Home General Discussion

humidors

Trx680Trx680 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
I don't own a humidor. And I'm not a cigar aficionado who smokes regularly. I'll pick up one from the local cigar shop and smoke it that day. 
So I'm heading to Cuba next week and might pick up a box or three while I'm there. So I need to keep them from drying out...a humidor. 
There are the $50 wooden box humidors that holds 25 cigars. How well do these work?
What are the pros a cons of these? And what to look for when buying one? 

Comments

• Trx680Trx680 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Pro: visual appeal

Cons: it will never hold as much as advertised. More difficult to maintain.

Tips: take your 50 dollars and buy a large plastic storage tote that has the foam or rubber seal in the lid and the compression latches, and as many boveda packets as you have money left for. Your wallet, and cortisol levels will thank you
    thanks Capt!!

so I'm just using the $50 humidor as a reference. 
    Without getting too crazy what would be a decent humidor?
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tips: take your 50 dollars and buy a large plastic storage tote that has the foam or rubber seal in the lid and the compression latches, and as many boveda packets as you have money left for. Your wallet, and cortisol levels will thank you
    A large, shoe box size, sistema storage container from bed bath and beyond will easily hold 50 or so cigars. Ziploc weathershield is bigger and will hold boxes. Both have foam seals and latches.

A 60 gram boveda for every 20 cigars.

Very easy to maintain, not too large.

I had a wooden humidor once... once

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two sterilite 80 quart for me. Had two humidors I always messed with. Decided to upscale and went the plastic route. Between beads, bovedas, and the containers, I'm in about 100 dollars. You can't touch 160 quart capacity by any traditional means for remotely close to that price. I have great seals, enough room to stash whole boxes so I still have that nice cedar and tobacco blended smell, and all I lost was visual appeal. Wooden humidors are as much works of fine art as they are pieces of functional furniture. Good isn't cheap and cheap is rarely any good. So if you will be displaying your stuff on the mantle for all your guests to see, a wooden box might be nice but if you are like many of us and have to hide away your habit, might as well go plastic so it matches the rest of the totes in the basement. It's also more economical and as we all would say, the less you spend on maintenance and storage, the more you have for sticks.
  • Trx680Trx680 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

A large, shoe box size, sistema storage container from bed bath and beyond will easily hold 50 or so cigars. Ziploc weathershield is bigger and will hold boxes. Both have foam seals and latches.

A 60 gram boveda for every 20 cigars.

Very easy to maintain, not too large.

I had a wooden humidor once... once
    You say a 60 gram boveda. I'm looking them up on Amazon and they are listed in percentages. 65% 72% etc.
    Or am I looking after wrong ones?
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60 grams is size, 65% is the RH they stay at.  There have been 3 threads about this last week alone.  Do yourself/us a favor and do a search on this, you will find all the answers.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I'm guessing I'm not alone in my pet peeve; "Help me remember to...."

Which always brings my response:

"Screwe you, I have enough trouble remembering the crap I have to do"

:#
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that for new members all the threads are unread so it can take time for them to catch up to the latest posts 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Keep in mind that for new members all the threads are unread so it can take time for them to catch up to the latest posts 
    Maybe if they have questions, they should be searching even before reading unread posts...  just like you did when you first got here.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    60 grams is size, 65% is the RH they stay at.  There have been 3 threads about this last week alone.  Do yourself/us a favor and do a search on this, you will find all the answers.
    I say anyone that answers a thread like this w/o the OP proving they searched first gets blacklisted (or bombed to smithereens).

I get that the world of cigars, smoking them and storing them, is overwhelming when first starting.  But one of my life-long biggest pet peeves is people that want me to do their thinking for them.

I might be a díck, but I know I'm not alone on this... right @Patrickbrick

calm down tony montana GIF

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plastic and a larg Boveda is the cheaper and easiest way to go. But if you’re wanting a humidor because it looks sharp order a good one and not one of those cheap ones they offer with a crappy sampler. Also remember a 50 count really only hold about 30 normal size cigars. 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got the 62 Quart.  I imagine that the cigar retailer could install a Boveda holder to the lid and it would be awesome to see some brands vinyl wrap the enclosure with their logo / artwork.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )