Home Cigar 101

"Sure Seal Technology"?

I'm about to buy my first real humidor (currently using an acrylic jar) and I have my eye on one but I'm hesitating because it doesn't mention that it has "sure seal technology". Does it matter?

Thanks.

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you wanting a humidor?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

bluesman44 said:
    I'm about to buy my first real humidor (currently using an acrylic jar) and I have my eye on one but I'm hesitating because it doesn't mention that it has "sure seal technology". Does it matter?

Thanks.

I'm not sure who owns the "sure seal technology" trademark. Perhaps it is owned by Quality Importers. They seem to have the market cornered on budget humidors. I don't think the term has any actual relevance except their own standard construction methods regarding how the lid seal is constructed. Which model are you looking at? There may be a few of us with experience with the exact one you are thinking of buying. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really want a traditional wood humidor don't cheap out.  Buy an expensive one that is solid, not veneer and you will be happy.  Go cheap and you will not be happy.
    And buy a bigger one than you think you will need.
    Season
    Then Boveda
    Digital Gauge, no analog 
    Don't be in a hurry
  • bluesman44bluesman44 Posts: 8
    @ peter4jc: Are you recommending the Tupperware solution? I was thinking about that. Maybe throwing in some Spanish cedar scraps. Is that what you do?
    Bob_Luken: I'm looking at the Michelangelo from 1st Class Humidors. It looks solid enough and the user ratings are all positive. (Yes, I know they can be fake.)
    edited January 2019
    Funny...one the one hand, some guys are saying go all out and get the highest quality (most expensive?) one, and on the other hand somebody is suggesting a Tupperware container. lol
    BTW, my humidor doesn't have to be pretty or polished...I just want it to work.
    Just watched some Tupperware humidor videos and I'm kinda liking the idea more and more by the minute. :)

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    @bluesman44 if you want a nice wood humidor that actually works then you need to spend the money on a high end unit. If you would rather spend that money on cigars then get the Tupperware or a cooler. Depends on what route you want to go. Just know that the cooler/Tupperware option is almost zero maintenance where as a wood unit needs to be seasoned and maintained. 

I started with a large Tupperware container, my wife thought it was ugly so she got me a new world 100ct. It was constant work maintaining and I quickly outgrew it. I now use a cooler.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice humidor does look sharp. I’ve still got 2 just because I like the look. Just remember to decide what they say it holds by half because the count is based on Cuban Coronas. And get a digital hygrometer while you’re at it. Read up on how to season it and how to calibrate the hygrometer. 
    edited January 2019
    peter4jc said:
    Awe, Bob, I thought you were going to post your usual bit about how to should be illegal to dupe newbs into thinking they 'need' a pretty, polished wood humidor, when what they really need is some Tupperware and some bovedas... you know, that post you have saved and can copy/paste when these people make their first post about pretty, polished wooden turds.

Gotta pace myself. Can't shake every newbie by the shoulders. Thanks for hitting the highlights though. 
    Bob_Luken: I'm looking at the Michelangelo from 1st Class Humidors. It looks solid enough and the user ratings are all positive. (Yes, I know they can be fake.)

I have this same humidor. (I might have two of them). I keep them inside a coleman xtreme 70qt cooler. It is a Quality Importers humidor, if I'm not mistaken, and goes by different names on different websites. Even though your particular website may not mention the sure seal technology for this model, I'm betting that it would come with the little sure seal label stuck somewhere on the inside of the humidor. Unfortunately, I will not rate this humidor very high.  I would only give you a 50/50 chance that humidor will hold a good seal, and even if it does, I am 90% certain you will become very frustrated for prolonged periods trying to maintain proper relative humidity. 
    Funny...one the one hand, some guys are saying go all out and get the highest quality (most expensive?) one, and on the other hand somebody is suggesting a Tupperware container. lol

Funny, but true. And the Michelangelo humidor you are looking at is still considered budget friendly, or cheap by knowledgeable cigar enthusiasts, but will still be impressive looking to almost everyone else on the planet. The spanish cedar smells so good.  
    BTW, my humidor doesn't have to be pretty or polished...I just want it to work.

And, if by "work" you mean keep you cigars stored at the proper humidity, then you would be better off with unconventional (plastic) storage. However, if you wish to impress your friends with a wooden humidor, (because, let's face it, plastic containers are not impressive,) You could always keep a wooden humidor inside a cooler and bring it out when guests are visiting. ( I don't ever do that myself, but I could.)  

Welcome to the forum @bluesman44  We have a great little group of regulars here who have helped me learn way more than I would have if I had not landed here. I hope you enjoy this place half as much as I do. 
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Bob.  FYI, I broke down and bought a Rubbermaid container on the way home. Probably holds about twenty cigars. This'll give me time to think.  :)
    Wise move.
    I still say get yourself a small, cheap, good looking humidor. They make a great place to store all the cutters and lighters you will pick up.
    While I'm thinking about it,...... Another storage tip for all who may see this thread, if you are collecting used boxes from your local cigar shop to store loose singles inside coolers/containers, make sure the used boxes are stored in the non-smoking area of the cigar shop. Used boxes stacked in the smoking section will absorb smoke and give off a stale ashtray odor.  
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Sure seal tech is just that they use a magnet under the wood between the lip and lower body. If you take a paper clip and round it around the lip it will stick to some part if it has sure seal tech.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)