Home General Discussion

Another take on seasoning?

When i got my glass top (plexi glass) humidor i did alot of research on seasoning methods. Came up with my own i think.
There are so many oppinions on whats right and wrong that someone new to cigars can get a little confused on the process of seasoning.
I thought "ima try somethin". I took a small glass bowl and filled it with distilled water. Microwaved it untill it started boiling. About a minute or so. Places it in the humi and went on with life. You can see the steam through the top instantly. I figured instead of wiping down and chancing mold or contaminants, or taking forever with bovedas that i could cram water on a molecular level (steam) into the wood. It seemed faster then waiting for the evaporation process. Another thing i like about this is you can use the same bowl of distilled water over and over. After a couple hours of the bowl sitting in the humidor it cools down. Just reheat it to repeat the process. 
I had my humidor seasoned in a couple of days. This process has worked great for me so far and ive done two others this way with good results. Even if you over saturate, a 2 way humidifier will absorb any extra humidity (in theory). After a couple days,threw my cigars in and called it good. Been maintaining 70 percent ever since.
Dont know if its right or wrong but it works.
Anyway, I Hope this helps someone.

Best Answer

Answers

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't want your humidor to take on water that quickly or parts can swell and you can end up with a bad for humidor that won't hold humidity.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    You don't want your humidor to take on water that quickly or parts can swell and you can end up with a bad for humidor that won't hold humidity.
    True, heat and humidity you run the risk of the wood warping. Same as putting the distilled water directly on to the wood. That’s why everyone recommendeds it to be a slow process.
  • Impala59Impala59 Posts: 3
    I will try the slower method on the next one. I know patience is key. Lol next time i will get the humi and season it BEFORE i get the cigars. Guess it was a bit rushed.
    Might be awhile though. The wife is getting suspicious on the cost of some of this stuff. Im running out of lies lol
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerd alert! 

If your distilled water was boiling in the microwave, then it was contaminated wth impurities to begin with...maybe from the container it was in. Distilled water will not boil in a microwave because it has no impurities in it for the bubbles to form around. It will become “superheated” and can explode when taken out of the microwave if it comes into contact with some sort of “impurity”. 

Google “microwave distilled water” for videos...it’s pretty cool

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom said:
    Here’s a clip from “Mythbusters” showing how violent distilled water can explode when superheated in the microwave. I have done this with a fork as they do (at 1:15 into the video) and it goes everywhere! 

https://youtu.be/1_OXM4mr_i0
    That's what she said!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom said:
    Here’s a clip from “Mythbusters” showing how violent distilled water can explode when superheated in the microwave. I have done this with a fork as they do (at 1:15 into the video) and it goes everywhere! 

Yep, once you break surface tension and introduce an impurity to it, it boils instantly and violently. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom said:

That's what she said!
    You don’t always have to fork her hard. In fact, sometime that’s not right, to do...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Some times you got to say please".  "I'm not going to cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar." Love that song well played Wayne.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.