Home Cigar 101

Cigar Oasis

KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi Everyone, this is my first post.  I was using 3 small humidors and Boveda packs.  In December I picked up a Sure Seal double door 150ct display style humidor.  Has three rows of cedar trays and looks great.  I thought to save on long term costs I would pick up a Cigar Oasis excel plus 3.0. 

I need to refill every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.  That seems too often but I don’t know?  Should I have to refill that often?  

I did pick up some foam style sealant to see if that makes a difference.  

If I decide to move toward a coolador can I still utilize the Cigar Oasis with longer time between fills?

Thanks 

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I add distilled water to my Excel maybe every 2-3 months, and even then it still has water in it.
    I use it in 300 count foot locker type humidor.

PS Stay away from any sealant that is not vegetable/pectin based.
          I am just not a coolador kind of guy, but a bunch of folks on here love em. There is just something about a wood humidor that pleases me.
    Post edited by jd50ae on
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum man. I'd say you went above and beyond with the Oasis but it should do fine in a cooler. Speaking for myself, I'm a 100% boveda man whether it be a desktop or a cooler. They're the most cost effective for most setups and will last a lifetime if you recharge them regularly. Now if you get a tower humidor that's a whole different animal. 

Be sure to utilize that lovely search bar at the top of the page. There's already a ton of discussions on this topic. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How expensive are your cigars?
    The better the seal on your humidor, the better results you will have. Ask 10 people which humidification device is best, you might get 7 different answers, but I've learned from the folks around here that simple works best. A Coleman Xtreme cooler and Boveda pretty much is king and one of the least expensive options. Those Boveda will last a long time, close to a year inside a good cooler.
    If you want to use what you have, some concessions have to be made. I have all kinds of setups, ranging from simple to crazy, but that's just how I roll. I also use both the Cigar Oasis Plus and the Humi-Care EH Plus, and I like them both, but the Humi-Care I like a bit more because it has a warning alert when it runs low on water. I also use passive beads and other methods to humidify, but that's me. As long as you can maintain a constant RH you are looking for, you've got the golden ticket to success. As a final note, I will say that if I had to do it all over again, I would only use Boveda and coolers...they don't look pretty, but they work awesome.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks everyone for the great advise and input. I have spent a decent amount on the cigars so that is priority.  Based off of what jd50ae said I am refilling way too much!  

As cool as the display humidor looks it just doesn’t seem worth the effort and cost.  I should have known that going into it, but I am stubborn lol.  

What 300 ct humidor do you have?  I guess it’s time to decide wood humidor or coolador!   

jd50ae said:
    I add distilled water to my Excel maybe every 2-3 months, and even then it still has water in it.
    I use it in 300 count foot locker type humidor.

PS Stay away from any sealant that is not vegetable/pectin based.
          I am just not a coolador kind of guy, but a bunch of folks on here love em. There is just something about a wood humidor that pleases me.

BKDog said:
    How expensive are your cigars?
    The better the seal on your humidor, the better results you will have. Ask 10 people which humidification device is best, you might get 7 different answers, but I've learned from the folks around here that simple works best. A Coleman Xtreme cooler and Boveda pretty much is king and one of the least expensive options. Those Boveda will last a long time, close to a year inside a good cooler.
    If you want to use what you have, some concessions have to be made. I have all kinds of setups, ranging from simple to crazy, but that's just how I roll. I also use both the Cigar Oasis Plus and the Humi-Care EH Plus, and I like them both, but the Humi-Care I like a bit more because it has a warning alert when it runs low on water. I also use passive beads and other methods to humidify, but that's me. As long as you can maintain a constant RH you are looking for, you've got the golden ticket to success. As a final note, I will say that if I had to do it all over again, I would only use Boveda and coolers...they don't look pretty, but they work awesome.
    I had no idea in the cooler the Boveda could up to a year!  I agree may not look the best but if it works that well definitely something I need to consider. 
    Markwell said:
    Welcome to the forum man. I'd say you went above and beyond with the Oasis but it should do fine in a cooler. Speaking for myself, I'm a 100% boveda man whether it be a desktop or a cooler. They're the most cost effective for most setups and will last a lifetime if you recharge them regularly. Now if you get a tower humidor that's a whole different animal. 

Be sure to utilize that lovely search bar at the top of the page. There's already a ton of discussions on this topic. 
    Thanks for the welcome and input.  If I wouldn’t have sprung for the oasis I would probably switch back to the Boveda as well.  Only thing now is to figure out what humidor I want to use first.  The Boveda would get dried too quick I imagine in my current set up.  
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi Everyone, this is my first post.  I was using 3 small humidors and Boveda packs.  In December I picked up a Sure Seal double door 150ct display style humidor.  Has three rows of cedar trays and looks great.  I thought to save on long term costs I would pick up a Cigar Oasis excel plus 3.0. 

I need to refill every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.  That seems too often but I don’t know?  Should I have to refill that often?  

If I decide to move toward a coolador can I still utilize the Cigar Oasis with longer time between fills?

Thanks 
    Everybody's weather is a little bit different, depends where you are how much humidity you need to add or subtract. I am in Arizona so it's a pretty much add add add deal for me. Mrs. Dirt got me a display type humi a while back that had a little key to lock it,  I didnt think much about it, who is going to steal my cigars. But the lock actually sealed the unit a little tighter,  didn't use nearly the humidity to keep it happy.

Welcome to the forum brother.
    A little dirt never hurt
    edited February 2019

Havana Foot Locker Humidor - C.com carries them. Once in a while one will show up on "Sprint". Of course a smaller "go to" humidor is in easy access sitting on my desk. I got this one on Sean's (at C.com) recommendation. Seasoned it and put in the Excel, which he also told me about. Great combination.

dirtdude said:

Thanks 
    Everybody's weather is a little bit different, depends where you are how much humidity you need to add or subtract. I am in Arizona so it's a pretty much add add add deal for me. Mrs. Dirt got me a display type humi a while back that had a little key to lock it,  I didnt think much about it, who is going to steal my cigars. But the lock actually sealed the unit a little tighter,  didn't use nearly the humidity to keep it happy.

Welcome to the forum brother.
    Thanks!  I am in KS so not as dry as Arizona but not humid either. Maybe that has something to do with it.  How often do you refill your Cigar Oasis?  I always kept mine locked, just because I thought it would help with the seal as well.  I added some foam stripping and hopefully that will help.  
    jd50ae said:

Havana Foot Locker Humidor - C.com carries them. Once in a while one will show up on "Sprint". Of course a smaller "go to" humidor is in easy access sitting on my desk. I got this one on Sean's (at C.com) recommendation. Seasoned it and put in the Excel, which he also told me about. Great combination.

That is great looking! I only have one desktop humidor left, but that is for the small amount of infused.  The Tabaks are great.  If this cabinet style doesn’t work out I will look these up but I am really leaning toward a Coleman extreme as others have posted.  I appreciate the info on yours. 
    Kind of a fan of those coffee infused myself, and I keep them separate.

jd50ae said:
    Kind of a fan of those coffee infused myself, and I keep them separate.

The acid are too herbal for me, but I agree the Cafe Con Leche and dirt torpedo natural are great.