Home General Discussion

Illusione recommendations?

HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
Illusione is doing an event at my local lounge this Thursday and I plan on picking up 5-10 sticks.  A few of them will be the one-offs they are offering and maybe one of the limited edition one-offs (at ~$30 a pop one is about all I can bring myself to buy).

Any recommendations of what other sticks from them I should try?  I have not had any of their offerings before.  I enjoy a vast variety of cigars at the moment.  Some of my recent favorites have been the Mi Querida, Intemperance, Tabernacle, Nub Cameroon, and Oliva V, G, and O.  

I did a search but figured this would be easier to get a good list going.  Much appreciated!

Just to note, the limited edition is a specialty blend (not sure what) super robusto 5.5x53 I believe while the other one-off blend is being offered in a corona, cononazo toro, corona gorda, cartochos (3 7/8x52), pyramid, robusto, and churchill.  I was planning on a cartochos and pyramid at least as I like both of those rolls generally.
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not gotten into the one-off line yet, but I am a huge illusione fan, in my opinion and for my tastes, you can't go wrong with any of their stuff.  I like everything Dion Giolito blends.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you decide, make it a lancero.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My MO would be to avoid the one-offs and stick to their standard fare.  One, it'll save you some money.  Two, it'll keep you from liking something you can't have more of.  Three, which is related to two, you'll get more variety and since you're wanting to explore their line of cigars, you may as well stick to stuff you can buy again if you like it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epernay for sure. It's not a one off but it's a winner anyway
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    88 Maduro is good also, but I really never had one of their’s that I didn’t like.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Great, thanks for the suggestions so far.  Maybe I will get 1 oneoff just to try it and then pick 10-20 from their normal line (1-2 of each type they stock).  Getting up to 20 will get me the box discount and plus they usually do a buy 20 get 8 free or something like that at these events.
    Sadly, they don't have that one at my B&M.  I will definitely pick some up if the vendor brings it in though.  
  • GrawlsGrawls Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely try an Epernay. They’re one of my favorites for sure. Fume D’amor is great also
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    My MO would be to avoid the one-offs and stick to their standard fare.  One, it'll save you some money.  Two, it'll keep you from liking something you can't have more of.  Three, which is related to two, you'll get more variety and since you're wanting to explore their line of cigars, you may as well stick to stuff you can buy again if you like it.

I've heard this advice elsewhere as well.  I picked up some One-Offs from @Bigshizza to try, I'll try and work one into my rotation tonight on the vHerf and let you know what I think.  The Rothchildes are a great winter smoke, I've been tempted to pick up a box of 50 some time.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster said:
     The Rothchildes are a great winter smoke, I've been tempted to pick up a box of 50 some time.

Every once in a while they'll go for ~$180 a box, which is fantastic for that stick.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still regret not buying two boxes for what I paid.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    I don't see any MK Ultra in there!  How could not get any of those?!?  LOL
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoking a One-off Corona, not bad but the other Illusione cigars are better.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    peter4jc said:
    They didn't have any of those.  I got one of every type they have, in both wrappers and multiple rolls for a lot of them.  Figured I would just give the entire gamut a run.
    Hawkeye said:
    peter4jc said:
    They didn't have any of those.  I got one of every type they have, in both wrappers and multiple rolls for a lot of them.  Figured I would just give the entire gamut a run.
    Remind me to send you one, with your coffee.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad selection. Sometime they bring the La Grande Class with them to events, and those are always worth picking up. The Cruzado is one of their best, and a good full bodies smoke. Fume de Amore is a really enjoyable lighter smoke.

I always keep the Rothshilds on hand. They age pretty well up to about 2 years. After that point the floral notes take a bit more forefront, which I personally don't care for. They're also cheap enough to hand to non-smoking friends guilt free.

If you enjoy Illusione, try out some Casa Fernandez cigars. They are co-owners of the Aganorsa crop that gives Illusione it's distinctive flavor.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that Arganorsa.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain