Home General Discussion

Sad Day

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
We just got home from the Vets, as we had to have our big guy Ben put to sleep. He's been struggling for a few days and today he could barely get up. He was so weak in his hind legs. R.I.P.
You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that.
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear for your loss brother as a fellow dog owner I know how much our four legged friends become family. May he Rest In Peace free from pain.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks... His life started out bad as he was brought into a no kill shelter and grabbed by the lead and a handful of hair and thrown out of the back of a pick up laying on the ground gasping for air. The director happened to be there and told the guy to get out. When they took him inside to examine him they found a spiked collar had been put on him as a puppy and never loosened up so it grew into his neck causing brain damage from lack of oxygen. He had seizures and his back legs would go out from under him. But his favorite thing was flowers. He loved to go around the yard and stick his nose in them and just smell them. He had a good life with us.
  • GlassjoeGlassjoe Posts: 25
    Thats bad news . He looks like a nice dog.
    'I think,' said Christopher Robin, 'that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.'
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aww I'm sorry to hear this. I prefer dogs over most people. My condolences. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry you lost your friend.

• TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear it's not easy but happy that you were able to give him a good life and love. 
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry for your loss. Been there a couple times, not pleasant. Thank you for providing a great home to Ben

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear this my brother.  Most of my dogs were rescue's or foundlings, some badly abused before they came to us.  The transformation that occurs in a dog when shown love and kindness is amazing and rewarding.  If only people responded as well.  I know you will miss him.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Ben
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Doug, cherish the times you had together.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss.  You gave Ben a good life, now he can rest easy.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks Everyone for your good thoughts. We are hurting but our other little guy Wally is very depressed. He's a terrier and too smart but he knows what happened and is grieving as much as we are. Yes Ben is at peace but how do you explain that to Wally.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always glad when an abused or abandoned dog is taken in by a good family. People who have never had a dog just don't understand how they integrate themselves into a loving family's home, and they bring so much good into it.
    RIP Ben, and say hello to all of our missed little friends
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this.
    No matter how much a person tries, they end up becoming part of the family and losing one is never easy.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I lost my smoking buddy a few years back. 15 yrs old. Cancer finally took him. It was the wifes dog but abandoned her and never left my side. Best dog ever

We did get a rescue dog to replace him. It was very abused and took a year or so for it to realize it would not be abused ever again

This dog hates everyone. Except us. Now she’s the best dog ever. 

I feel your pain
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You had a good number of years with Ben. I know it was good for both of you. Thinking of you, Sorry for your loss.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss 
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Know that you made his life happy, especially compared to what happened to him before.  It still hurts when you lose them.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss and pain.

When ever I read about these thing it hurts me. I used to wonder why dogs didn't live as long as we did, then I read this and it all made sense.

https://fourleggedlove.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/why-dogs-live-less-than-human-answer-of-a-6-year-old/
    ForMud said:
    Sorry for your loss and pain.

When ever I read about these thing it hurts me. I used to wonder why dogs didn't live as long as we did, then I read this and it all made sense.

https://fourleggedlove.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/why-dogs-live-less-than-human-answer-of-a-6-year-old/
    Thanks @ForMud for sending that link. I saw it years ago and forgot it. It really does make sense if you're a animal person.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss. There is nothing like those loyal loving companions, that are always at our side. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!