Home Pipes
Options

February cob burnout

Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in Pipes
It's that time of year again. Many smokers see cobs as inferior, cheap, throwaway items. This is simply not true. A well made cob will live a long and happy life with proper care. Feel free to join me if you like, spectate with vigor, spectate with disdain, or ignore me altogether. 

Some time ago a fellow cob enthusiast was heckled for his pipe choice by some snobs who believed that something so simple as stummel material made them superior. This fellow enthusiast decided he would perform a test to see just how far he could go with his "disposable" pipe. He smoked 15 or more bowls a day for an entire month so obviously the concept is proven. We continue this burnout in camaraderie not to attempt to burn out our cobs, but to show that they simply won't if treated right.

One rule, and that is the one cob. It can be new, your old reliable, factory produced or a home made, any make or model, but all pipe tobacco for the month of February must be smoked in this one cob.

I've decided to use the same pipe I used last year so it's already got a solid triple digit bowl count but I'm not sure how many. This chewed up, blackened devil anse will be my constant companion for the next 26 days.

Comments

• Options
    Bowls 1 and 2. Some crusty old Lane 1q i found in a pouch
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-Q crusty?  Boy, that must be old!  No real experience with cobs myself, but I'm interested to see how this goes.  I bought a "Cobbit" and some Frog Morton Across the Pond for a friend of mine a couple years ago, trying to get him to quit cigarettes.  He said he liked it, but I think he tossed the pipe when the tin was gone, and went back to smoking nasty Winstons.  I tried.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    My guess is at least 18 months of open air. And it still wasn't actually crusty. That was just hyperbole to show how old it was. That pg content is so high I'm not sure it would ever get dry.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in. My trusty old work cob that has seen years of abuse. I'll post a pic soon.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an old MM Bent Legend that I added a 5” acrylic stem to that I have smoked many hundreds of bowls in. It’s always a favorite go to pipe

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Bowl 3. Peter stokkebye English oriental supreme at a quick overnight camp
  • Options
    Bowl 4. JFH mellow monk by the fire
  • Options
    #5. More old 1q. Trying to get through it so I can fill the pouch with a balkan or english to fit this colder weather. looking at about 400 tons of wet distillers feed in the background. This place will burn that much up in less than 3 days
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting--is that for the distiller, from the distiller and spent?
  • Options
    This is the spent grains from the process of extracting ethanol from corn. It is commonly used as a high protein feed supplement for commercial cattle operations
  • Options
    So, here we are.  Did'ja burn through it?  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Not even close. Had some health issues shut me down early.
  • Options
    Hope you're doing better.