Home Cigar 101

I am New to world of Cigars

Chief_NewbieChief_Newbie Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in Cigar 101
Hello to all!! I've read allot so far on the forum and I've also done allot of research via YouTube and I've decided to smoke less cigarettes and start enjoying cigars. I just picked up my very first 4 pack of cigars they are the following Tatiana flavors ×1 Honey ×2 waking Dream ×1 Night Cap. They were in tins and buy 3 get 1 free. I don't have a humidor but the sales clerk told me they will last at least a week with no worry being that there in a sulifane wrapper. Iam smoking the honey cigar as I am writing this and as my very first smoke I am really enjoying it. What's the general consensus on Tatiana cigars? Are flavored cigars looked at differently, especially if I venture to a lounge? Any recommendations for flavored cigars, first small himidor, cutter and lighter? The 3.99 cutter I got from my local smoke shop is advertising fake Cubans, it worked but it's **** quality. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and reply to me. Oh by the way my name is John 😀

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome John, I'm not a fan of flavored cigars. (most guys here are not fans either)  I like the flavors of good tobacco alone. But Drew Estate is better at it than anyone else just based on what I've read about their infusion method. (Flavors absorbed instead of added) To get started use a small (new, or at least not smelly from food use,) food grade container, (tupperware or similar) and use a Boveda 60 gram 65% packet (or two) for humidification. This will remove all guesswork and hassle you often get from "beginner grade" humidors. The do more research on humidors and coolidors befor you invest more money into storage options. Good cutters will run you 25 to 30 and I recommend Xikar Xi2. It was my first good one and still going strong. Lighter choices are endless but Xikar has a replacement guarantee that makes them a great value. But a Bic lighter is fine for now. Check out some youtube videos and learn not to scorch your cigar when lighting, creating harsh flavors.   
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, @Chief_Newbie , you've put your foot on the path.  Many of us started with flavored, or at least sweet-tipped cigars, as @Bob_Luken said most of us don't anymore.  Don't let it bug you, you do what you like.  I would add to Bob's information that if possible get away from the cigarettes altogether.  A big problem for cigarette smokers is that out of habit one tends to inhale.  You don't want to do that.  Very bad indeed.  Should you make this error, sugary drinks tend to lessen the effect.  Remember this.  

Stick around for awhile, join in the fun, read the sticky posts and you'll learn a lot.  Welcome to the madhouse. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the general consensus on Tatiana cigars?
    There are a lot better for the money. 
    Are flavored cigars looked at differently, especially if I venture to a lounge?
    Probably. But, it's a cigar lounge, so who gives a crap what others think?
    If I went to a cigar lounge, I would expect that anyone coming in, will smoke the cigars they like.
    Any recommendations for flavored cigars, first small himidor, cutter and lighter?
    CAO Moontrance. 
    I wouldn't get a humidor for flavoreds, unless you plan on keeping only flavored cigars in it.
    Cutters are personal choices. Some prefer V-cut, some prefer Xikars and others prefer what ever is handy and will cut.
    Lighters, again is personal preference. But best to only use Zippos, if they have the butane kit, as the fuel in a regular zippo can taint the taste of the cigar.

Personally, not a huge fan of flavored cigars, but will smoke the Moontrance occasionally, cause the wife likes the smell of it.

Lighter, I use a triple flame torch lighter and like it.
    Cutter, my go-to is a Xikar Xi1. But only because it's usually the one I never lose and it's always sharp.

Just about everything with smoking cigars is preference.
    What you like, not what everyone else likes.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. You have received awesome advice. Enjoy. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.  The cheap little 3/4 torch lighters work amazing for <$10.  I would personally spend more on a decent cutter as that makes the biggest difference in experience to me.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
    BKDog said:
    an active humidifier such as Cigar Oasis or Humi Care Plus can be plugged in and the wire can feed through the drain plug on the Coleman cooler. 

too much mma GIF

Get it? Do ya get it? 

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    BKDog said:
    an active humidifier such as Cigar Oasis or Humi Care Plus can be plugged in and the wire can feed through the drain plug on the Coleman cooler. 

too much mma GIF

Get it? Do ya get it? 

I don't think it's overkill at all. Some people spend $12,000 on a watch, too. I'm somewhere in between, I think. :)
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    BKDog said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    BKDog said:

too much mma GIF

Get it? Do ya get it? 

I don't think it's overkill at all. Some people spend $12,000 on a watch, too. I'm somewhere in between, I think. :)

Cigar Oasis inside a coleman cooler is overkill, and It's not about money. 

You're posting about it as if it's normal and common in a "I am new to cigars" thread,..... And it was an almost involuntary response for me to demonstrate the term overkill. I'm gonna say the word mold too. Mold!

Not trying to be boss, I'm no expert, I'm wrong a lot, and it's not personal. I like you Brian, and you might even be the number one authority at Cigar Oasis in cooler setups,  but I'm thinking of what it was like when I was starting out, and so I'll still say no, because n
    ewbies got enough to deal with already. 

:)

• HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    As a fellow beginner, I see absolutely no reason to leave the Bodeva pack humidification for a long while... they are just too damn easy.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have about a half a pound of kitty litter and 8 60 gram boveda packs in a 70 qt cooler. I don’t even think about humidity, only what to smoke next 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used dissicant packs, cause the humidity here is rarely below 50%.
     ;) 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My standard advice.  Get a second job and a bigger humidor!  Welcome.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're posting about it as if it's normal and common in a "I am new to cigars" thread,..... And it was an almost involuntary response for me to demonstrate the term overkill. I'm gonna say the word mold too. Mold!

Not trying to be boss, I'm no expert, I'm wrong a lot, and it's not personal. I like you Brian, and you might even be the number one authority at Cigar Oasis in cooler setups,  but I'm thinking of what it was like when I was starting out, and so I'll still say no, because n
    ewbies got enough to deal with already. 

:)

Oh, I really hope you're wrong about mold. And I think you're a good guy, too.
    I am pretty confident it's fine. I was worried you thought it was overkill because it was too expensive or something, and that would be silly considering the cost of the cigar investment. Anyway, for what it's worth I am using a Humi-Care Plus in the cooler and the Cigar Oasis is in the 4 sq. ft. wooden humidor I fashioned out of an Amish trash bin cabinet. :)

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."