Home Non Cigar Related

Government Shutdown

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering if anyone else is effected by it?

We will be OK as I am with defense and not furloughed. However my wife is. It will cut our income by half which means no eating out, no cigars, New Years Eve plans canceled, and no $ in the retirement fund.   I cant imagine what those with kids still home and only one income are doing.
Both sides are threatening to let it go on and on with no back pay. Some of us it will hurt, but others may be crushed by our elected officials doing anything to make the whitehouse look bad. 
Good luck to any others effected.
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it does not get in the way of SS or Medicaid.
    Have not looked at the particulars since there is nothing I can do about it.

Plenty of eggs, and we have well water which is far and away better then store bought.
    Diver43 said:
    I was wondering if anyone else is effected by it?

We will be OK as I am with defense and not furloughed. However my wife is. It will cut our income by half which means no eating out, no cigars, New Years Eve plans canceled, and no $ in the retirement fund.   I cant imagine what those with kids still home and only one income are doing.
    Both sides are threatening to let it go on and on with no back pay. Some of us it will hurt, but others may be crushed by our elected officials doing anything to make the white house look bad. 
    Good luck to any others effected.
    Amazing how far TDS will take a fool.
    Wish they would just hold their breath or run away.
    edited December 2018
    We saw the Repugnicans do it to Obama, I guess now the Dumbocrats are doing it to Trump.  

How about this, let's propose a new Constitutional amendment stating that in the event of a government shutdown that cannot be resolved in 5 working days, everyone in Congress loses their job with no hope of ever holding public office again, and new elections are held immediately.

Well, I like it anyway.  
    I forget. Was obozo trying to do something useful?.
    I like the idea of all the benefits those idiots get being stopped, including their pay and never getting it back.
    Would you really want to go through more elections?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, He was allegedly trying to get affordable health care for all U.S. citizens, although the evidence points more towards a plan to make all Health Care Insurance executives fabulously wealthy.  

I've never made a secret of the fact that I oppose the American Iron Curtain.  As I've long maintained, a wall is a wall on both sides of the wall.  

I've already seen The Wall, built to keep all of us capitalist westerners out of the Workers Paradise.  Lots of machine guns.  Concertina wire.  That sort of thing.  

I think our electronic surveillance techniques should take care of most real problems.  

Should we decide to utilize them.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think our electronic surveillance techniques should take care of most real problems.  

Should we decide to utilize them.
    I've heard that said quite often, and am still waiting to hear what that would look like.  I'm sure we have the technology to keep abreast of people trying to cross, but how does knowing they're crossing prevent them?

Video drones surveilling the border?  What happens when it spots a group of aliens crossing the border?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marco Rubio was just on the news.  "The Wall"  is several parts of boarder security. Some of it physical wall and fencing. Some new some older repaired, electronic and air surveillance and cameras.  Trump needs to be more articulate in making that point.   Senator Rubio also said that everyone he has talked to plans to ensure furloughed workers are paid.  Time will tell
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it all depends.
    Last time I was on furloughs, it was unpaid leave and it cost me quite a bit.
    We never made up that time or money.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    You will get back pay, don't forget that fear controls the masses.  This is just another government scare tactic to get the masses on board with their agenda.  We have all seen this smoke screen before. 
    I think you are right, We have gone through this for many years, and this is the first time I am unsure.  Time will tell
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told by a younger coworker that when the government shuts down like this our servicemen fighting overseas do not get paid  Is there any truth in that? Can't imagine those risking their tail feathers for this country not being compensated. 

Personally I'm all for a stronger boarder. I like a lot of what Trump brings to the table, but I'd ho-heartedly agree he needs to be a bit more articulate in voicing his agendas  
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Servicemen are paid by DOD, except Coast Guard and those military are getting paid, according to what I could find. Coast Guard falls under DOT and may not be getting paid.
    I haven't found anything that says DOT is paying Coast Guard.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many young people rely on one "news" source and believe everything they hear/read.  He is misinformed, let him know to "fact" check next time. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Many young people rely on one "news" source and believe everything they hear/read.  He is misinformed, let him know to "fact" check next time. 
    Aye. It was supposedly firsthand information from a friend in the army. Must be a liberal friend. I couldn't find any information to back up that tale.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CBP dude said as we crossed the border Friday "wish I was being paid for this"
    A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Repugnicans ... Dumbocrats ...  

Repugnicans... That's a new one on me. I like it.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Markwell said:
    I was told by a younger coworker that when the government shuts down like this our servicemen fighting overseas do not get paid  Is there any truth in that? Can't imagine those risking their tail feathers for this country not being compensated. 

Personally I'm all for a stronger boarder. I like a lot of what Trump brings to the table, but I'd ho-heartedly agree he needs to be a bit more articulate in voicing his agendas  
    Yes they effected, they continue their duty day as always, but may not get paid on pay day.

This time there was a CR that covers DOD so those in uniform and DOD Civilians (like myself) will continue to work and get paid as is normal.

However again, other Agencies such as Homeland Security, which the Coast Guard falls under, until the other day fell under mission essential, so they worked and did not know when they would get paid.  It was announced they would receive their pay on the 1st, but the 15 depends on our elected officials.  My wife works for Interior and is furloughed, while LEO personnel are working without knowing when they will get paid.  

I find it reprehensible that members of Congress and the Senate that are not doing their jobs, actually left Washington for the Holidays are the ones who without a doubt will receive their pay.
    Diver43 said: 

I find it reprehensible that members of Congress and the Senate that are not doing their jobs, actually left Washington for the Holidays are the ones who without a doubt will receive their pay.

The very pinnacle of elitist scumbag arrogance. 
    Aptly put.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to take my blood pressure pills before I can read any news about this.  The foremost thought in my mind when I read the specifics is a quote from a Drill Sergeant I once saw screaming at his troops in 1968; "You look like a bunch of monkeys trying to fvck  a football!"
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they should have all the Secret Service members stay home?
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it took me 2 weeks to notice the government had shut down... and I only learned about it from a flash news article.  Thankfully those clowns don't really have any direct affect on my day to day from what I can tell.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
    Maybe they should have all the Secret Service members stay home?
    They are Federal Agents.  They must work, and for sure will be paid once the furlough is over.
    Hawkeye said:
    I think it took me 2 weeks to notice the government had shut down... and I only learned about it from a flash news article.  Thankfully those clowns don't really have any direct affect on my day to day from what I can tell.
    And that is why this type of shut down/furlough does not work.
    Nobody cares until it effects them.