event and not just the link to the existing call.

Android link, may have to save it in Evernote or another note app that lets you click on hyperlink to launch in Hangouts instead of taking you to the Google Play store:

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/event/ckieb7hgken9db3jbcfrif0coo8

IOS Link is the old link.  I've updated my sig.

Android Link

iOS Apple Link

Yakster said:.  I've updated my sig.

Funny thing, with the new link I don't have to launch from Evernote on my Android phone, it works from Chrome from this site.

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Yakster said:.  I've updated my sig.

Funny thing, with the new link I don't have to launch from Evernote on my Android phone, it works from Chrome from this site.
    Me too. I still saved the link anyway
    I'll be on for a few hours.