Home Pipes

Is Dunhill Nightcap the first of many to go?

dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
While wondering around on eBay, I noticed an auction for a tin of Dunhill Nightcap with “discontinued” in the title. I started checking and saw that it and more Dunhill blends are showing as No Longer Available at major sites. I found an article about British American Tobacco (makers of Dunhill cigars and pipe tobacco) merging with Reynolds America. 

If you have a favorite Dunhill blend as I do, you should stock up now. If your local B&M has Nightcap, buy it...it will be worth a lot more in a few months. 

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been out of production for a while. It was just so prolific in the market that it's just now starting to dry up
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they stopped producing it a year ago but the stocks are just now dwindling. Guys are panicking but McConnell's has already started reproducing all of them in Europe. Whether or not they will make it to the US is to be seen. 

I've also heard several Peterson lines were being discontinued like 3P's which has been out of stock everywhere including Europe for months. Stopped at my local last night and snagged the 4 tins they had left. Any of you guys need a tin or two of 3 P'**** me up. I am only keeping 1 or 2 for myself. 
    I speculate that the FDA garbage makes import an issue.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken, a year or so back Dunhill announced that they were getting out of Pipes, Pipe Tobacco, and Cigars.  They are continuing their premium cigarette line.  They are concentrating on Men's Fashion, or some crap like that.  

Too bad.  I didn't know that they did anything other than their tobacco related products, most of which I've always enjoyed.  Never tried one of their pipes, since they seemed quite overpriced, but I liked their pipe tobaccos, and the cigars were OK.  Heck, I even used to smoke their cigarettes back when I still did that.

Men's Fashion?

No thanks. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are already going crazy on eBay for Dunhill blends. Every day now I see them paying $25+ for cans that are still in stock at cigar.com. If I was not moving soon I would buy everything I can get my hands on and list it

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    I just looked on the site. They are out of stock on the big 3. They just haven't removed the listings yet
    Look on Pipes & cigars. Andy can get you anything from them also

That's the last site I would expect to have something in stock. Kind of surprises me
    They still had some earlier this morning 

I did find info that said Peterson is stopping production of 10 of its 17 blends. Someone contacted STG though and they said they are in full production and just not doing any more special blends like Christmas or Summer etc. I really have no idea what to believe because the rumored discontinued stuff is all backordered in the US. I am just buying and cellaring when I can. I have no clue about Dunhill blends so I wouldn't even know which ones to grab. I'm not too worried though as McConnells is reproducing all of them in Europe with similar names and tin art. 
    edited November 2018
    So it will be available in Europe. As far as our FDA is concerned, the McConnell versions are entirely new blends that must be tested and approved. Which is what killed the annual holiday blends in the first place. They couldn't make the sales/testing costs weigh out. Hopefully because of the much larger and year round market for the Dunhill blends, a few of them clear all the hurdles and show up, but I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Just in case any of y'all have been hiding under a rock...the Dunhill Blends were purchased by Peterson and are on the market as you are reading this post.  Same names, same artwork, Peterson brand.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that Mixture 965 will live on under the Peterson brand.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Blends are all the same made in the same factory by the same people. 

This seemed like the most appropriate thread to pose this question: Is Esoterica still making pipe tobacco? Do they actually exist? Is this something like the Indian Motorcycle, or Motocycle brand? Existing only on paper or in someone's imagination for decades until some unforeseen resurrection? Just wondering.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I scored a few tins a couple months back on P&C. Seems like the production is small on their tobacco so tracking it down is a crapshoot.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jsnake might be able to answer that. He used to have a line on it, not sure if he still does.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

I get a couple tins here and there. I’m on the waiting list at several retailers and each only allows 2 tins/bags per purchase, but bags are rare. They seem to mostly go to the B&M stores. As @avengethis said, @jsnake can usually get his hands on some if you want it

Thanks guys. I have more pipe tobacco than I'll probably ever smoke, so it's not a big deal. I just wondered because I never see it available, it's always "Currently out of stock".