Home Non Cigar Related

Taking the big step

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
Tomorrow I cancel my cable and phone service. Internet only. So I’m figuring I’ve got a lot of resistance coming from the cable company. 

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking the save thing myself. I need to convince the Wife.  May pay the $40 to get live TV on Hulu and add tithe premium channels cn my Hulu subscription.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine’s getting cancelled today too @Rhamlin. Content just isn’t worth what they charge.
    Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations.
    #f**kyourhashtags
  • Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawkeye said:
    I haven't had anything but internet and a few subscription services for about 10 years now.  I highly recommend it!  I pay $45 a month for internet and another ~$25 on video services.  Based on what I was paying 10 years ago I have saved over $20,000 in the past 10 years (was paying over $200 for cable and internet before)
    $20K is a lot of seegars, Hawk!
    Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations.
    #f**kyourhashtags
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to freedom. :)
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    We cancelled everything, except internet.
    We had several streaming TV options for a bit, to see what was gonna work best for us. After going through several streaming TV companies, we settled on Hulu, Netflix and Sling and of course, Amazon Prime. Everything now runs on our FireTV and we can take it anywhere with us, that has wifi.

We had with Directv for $160/month, not including Netflix and Hulu.
    Not including internet, now, we pay about $90/month for Sling, Netflix and Hulu and have almost all the channels we had with Directv.

It's taken us several months of trying different subscriptions, but I think it was worth trying a bunch to see what was going to work best for us.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more.  We cut the cord 5 years ago.  We have the same set up at @0patience .   4 TVs in the house too.
    Hasn't been a single day of regret.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got rid of the satellite months ago. Don’t even miss it. 
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been discussing this with my wife since the new Xfinity bill arrived a few days ago. 228 per month for cable and Internet!?!?
    Over a thousand channels and we probably watch 10, maybe 15.
    I will look in to options like Sling, Hulu, and NHL.
    Everyone knows I am tech challenged. Wish me luck! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I’ve got firestick, Netflix and Prime so I figured I won’t miss much. And pretty much all the channels I watched are on the stick. Saved 100$ a month. 
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been discussing this with the wife for a few months but I am hesitant because I am a heavy sports watcher. Can anyone confirm what services are best for sports? 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    I have been discussing this with the wife for a few months but I am hesitant because I am a heavy sports watcher. Can anyone confirm what services are best for sports? 
    With Wifey and Baby Girl? Your DVR must be LOADED!

"Hmm...maybe I can watch..DADDY!! Let's watch Nella the Princess Knight!"
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    NorCalR1 said:
    @CharlieHeis made the jump,  probably be the best resource for sports programming
    A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The One Who Must Be Obeyed won't even discuss it. She's addicted.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NorCalR1 said:
    I was very hesitant to cut the cord and now I wish I had done it sooner. I haven't missed much for sports. Check out the discussion I started in the non cigar related section. 

You live in a highly populated area so all your local channels are available on an antenna, which was my biggest speed bump.

I signed up for directvnow and I use the Fox Sports and ESPN apps. 
    Feel free to PM with any questions you may have. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I alone or don't you guys have an infinite to-do list???
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things that save money that can be used to fund future cigar purchases go to the top of the list.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Am I alone or don't you guys have an infinite to-do list???
    No, I'm not married.
    To expand on your sports question @NorCalR1, I was curious as to wether I would be able to watch the Super Bowl (not really concerned, just curious) and I found it on the CBS Sports app. We don't get the locals on the Directvnow service I pay for and CBS is the only network app you have to pay for to watch their programming, and the I'm not close enough to the towers to pull a good OTA signal I'm told. But you wouldn't have that problem.
    I wouldn't had a problem missing this game though.
    @CharlieHeis thanks for all the info. I’m looking at what is available in my area and seems to be pretty solids choices as well as mlb mobile 

I use MLB At Bat.
    I pay $20/year
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    I use MLB At Bat.
    I pay $20/year
    How does that work with the local games? I subscribe to the NHL version and the local team, the Minnesota Wild (which is not my team), are blacked out on here and I would have to watch on the local Fox Sports channel, which is no big deal as it is part of my directvnow package. Just curious. 
    edited February 2019
    It allows you live Tv on your "prefered" team. It's fairly limites on all games, bit it carried enough games that I was happy.
    Here os the info page.
    https://www.mlb.com/apps/atbat

Also folks, there is a pretty good free TV set up called PlutoTV
    https://pluto.tv
    Has a lot of channels and it is totally free.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    The good thing is I don’t watch my local team as I am a Dodgers fan so not having to see Giants game won’t bother me a bit ( the wifey will be upset but she chose that other team not me Lol)

edited February 2019
    For $20/year, 2 subscriptions aren't that bad. I think you can add to your existing subscription, but not sure.
    I watched most the Mariners and Rangers games last year. There were a couple I wasn't able to watch, but I was able to catch another game that day.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: