Home Non Cigar Related

Job Interview Said Don't Wear a Suit, do it Anyway?

CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I have a job interview on Wednesday. I was obviously planning to wear a suit but the email inviting me to the interview was very specific. Would it look like I couldn't take instruction, or was stubborn, if I wore one anyway? Or should I dress down a little bit in something like khakis and a button down? Here's what that part of the email said:

"Our dress is casual so please do not feel the need to wear a suit or slacks (jeans are absolutely appropriate)!"

Now obviously I'm not going to wear jeans, but wearing a suit seems like it would be stubborn. What would you do in that situation? 

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not. Good luck. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Cutoffs and a tank top and flip flops. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on the interview Calvin.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much just echoing what the rest said.  Slacks, button down long sleeve dress shirt, nice shoes, and shave/trim up the facial hair.

Good Luck!  🍀 
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

WILL
    Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army...

*Cut to Sean's office*

... in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had no problem with, get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, send in the Marines to secure the area" cause they don't give a ****. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass.

And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile, he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And, of course, the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon.

And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and ****' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the ****' job interviews, which sucks cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin', cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat, the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State.

So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure **** it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a drive by
    and LOOK
    at what everyone going in and out is wearing.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Guitarded said:

WILL
    Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army...

*Cut to Sean's office*

... in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had no problem with, get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, send in the Marines to secure the area" cause they don't give a ****. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass.

And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile, he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And, of course, the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon.

And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and ****' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the ****' job interviews, which sucks cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin', cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat, the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State.

So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure **** it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.
    Look, I didn't read all this, but I have two friends who may or may not work for some place that you may or may not be alluding to.  They both like their jobs to a great extent.  I have no idea what they do!  But they like their jobs.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Wear a suit without a tie. If you still prefer to be business professional, then wear a tie. It's better to be overdressed than underdressed. It's' preferable that you wear a navy blue or a charcoal gray (if you have either of those). 
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking along those lines though about it being a subtle test about following instruction. I'll go with khakis and a button down. 
    I just saw this. Consider wearing a blazer with your khakis...If you don't mind me asking, in which industry will the job be?
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking along those lines though about it being a subtle test about following instruction. I'll go with khakis and a button down. 
    I just saw this. Consider wearing a blazer with your khakis...If you don't mind me asking, in which industry will the job be?
    It's a third party logistics company. I've delivered there many times and they truly don't have a dress code. I've seen employees wearing sweat pants and t shirts a few different times. I have a decent pea coat that I was going to wear since it's still cold here.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dress like you could start working right after the interview.

That, and don't over do the make up..................... 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForMud said:
    Dress like you could start working right after the interview.

That, and don't over do the make up..................... 
    Definitely.  Glitter in the eye-shadow could seem to indicate that you're there more for your "business" than for business, makes them fear a "mee tooo" kind of environment.  

;)

(Seriously:  Best of luck!  Rootin' for you.)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!!
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you get the job. Best of luck.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a 5'er for the person interviewing you - bribes always get you in the door.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only interviewed for one job in my life and one of the questions was, "If I came to your house, would it be neat and kept up or messy and cluttered."

My response was, I have kids. Of course it's a mess. 
    Anyone who has kids and their house isn't a mess, probably doesn't work.

I got the job, the one I'm at now, but I walked away from that interview perplexed by the question.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a third party logistics company. I've delivered there many times and they truly don't have a dress code. I've seen employees wearing sweat pants and t shirts a few different times. I have a decent pea coat that I was going to wear since it's still cold here.
    I actually do interviews at a 3PL. I can tell you that I am more comfortable with someone wearing clean jeans, a nice shirt, and clean shoes for an interview. Anything more shows me that they will not do the work needed. Anything less shows me they don't care.

Can I ask which company?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, how'd it go?
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?