Home General Discussion

I am Jon and new and ****

Hey fellas, 

I am pretty new to cigars.  I like the Gurkha Beast and I have a badass dog.  Also I make mead, but not very well!

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum JonT
    A little dirt never hurt
  • JonTbeastJonTbeast Posts: 10
    Thanks bud!  
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't made mead in a few years, welcome aboard, Jon :)
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @JonTbeast 😎
    Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations.
    #f**kyourhashtags
    Thanks guys!  And I used to make mead often, but stopped for a few years.  Now I think I suck worse than I did as a noob.

i am hoping to make some decent batches to match with some cigars.  For now I stick with bourbon for a smoke.
    JonTbeast said:
    i am hoping to make some decent batches to match with some cigars.  For now I stick with bourbon for a smoke.
    I've never tried mead with a cigar, but I imagine it would be good. I mainly drink iced tea or a Capri Sun with a cigar, of course coffee and tea, too. My issue was using the right yeast for mead, and as I recall the kind used with champagne worked best for me. I made some terrible mead before. I really should hit up the Amish outlet locally and get some more honey and start some now that you have me thinking about it. 
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • CigarsonistCigarsonist Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Jon. New here myself. Beekeeper and home brewer as well. Glad to have you
    I actually have made wine with Capri sun!  

And i I believe I use Lavin EC-118 yeast.  Also I have read that you need to stir it daily for the first week to help it get enough oxygen.

lucky on being close to an Amish store!  I bet they have fantastic honey!!!
    JonTbeast said:

And i I believe I use Lavin EC-118 yeast.  Also I have read that you need to stir it daily for the first week to help it get enough oxygen.

lucky on being close to an Amish store!  I bet they have fantastic honey!!!

I'm gonna try that, thanks! Yes, I believe that's the yeast. Still have some in the freezer, might just get some fresh though...the bread yeast keeps for 6 years so far, lol.
    One Amish place I know of is good, fair prices. I know of two others which are insanely overpriced, mostly for the yuppies I guess. Capri Sun wine...ha! That's awesome!
    When you are stuck on an island with only 90 people, you get creative.
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven’t received the forum newsletter, shoot me your address and I’ll get a copy out to you. 
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Jon, I made Mead once in college, turned out pretty good, watch out for hangovers.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Jon. I have no idea what mead is
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    Welcome Jon. I have no idea what mead is
    It's alcohol made from honey I believe.  It's pretty dang good, I have a bottle on the wine "shelf" at home.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JonTbeast said:

Pruno doesn't count.

Welcome :)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome JonT, anyone who likes dogs, cigars, and bourbon can't be bad. You'll fit in well with the rest of us crazies. 
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!