Home General Discussion

Fixing a Humidor

Hello! So I have an humidor that was passed down to me by my grandfather. It does not work but I would like to get it repaired and make it like new. I have tried googling multiple antique restorations and ways to repair humidors but I am not finding much luck. Any suggestions on where I could take it to restore it or other recommendations? I appreciate all the help!

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about it "does not work"?  Is the lid not attached, is there no seal lip, is it not wood?  Lots of questions.  Also could open a local phone book and call antique shops and ask who they use to restore whatever material it is.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi. asl? pics?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take it to any wood shop and ask them to put cedar veneers inside it.
    And I'm sure they can make sure it seals too.  Keep in mind you must season it with distilled water.  That will cause the wood to swell making the seal tight again.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For functionality throw it away and get Colman cooler, put Boveda packets inside, problem solved. Plastic is maintenance free. Buy a $8 hygrometer at Wal-Mart, replace the Boveda packets when humidity falls bellow 62, and you are in business. Keep the humidor for looks but they require more upkeep than a cooler.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."