Home Cigar 101

Coolidor

DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
So I outgrew my humi, have another on the way and in the interim am using a cooler.....here's what I did, have 3 boxes of cigars in it, all lids open, 2 boxes the cigars are in wrappers and the 3rd glass tubos....I have a case of Cohiba Red Dots that are in wrappers....I threw in the cigars with a digital hygro and the RH without adding anything at all except having the lid closed was good at 67%/65 degrees the Red Dots though the wrapper of the cigar smells musty for some reason....there is no signs of mold at all in cooler/boxes or on wrappers and the cigars smoke and taste just fine, I find this very odd that it has this musty kinda smell, any ideas? I do open the lid every so often and let it air as well...

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    So long as there's no mold and the cigars smoke fine, I can't think of any reason to worry; that musty smell may very well just be the plastic itself (you know how coolers can develop those odd smells after sitting for awhile). Over time that smell may seep in, but I'm not entirely sure.

The name of the game is maintaining temp and RH, and so long as you can do that, there's not much to worry about
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I can't really speak to the red dots as I haven't had many(maybe 1 or 2) but a musty smell is not an uncommon smell for a cigar.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I do believe it is the plastic you are smelling. when I had my coolidor I smelled the same thing. Its all good
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Now that I think about it, that smell will eventually seep in, but you won't notice it unless you're an aficionado. Think of the smell of the plastic like you would spanish cedar - eventually it'll seep in (after years), but you'll only notice if your palate is very refined and you can detect that sort of thing
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I have been pondering this post as I have several cooleridors and tupperidors and have experienced the same aroma...I never really thought of it as a "moldy" smell...it wasn't unpleasant. What I did was to add some spanish cedar to the bottom of each in the form of some "crumb catchers" made of spanish cedar. Now I have a very pleasant aroma inside my plastic storage containers... I honestly dont think you can beat the cost of storage and quantity you can store with the large plastic containers.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Hawk55:
    I have been pondering this post as I have several cooleridors and tupperidors and have experienced the same aroma...I never really thought of it as a "moldy" smell...it wasn't unpleasant. What I did was to add some spanish cedar to the bottom of each in the form of some "crumb catchers" made of spanish cedar. Now I have a very pleasant aroma inside my plastic storage containers... I honestly dont think you can beat the cost of storage and quantity you can store with the large plastic containers.
    I do the same. I have taken all my old boxes and broke them down. I lined the bottom of the coolerdor with the pieces.

I also don't just put cigars into the coolerdor, I place them into old boxes with the tops removed. Or I will lay the sticks onto a Spanish Cedar tray, and I also have 6 or eight boxes of unopened sticks box againg in there as well. There is so much cedar around my sticks that my coolerdor smells almost the same as my humi's do.
    So my concept has been verified!!! I think that works great. I have unopened wooden boxes, single stiks in and out of cellophane--but these are laid in a cedar drawer purchased separetely. I have opened boxes as well...so various stages of readiness... My containers smell heavenly.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Yes I neglected to mention all sticks are sitting in open boxes
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    I'm dying to try this! Seems like I'm always looking for more storage. I just have 3 questions if you guys can help:
    1. Do I need to let this breath a bit? I keep seeing that humis don't have perfect seal on purpose. Is the air in the cooler enough or maybe I open the drain plug (on most coolers)?
    2. Beads OK for humidification?
    3. Is this good for long term storage?
    I know this is tons to cover, but I don't want to screw up my sticks. Thanks for any help you can give.
    My coolerdor (and I assume others) does not have a perfect seal and it seems to transfer enough air that my sticks are happy. As this is my "smoking" huni, it gets opened regularly also.

Beads work great for humidification. I have a four foot coolerdor and I am using 2 pounds of the beads. There are some links at the forums for two different kinds. One is the Heartfelt beads and they work great. The other is for the same kind of beads from a different source. Several of us here have used these because they are about half the cost of the Heartfelt beads and they come with mesh bags to store the beads in. These beads work great.

It will last as storage for as long as you wish to use it as such. I do it because at this point I don't have enough space for a large cabinet humi, which is what I would need to replace this. One day I may have one built for me, but right now the coolerdor is the answer, and I have money tied up in sticks, and not furniture.
    Laker, thanks for the advice. This will really help out! I'm going to give this a shot!
    Another questuion for this thread..when storinging in boxes do you always remove the lids? How about storing boxes still in the cellophane wrap that comes on some?
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Well i am 95% done with my coolidor and here are some pics image
    Love the fake woodgrainimage
    Still gotta add pulls to the traysimage
    Gotta love the 65% beads doing their job
    Hawk55:
    Another questuion for this thread..when storinging in boxes do you always remove the lids? How about storing boxes still in the cellophane wrap that comes on some?
    I do remove the lids from MOST of the boxes, just because it is easier to get a stick without having the top open for five minutes while I rummage around and open lids, ect.

I do have a couple of unopened boxes in there as well. I store them the way I buy them so if they have cello on them when purchased I leave it on. That's just a personal preferrence, not required or anything.

And King... that "Colemandor" is looking really good.
    Thanks Laker. Same here...I try to store them as they are purchased, but if I take one out of a box I typically replace the lid. All of this is so subjective and I don't want my direction to ruin any of my stiks. So far so good...just starting to wonder about those boxes I have that are in cello and have never been opened but have been in the humi for over six months. I would really hate to open a box of my beloved stiks after 8 or 9 months and find that the contents are unraveled (sp) or ruined and I was expecting to find a well aged stik that I have been caring for and expecting good results. Well I truly suspect that at this point only time will tell.
    Maybe Alex could weigh in on what happens in the warehouse? I gotta think if the conditions are ok that they are alright in the box since that's how they were stored before they were shipped. Ccom also has the aged cigars available, wonder if they keep these in the original boxes?
    You make a good point ljl...I never thought of that. Especially if they offer aged stiks...how are they aged. Excellent, maybe Alex will jump in...and give us some expert information.