Home General Discussion

Cigar Bands On

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have noticed that some of the photos posted by you guys have the bands on while they are being smoked. :)
Why? :|
Of course it isn't as bad as the "celebrity" smoking with the cedar wrapping still on. :D

Comments

• MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same reasons as above for the most part. A lot of companies use too much paste on the bands and they end up glued to the tobacco wrapper. If you let it heat up, 9 times out of 10 it'll loosen that paste. Also helps prevent ripping the bands if you ate a person who likes to repurpose them. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that's what I was supposed to hold on to so as not to contaminate it.. ;)
    Ditto on the using it for structural integrity (and pictures).  I only remove if very loose. I always make a mess acting like I don't give a **ck what someone sees me smoking, but holding it up for them to see the band while I claw at it.   B)
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I guess I expected there to be for photos mostly.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    jd50ae said:
    I have noticed that some of the photos posted by you guys have the bands on while they are being smoked. :)

What I want to know @JD@jd50ae is why you asked such a question in such a way. Does it seem strange or wrong to you for us to leave the band on? 

edited January 2019
    Bob_Luken said:
    jd50ae said:

What I want to know @JD@jd50ae is why you asked such a question in such a way. Does it seem strange or wrong to you for us to leave the band on? 
    Well @2Bs@Bob_Luken , I guess because I don't, I thought it a bit odd. Had no idea what the reasons might be.
    jd50ae said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    jd50ae said:

Well @2Bs@Bob_Luken , I guess because I don't I think it a bit odd.
    You remove the band before you light up?
    Bob_Luken said:
    jd50ae said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    jd50ae said:

Why yes, yes I do.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Of course it isn't as bad as the "celebrity" smoking with the cedar wrapping still on. :D
    I leave the bands on due to two reasons. 1. I'm just too lazy to take them off. 2. I'd like to smoke the cigar till the bands get warm enough to slide off without tearing the cigar or the label...I then glue the label into my cigar book.

"Long ashes my friends."

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    jd50ae said:
    Your wording implies it is bad that we do it that way. You've never torn a wrapper removing the band and thought to yourself 'I could have left that band on and avoided this problem'? 
    Also if we're all smoking the same cigars everyday or posting pics of cigars with no bands then why bother even coming to a cigar forum at all? 
    Post edited by CharlieHeis on
    edited January 2019
    jd50ae said:
    Why is it bad that we do it? You've never torn a wrapper removing the band and thought to yourself 'I could have left that band on and avoided this problem'? 
    Also if we're all smoking the same cigars everyday or posting pics of cigars with no bands then why bother even coming to a cigar forum at all? 
    Who said it was bad? I didn't.  Curiosity is all it was. I don't do it, am I bad?
    Photos need bands, and I use to pose the band next to the cigar for posting. I shall endeavor to keep the bands on for all future photos. The mention of the cedar wrapping being smoked by an idiot was meant as a light hearted funny, so maybe a bad choice of words, but people will read into it what they want..
    I don't visit lounges or herfs so I am not familiar with what is the norm and i asked asked a question. My grandfather smoked cigars and he took the bands off. Growing up my next door neighbor took the bands off while enjoying a smoke on the porch. Even then a real hero bowed to the wife.
    So, according to your last sentence the only reason you are on this forum is to photograph all the different cigars you smoke. Well that is just great.
    I am on this forum (despite the objections of some lock stepped xxxxxxxx) to learn, to gather information, mostly about cigars I have not smoked. And then there is all the paraphernalia associated with cigars and enjoying them. I have saved a lot of money by paying attention to posts. I have even managed to avoid some really bad cigars. And I do not care what anyone thinks of my predilection for 5 Vegas, and they are not the only cigars I smoke.
    There are even some very well read individuals on this forum, who even with the occasional disagreement, I find interesting. I would mention them but it would probably start an unwanted discussion. One or two of them manage their own sites which I read because they actually hold my interest.
    I do not care if anyone does or does not remove the bands, I asked a simple question because I was curious.  
    If my curiosity offended anyone please accept my sincerest apologies and I am banning myself from the forum for the next hour.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half hour remains on your ban.  :)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Not offended at all, and I did edit the first sentence in my post. You're wording implies it is bad, though you may not have meant it that way. 

"So, according to your last sentence the only reason you are on this forum is to photograph all the different cigars you smoke."

No, what I meant by that was that seeing what others smoke is how I find out about cigars and new possibilities to try. I'm sure many others are here for this very reason. Hell, without this forum I'd still be paying retail for the General Cigar knock-offs of Cuban brands that really aren't very good. 

Post edited by CharlieHeis on
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Party?

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol I deleted party for some reason.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    poopy
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    jd50ae said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    jd50ae said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    jd50ae said:

Why yes, yes I do.
    And you satisfied my curiosity. I asked because you seemed to imply, but not explicitly state, that you always removed the band prior to lighting up, or otherwise describe when you did usually remove it.  And I don't see your method as a bad thing, unless there is damage to the wrapper. Occasionally I'll remove the band shortly after I light up,..... if I happen to start fidgeting with it,.... and it is loose enough not to risk a wrapper tear. To each his own.  
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    I leave mine on for several reasons.  One is that I have torn a wrapper taking it off "too early" in the smoke and the other being that I enjoy seeing what others are smoking and I assume there are other people like me.  90% of the sticks I have tried in the last 2 months have been ones I have seen multiple times on here in the "what are you smoking" threads.  I also like pestering people at the lounge and asking their opinions when I see someone smoking something I haven't had or that is on my list to try.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.