Home Non Cigar Related

Golf

danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone else play?
Such a stupid and frustrating game. I love it
"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to golf every day in the six months of decent weather we have here. Truly a frustrating game if one isn't good at it. I wasn't good at it but got better by fall and then basically had to start over every spring. But you won't have the weather issues that I had. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use to pretty often. Havent in 2 plus years though. Thought about getting new irons and starting again.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to get in a round a month from March - Nov. 
    It is truly a humbling game 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was scratch - for a long time, then I had to work crazy hours to make a great living. After that I kept working, then I had a kid, haven't been able to play since.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Pretty much limited to Driving Range lush status for the last few years.  B)
    I'm lefty but learned to play righty and so after a couple Cuba Libres, I'll borrow a right hand wood/driver and blast off a few.. Always freaks people out  :D
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a set of sticks, but when I step on a golf course, people in Scotland roll over in their graves!
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this year...

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll stick to doing doughnuts in the golf cart while my buddies are swinging lol. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once upon a time, back in the 90's three of my buddies and I would go out an golf quite often and have a blast. The course we belonged to was open year-round and we would go even in the winter sometimes. Of course, we'd always arrive with alcohol (shhHhhh!) and wouldn't really get a lot of golfing accomplished, but those golf carts sure are fun. They don't make very good bumper cars, though. We just blamed it on the damn ice...which sometimes fell onto our laps at the most inopportune moment. Ever play electric buggy polo-golf before?
    B)
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I'm a very avid golfer. I was offered a spot as a walk-on at the university I attended. I haven't played much in the last year because of work. Now I've got a neck issue and I don't know when I'll be able to play again.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I was scratch - for a long time, then I had to work crazy hours to make a great living. After that I kept working, then I had a kid, haven't been able to play since.
    I feel your pain. Aside from the kid, I'm in the same boat. My last round was 2 under. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a scratch golfer too.  After my tee shot I'd scratch my head and wonder where the ball went.

LOL.  But seriously... most rounds I'd play in the mid-70's...
    if it got much warmer than that I sweat too much and could get a good grip on the clubs.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just recently purchased new irons. I'm not sure when I want to get fitted for them. My swing is still all over the place.  I still tend to extreamly change my swing instead of letting the diff clubs do the work. 
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @danielzreyes here is your first free lesson.
    Takes two weeks off.........then quit.
    Got any Opus? 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just recently purchased new irons. I'm not sure when I want to get fitted for them. My swing is still all over the place.  I still tend to extreamly change my swing instead of letting the diff clubs do the work. 
    are you taking lessons? If you want to take it serious i would recommend a few lessons to get the basics down. That should help with the grip, swing, and all the **** that makes your ball end up in the lake.  
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Usaf06 said:
    are you taking lessons? If you want to take it serious i would recommend a few lessons to get the basics down. That should help with the grip, swing, and all the **** that makes your ball end up in the lake.  
    Does youtube count? 
    What I meant was, my swing speed is not consistent. 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just remind myself I don’t practice and hit hundreds of golf balls everyday and also not on the pro tour. Makes all my bad shots go away quicker.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to golf a couple times a week.  Then one of my buddies joined the army and the other moved to Hollyweird to make movies and TV (and he's been successful).

My handicap was something like 35.  I sucked.  There was always that one shot that kept bringing me back.  But when I had no friends to go with, it all ended.  Getting married to a non-golfer put the nail in the coffin.  I went once and to the range twice after saying "I do" 17 years ago.  Grad school move meant selling the clubs.

I have a friend now who's a local pro.  He gave me a couple lessons for fun and said I actually would have had potential with some help.  I was entirely self-taught.  I've thought about getting into it again, but just can't justify the $$$ for clubs, let alone greens fees. 

Nope, I've moved on to disc golf.  I'm just as bad, but a disc can be had for $10.  $25 for top of the line molds and plastics.  Courses are usually free.  Shorter playing time (courses are shorter).

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess golf is about hitting a target with a small white ball. When I want to hit a target I use a wood arrow, a lead round ball, or a fishing fly.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darts!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    What does everyone play with?
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a set of Ping irons and Taylormade driver. Wedges are Cleveland. Hardly have a moment to get on the course but I am going to try to tomorrow.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any round under 100 or so and I’m happy. I can hit a 5iron over 250 and pitching wedge 150 every time but my putting and short game is trash. Got some old Wilson Staff irons and woods but looking to buy some newer Taylor Mades, wouldn’t mind getting some real Persimmon woods too, always liked them.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    Taylor Made Burners about 7 years old.  Played in a night golf tourny last week.  Fairways looked like airport runways and it was a lot of fun.  Most of the game is talking $h!t to my buddies ...just like our poker games.

Used to do 3 gun competitions, was good enough to get a free gun from Daniel Defense if I wore their shirt at the competitions. Wish my golf game was 1/2 as good as that.