Home Cigar 101

calibrating hygrometer (non-digital)

marold78marold78 Posts: 2
Hello, I bought a new humidor for my husband as his old one was getting too small and is having trouble keeping proper humidity level. I'm trying to calibrate the hygrometer via putting it in the plastic bag with the salt/water mixture. After 19hrs it has only gotten to 68 degrees. I have it sitting on our kitchen counter. Is that normal? I can't check with my husband as he is in the Army and not home for the next 7wks. This is a surprise for him. Thank you for any help. 

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a digital RH gauge and be happy.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Analog hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate. Spend the $5 or $6 it’ll take to buy a digital hygrometer. 

And, if possible, buy the kind that’s adjustable so it can be calibrated or re-calibrated if necessary. 

Youll thank me later....  😃
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a 10 second refresh rate, an accuracy near to -/+ 2%, and many of them costing less than $5 each, a digital hygrometer is the way to go. I especially like the round Humi-Care variety I pick up from auction sites like C-Bid, but have also had great fortune with the square digital ones found on Amazon for about $4 each, sold individually or in packs of three or five. Some of the adjustable digital hygrometers aren't that good, but you will have to test them out to see for yourself.
    The traditional analog hygrometers are slow to respond, many get stuck and require a tap to display current readings, often they do not show accurate readings, and the only trade off is they require no batteries.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the one you got is actually "in" the wood keep it. They make nice conversation objects. They look like something that belongs on a boat.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You didn't divulge the size of the new humidor, but I would reccomend buying a several  65% Boveda humidification packs at the cigar shop, and leave them in the humidor to start seasoning it. No peeking! 
    Your concern for your spouses cigars and the thoughtful gesture to purchase him a new humidor is AWSOME!  <3
    I can speak for all members here, thank him for his service to our country, and hope he stops in to say hello when he returns home.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are very thoughtful to take care of these cigars for your husband. I wish to point out that desktop humidors can be frustrating to regulate humidity, even for experienced cigar enthusiasts. Troubles with seasoning a new humidor are not uncommon. Keep posting here if you need any more help.