Home General Discussion

1940’s American Cedar chest

I have an opportunity to buy a 1940’s American cedar chest. Can I line it with Spanish cedar to make it a humidor? Is that a good idea for cigars or should I avoid it?
Tagged:

Comments

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If it's what you're going for aesthetically, and if money isn't a concern then I suppose that is a good option to try. Will it hold a good seal? If you're only lining it with Spanish Cedar veneer, or stock wood? Again, if this is about appearance over function, then it's your deal to bargain with.
    I think this site has a really nice cedar chest humidor for around $150 that would be "better" as far as humidification goes and still retain the appearance of a nice chest. https://www.cigar.com/p/havana-foot-locker-humidor-humidors/1467276/#p-12236

But, if all you're going for is proper conditions for cigar keeping in a larger container, then a Coleman cooler would be the best option to consider, or some quality brand plastic container with a rubber gasket for the lid.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think the cedar that chest is made of us American aromatic cedar.  It's kind of a kerosine based aroma and may taint your cigars.  I'd probably try a couple of cigars the 1st 6 months before I committed an entire stash.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
    84CJ7 said:
    I would think the cedar that chest is made of us American aromatic cedar.  It's kind of a kerosine based aroma and may taint your cigars.  I'd probably try a couple of cigars the 1st 6 months before I committed an entire stash.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Yeah, but it's more than 80 years old. I have some aromatic red cedar in my project humidor I've been testing since I don't trust everything I read on the internet, and several months in I don't have any flavor issues.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    What size chest are we talking about?  Steamer trunk?  If so, fill it with Tupperware containers with boveda packs in them.  Looks good on the outside, works good on the inside, no flavor issues.

Now that's ingenuity!
  • BrittenSPBrittenSP Posts: 2
    What size chest are we talking about?  Steamer trunk?  If so, fill it with Tupperware containers with boveda packs in them.  Looks good on the outside, works good on the inside, no flavor issues.
    That really is one great idea. But how confident are you in the Boveda packs? It gets so dry here in OK during the winters that four 84% packs can’t even keep my 50 cigar desktop humidor at 65%. Summers are fine though
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    BrittenSP said:
    That really is one great idea. But how confident are you in the Boveda packs? It gets so dry here in OK during the winters that four 84% packs can’t even keep my 50 cigar desktop humidor at 65%. Summers are fine though
    100% confident,  change out every 6 months.  And seal the Tupperware, of course.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, no issues in Tupperware.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    BrittenSP said:

Yup, that's because the wood breathes and is constantly fighting with the external environment. Plastic does not have this problem. Even glass doesn't have this problem.
    Yeah, have to seen those coolers inside fancy wood?  Same thing.

Yakster said:
    Yeah, have to seen those coolers inside fancy wood?  Same thing.

I'm talking about something marketed just to cigar smokers, genius.
    Yeah, I really like the idea.  Build it in so that the airtight lid seals in the tupperdor when you close the humidor, and you could remove the tupperdor for cleaning.

Yakster said:
    Yeah, I really like the idea.  Build it in so that the airtight lid seals in the tupperdor when you close the humidor, and you could remove the tupperdor for cleaning.

I think I'd use some red mahogany or a really nice maple burl. Sourced locally could save some money perhaps. That double wide really has me thinking.
    One for beer, one for cigars!

• raymb1raymb1 Posts: 11 ✭✭
    BrittenSP said:
    RH is very low also here in Northern VA.   I caulked all the seams with aquarium sealant.  It still takes 4 72% Boveda packs to keep it at 67% RH.  I'm assuming that it will take less Boveda packs in summer and fall.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    raymb1 said:
    BrittenSP said:
    RH is very low also here in Northern VA.   I caulked all the seams with aquarium sealant.  It still takes 4 72% Boveda packs to keep it at 67% RH.  I'm assuming that it will take less Boveda packs in summer and fall.

If you're using 84s to get results in the 60s, your humidor ain't workin'. Your moisture is gone with the wind.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BrittenSP said:
    You might have a leak
    Maybe you bought the British Boveda's, they run in metric. :D