Home Pipes

Custom commissioned pipe

Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Pipes
If you could commission a one of a kind pipe from a carver, what mix of shapes/style/features/materials would you pick?
Post edited by Captain_Call on

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Parejo, perfecto, pyramid, rubusto, double robusto.

I'm sorry.

(Not sorry.) 
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta keep that troll of the week crown somehow. No harm no foul
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And who would you commission the work with?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    edited November 2018
    peter4jc said:
    And who would you commission the work with?
    I figure it's like any custom artwork, I'd have to see their portfolio to see if their styles and strengths lend themselves to my ideas. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with Scott Thile from http://www.sethilepipes.com/
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m really drawn to classic shapes so I’m not sure I’d commission something but if I did I’d probably do some riff on a bent Dublin. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    light billiard with a thin bit, smooth finish preferred 
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go through these phases. I had a few pokes commissioned. I was really into freehand. Now I am into long pipes but not church wardens. Leaning more towards classic shapes as well. First I'd have to pick the maker and see their work and pick and choose different pieces from what they have done. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly do not know enough about pipes to even begin. But, I do know what I like when I see it. You guys experiment i will pick from whats left or have one copied when i see it
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I really like a little bit of danish style curve through the heel and shank. I also think it would be pretty cool to have a flat bottomed shank that would allow it to sit and "rock" fore and aft. Right now something like a paneled blowfish type bowl is appealing to me with the flat bottom of my rocking shank flowing up through the heel to the crown (like some of the Maigurs Knets over in the pipe dreams thread) and then the cheeks of the bowl rounded out like an apple shape. I also like a little bit of a inward flared crown similar to a savinelli 311 poker. The stem is going to have to be a saddle with maybe a little flair down on the tenon end like some of the nording freehands. I like some of the wild colors too so maybe a bright red or green swirl acrylic for the stem or maybe a more reserved cumberland. For a shank accent I think some fordite could be neat in a color contrasting the stem, or maybe some mixed color ox horn if I were to go with a more muted red/brown/black Cumberland stem. Stummel material I think would be briar since the blowfish shape doesn't lend itself well to morta. I like morta and want one eventually but they seem not to be "warm" enough for much outside of the classic shapes. Alex Florov does some very impressive work with the blowfish, as does Peter Kotlyar, who made the elephant foot I came into earlier this year.

I didn't think I would be that long winded but I'm sure there's still something in leaving out.