Home General Discussion

Major oopsie on another forum...WOW

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Another forum I attend regularly, not a cigar forum, had a little problem. Little, as in a major and inadvertent (they say) unlocking and wide open of what is called on here PM. The back channel screams are going to be heard for years to come. People who thought others on the forum were their friends have been shocked into a reality that they had no idea existed. Bad mouthing and conspiracies abounded. It was caught pretty quick but only after the damage had been done, and a lot of it was printed out. I think the forum will cease to exist, but only after a considerable amount of real anger is handed out. OH what a tangled web we weave.......

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like life.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
     :D 
    That’s not a forum, you where just watching the news again.
    Hell, sounds exactly like my wife's family.
    I always ask them, what is the latest episode of the continuing saga of, "As the Stomach Turns."
    They don't find it funny. Not sure why.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will not join FB or any of the rest. I will not have an eavesdropping gadget in my home. The only cell phone I will ever have is at throwaway for long trips. I use 3 different browsers. Minimal personal information on the internet. VPN, and I still get paranoid.
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life lesson #4 Own your $hit. Never say/type about someone that you wouldn't say if they were standing in front of you.  Too many people hide behind thier screens and develop this false sense of importance/power. 

So tell me... were you the typer or printer...LOL. 
    Wait, we are supposed to be nice in the forum and then a$$holes in PMs?
    Oooooooooooooh!
    Well, I guess I've been doing it all wrong.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of calling someone an idiot but accidentally replying all.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this this something we can check out for ourselves? Pissed off people venting on the internet is good entertainment.  
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am actually much nicer in person, than I am on the forum.  B)
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Same here... Some days I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 words out
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Is this this something we can check out for ourselves? Pissed off people venting on the internet is good entertainment.  
    I got to the fiasco late, and can only read a lot of the venting. It seems that the "monitors" answered some of the complaints made (I think warranted) and a number of "contributors" have been banned from the forum.
    It is a shame really and I hope the forum survives.
    We all know about keyboard warriors and PC commandos. They are everywhere. Nothing but trolls in a lot of cases, that hide behind the anonymity of the internet and express how brave they are as long as people can't identify them or where they live. Fools, trouble makers and cowards, that, IMHO, have no lives, and this is the only way that they can get any attention. 
    The news blogs are full of them, and when they get called out they just change screen names and continue on.
    Luckily, it appears that the forum had only a few. That forum has a real registration process, and IPs and addresses are well monitored, so I don't see any new logins helping them out.
    As an aside and only my opinion. I think "social media" has done more harm then and good that should have come from it. We are our own worst enemies.