Home Cigar 101

Magic Humidor?

VikingjimmyVikingjimmy Posts: 14 ✭✭
So at the suggestions of the forum, decided to take my humidor from 70% down to 65. I tried to anyway. I took the 70% packet out, and replaced it with the bigger, six month 65%... that was probably a week or so ago... according to my hygrometer, the % hasn’t changed and is still sitting at 70. I know I need to upgrade it, and I will soon. So, my question is about the reliability of those packets. Eventually I plan on getting a good humidifier, but figured I could get away with a year or so on the cheaper packs   Here’s the setup. I used two sided tape to secured it to the top. Also, @peter4jc that Kristoff was ON POINT. 

Unrelated... I had a very big celebration the other day. Had a Padron 50th.... I’m ruined. 

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The single best humidor investment I ever made was a digital/electronic hydrometer.
    You could keep the analog, it looks pretty on the box. IMHO
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go buy a good hydrometer like one of these... https://www.cigar.com/p/zederkoff-hygrometer-square-hygrometers/1488080/#p-131179
    Other wise you're just guessing at what's going on.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I'm going to say is not a bad thing. It's a good thing. You have way more boveda than you need for that size humidor. That's good because the extra boveda will not over-humidify but there's plenty of boveda there to be certain the job gets done. You don't even need to rush out and buy a digital hygrometer. Get one. But no rush. 
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echoing on what Bob said, yeah you have a nice hefty Boveda there for that small humidor. I trust them enough in my cooler setup that I can go weeks without having to check on the RH. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Vikingjimmy said .....

Unrelated... I had a very big celebration the other day. Had a Padron 50th.... I’m ruined. 
    @Vikingjimmy - Padron Anniversary series rock. My fav a all day long is Padron. Give your humidor time to adjust. I have noticed when I recharge or put 2 in a box it runs a little high but not much. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • VikingjimmyVikingjimmy Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    What I'm going to say is not a bad thing. It's a good thing. You have way more boveda than you need for that size humidor. That's good because the extra boveda will not over-humidify but there's plenty of boveda there to be certain the job gets done. You don't even need to rush out and buy a digital hygrometer. Get one. But no rush. 
    Yeah it was the only size I could find in that %. I figured it was better to have too much, than not enough. Appreciate it!
    ForMud said:
    Go buy a good hydrometer like one of these... https://www.cigar.com/p/zederkoff-hygrometer-square-hygrometers/1488080/#p-131179
    Other wise you're just guessing at what's going on.

Ok thanks for the pointer!
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vikingjimmy my B&M has the smaller 65% bags if you should ever need any. Totally wouldn't mind sending you a few.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    Markwell said:
    @Vikingjimmy my B&M has the smaller 65% bags if you should ever need any. Totally wouldn't mind sending you a few.
    Well brother I just got the big one about a week ago. It said it’s good for about 6 months, so I’ll stick with it for a while. I’m going on an extended trip in January and would like to throw one in a little travel case. I’ll get with you if I still can’t find some in a couple weeks. Appreciate it!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe the size of that boveda.  It won't take many of them to make a dozen!  ;-)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t tell from the photo but it appears as though thatnBoveda pack still has the cellophane wrapper on it. I doubt it’ll have any effect on the RH that way......
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the humidity where you live?
    Outside humidity can affect your humi humidity.
    If it's 80% outside,  you will have a hard time keeping your humidor humidity lower than that.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.