Home General Discussion

Dissertation Research Request

Admins- please let me know if this is against the rules of your forum!

My name is Samantha Washington, a clinical psychology doctoral student at the Wisconsin School of Professional Psychology in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. You are invited to participate in a research study examining the relationship between personality characteristics, psychological well-being, and tobacco use among adults in the United States who are currently using tobacco products or have used in the past. This research is being completed for a dissertation and the results may be presented or published in the future. The survey should take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete.

Please visit this web address to complete the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/tobaccousepersonalitycharacteristics

Thank you for your time. 

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um, Samantha, we're probably going to be concerned that this is another "How horrible toxic masculinity affects culture" kind of survey.  And, we get messed with.  A lot.  A LOT.  Be patient. Open up a little.  Let us know you're for real.  Maybe you'll get results. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would add that 2B @Bob_Luken would be a great subject. A little skepticism would, I think, be a boon to any study. Since most of you would be sooo nice and do your best to give answers that sound good.  
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's my understanding there's nothing professional about psychology, as they're just two bit hustlers for the pharmaceutical industry. Amend that definition to the medical journal along with every other disorder you can dream up and treat with a chemical and never cure.

<3

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This used to be a safe space. Buy yourself a mailing list, Sam, and bugger off.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Milwaukee you say🤔 Peter help her out in person. I'm sure an old curmudgeon like yourself could provide some great insight @peter4jc
    Hubba hubba!

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    edited February 2019
    How many of you actually clicked on the link?
    Well I did.
    SurveyMonkey is not fake as far as I know or have heard.
    So why all the disparaging remarks?
    It appears that after usage questions it goes right into personality and gives you ample opportunity to characterize yourselfs in glowing terms.
    This is not one of the tired ridiculous trolls we are hit with on a regular basis and appears to be very legitimate. Appears to be very similar to the questions you've answered on military, government or job applications in the past, and it is anonymous.

Of course the study could be presented as fodder against what I consider to be a last bastion of freedom and mind your own darn business.
    And if it were not for our female/lady/person members I would also be a bit leery, like @Amos_Umwhat , about the masculine toxicity angle.
    But they are making pot legal, there is that.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we can prove we’re not a bunch of **** 😂
    edited February 2019
    deadman said:
    So we can prove we’re not a bunch of **** 😂
    Most would be able to, with ease. But some.....well..no matter how hard they try. >:)
    And we would never know, because it appears to be anonymous.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might consider as long as your standard is the DSM IV and not the DSM V, I am not PC and do not like the language/definition amendments they made in V.  So Samantha, if you still use the IV please let me know. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    I did not go all the way to the end but there should be something about how many were cigarette smokers before changing to cigars or pipes.
    edited February 2019
    Ok @samantha_washington2 I took your survey and have a few tips. 
    1. Remove the political affiliation questions. I know this is popular to segregate by political party on college campuses now but rise above your peers and don’t be that a$$hole. 

2. The lines of questioning was repetitive. If you want people to participate then make it convenient. You could have gathered your information in 10 minutes instead of 30. 
    There is a reason why the questions are repetitive. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • deadman said:
    Ok @samantha_washington2 I took your survey and have a few tips. 
    1. Remove the political affiliation questions. I know this is popular to segregate by political party on college campuses now but rise above your peers and don’t be that a$$hole. 

2. The lines of questioning was repetitive. If you want people to participate then make it convenient. You could have gathered your information in 10 minutes instead of 30. 
    Thank you for your participation and for the feedback! I am using questionnaires developed by other researchers, and as such, I cannot edit the questions included.  :/
    I know.
    😂 But still wanted to complain about it. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your participation and for the feedback! I am using questionnaires developed by other researchers, and as such, I cannot edit the questions included.  :/
    Using questions by other researchers. 
    To be honest, if you are using other researcher's questions, then how are you coming to your conclusion on your own dissertation?
    Seems to me, that using questionnaires developed by others, will draw the conclusions of others, not yourself. 

Wanna know the difference between pipe/cigar smokers and other tobacco users?
    We make up our own minds, we don't smoke pipes or cigars to be part of the "in" crowd, because, quite frankly, we don't care what anyone else thinks.
    Most of us are pioneers, outcasts, leaders and people who have drive.
    We don't follow the crowd. We cut our own paths.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please visit this web address to complete the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/tobaccousepersonalitycharacteristics

Thank you for your time. 

You've got to make this shorter. I lost all will to live at about 5 minutes into the thing.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    0patience said:
    Using questions by other researchers. 
    To be honest, if you are using other researcher's questions, then how are you coming to your conclusion on your own dissertation?
    Seems to me, that using questionnaires developed by others, will draw the conclusions of others, not yourself. 

Wanna know the difference between pipe/cigar smokers and other tobacco users?
    We make up our own minds, we don't smoke pipes or cigars to be part of the "in" crowd, because, quite frankly, we don't care what anyone else thinks.
    Most of us are pioneers, outcasts, leaders and people who have drive.
    We don't follow the crowd. We cut our own paths.

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW who the hellll here smokes premium seegars?
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

I also forgot about how the DSM V added the crap that lets insurance carriers to get scammed into thinking they need help.  The V states that if a person does not meet any of the afore mentioned criteria then then fall into a new grouping of still need help so accept the insurance claim please.  Of course I am paraphrasing. 
    MOW badge received.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who believes you can be anonymous, either on line or on your phone,.......
    I don't think I need to finish that statement.  :/
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might consider as long as your standard is the DSM IV and not the DSM V, I am not PC and do not like the language/definition amendments they made in V.  So Samantha, if you still use the IV please let me know. 
    I also forgot about how the DSM V added the crap that lets insurance carriers to get scammed into thinking they need help.  The V states that if a person does not meet any of the afore mentioned criteria then then fall into a new grouping of still need help so accept the insurance claim please.  Of course I am paraphrasing. 
    Pulp Fiction Check Out The Big Brain On Brett GIF
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

You're the only person I know who reads the DSMs and also your complete health insurance policy.

Oh, and cigars didn't make me an arse, I was born that way.  They've mellowed me, if anything.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's attempting the Jedi-MindHump. Appears spotty in it's success..  B)