Home General Discussion

Depth of the hobby

I was wondering what y’all think about the hobby and it’s depth. So far ive been into cigars for about 2 months, still haven’t run out of things to research on the internet. I understand you can collect cigars, develop your palate, and learn about the different types of tobaccos and their origins but other than those things what keeps you interested? Where does the longevity come from for you personally and what will keep you for years to come? 

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolling your own cigars
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go on the www, check every online cigar store. Check all your local B&Ms. Count the different makers and types of cigars. Now start going through them and see what you like. See what ring size is best for you, as you sample your pallet will change so you may need to revisit some.  As some are discontinued and others are released there are more to sample and reassess which is your favorite.  Of course then you need to age some....and.....
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Learning about new tobaccos, developing my palate, these are a few things that I am not as excited about as I used to be, but still I get excited about smoking new blends that I think taste fantastic. And I still enjoy the ritual of smoking, and the friendships formed sharing the ritual.   

In the same way you wonder what keeps long-term enthusiasts interested, I wonder how people loose interest. Plenty of new forum members come here and are active for a while then fade away. I wonder if they lost interest in cigars or just the forum. I wonder if they're still smoking, or if they've slowed down or quit entirely.   
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    First, don't over-think it. 
    It's about relaxation and enjoyment.
    The thing about something that affects the senses is that there are a million combinations of how it can affect a person and their individual tastes.

We can be in the same place, under the same conditions and smoke the same cigar and each of us will have a different experience,
    At the same time, I can smoke a specific cigar one day and smoke the same cigar later and neither will have the same results.

Because of this, you will find yourself chasing the same experiences.
    You may smoke one cigar and have that almost euphoric sense to it and the next time, not so much. So you hunt for the next one that has that feel to it.
    And each time you find it, it reinforces the fact that you will attain it.

Make sense? 
     ;) 
    Post edited by 0patience on
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Markwell said:
    I see it as a lifestyle rather than a hobby. The brothers befriended, the knowledge gained, the excellent tobaccos we smoke again and again, and the utter relaxation encountered are all contributing factors to a very enjoyable existence. 
    The way you describe the lifestyle makes it sound good. Really good. And it makes me want to reconsider my longstanding rejection of that term. I smoke cigars in my cluttered garage. Not exactly the image that the industry seems interested in promoting as "the cigar lifestyle". I have always resented the use of that term based on my own connotation and the way cigar retailers use the term. I think the retailers use it in a way that attracts posers interested more in style than cigars.

And this video is an example of that abuse of the term. Even though they don't use the term once, you know they're thinkin' it.  

https://vimeo.com/104629010
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    For me hiking or visiting breweries and working towards the goal of tasting 5000 craft brews is my hobby. Smoking cigars just is... I think the men above are right in saying it's a lifestyle if you have to label it.

I don't smoke every day because I don't have the time and honestly I think that makes them so much better when I do. In that moment sitting on my patio some good tunes, a drink, chatting with a friend or two and toasting that cigar I get to put that week/day, schedules/deadlines behind me and relax. Enjoying the different aromas and flavors is something I can't imagine giving up.

Meeting this bunch of looney tunes was also a welcomed treat. I pop in and drop my two cents for what it's worth when I can and regardless if they agree or not I know they can be called upon at any time without judgment. Standup bunch of men & the women that train them. 😄

So now my question to you @HestonCV is what got you into the "hobby of cigars" was it the aromas and joy of smoking or was it the lure of interesting research and collection? Answer that and I think you'll be closer to understanding your own path. If you still frequent the forum that is...lol.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't improve on what's been said above.   Well spoken, gentlemen, I am proud to be a member here. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like cigars....They taste good and I'm relaxed while smoking them.

That's the long and short of it for me.....

Anytime the word "Lifestyle" is used to describes something I'm doing, it turns me off....Not what I'm doing, but to the people/companies that are using that term to make money off it. 
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it is my outlet as I rarely have much time for a break.
    Relaxation and pure enjoyment from the flavors of the stick to the aroma in the air. 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombing members of the Loo(ser) Crew. Priceless. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on the people you meet.  My wife has asthma and she feels bad when I have to go to cigar events alone.  I told her that cigar smokers are never alone.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    HestonCV said:
    I was wondering what y’all think about the hobby and it’s depth. So far ive been into cigars for about 2 months, still haven’t run out of things to research on the internet. I understand you can collect cigars, develop your palate, and learn about the different types of tobaccos and their origins but other than those things what keeps you interested? Where does the longevity come from for you personally and what will keep you for years to come? 
    What keeps me smoking cigars? The relaxation, the flavor, the brotherhood of the leaf, the memories that come to you when you light up a smoke that you havent had in years that reminds you of friends gone by, simple as that.

"Long ashes my friends."