Home Non Cigar Related

Un-intuitive Automatic Transmission Shifters

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in Non Cigar Related

Have any of you had to deal with these new designs? I have not had to yet with my vehicles but, I keep hearing about other folks problems, like taking it out of gear,...... at 60 mph,...  instead of turning down the volume like they intended.  

Chrysler Pacifica Dial

https://www.autotrader.com/auto-show/here-are-nine-weirdest-gear-shifters-car-industry-275653.xhtml

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why.....Just why?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Why.....Just why?

Not having a shift lever in the center console frees up lots of space that can be devoted to other groovy things.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can’t bang gears like that...and paddle shifters while cool don’t count...sorry. Lol
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    If a person doesn't learn after the first couple times, then they probably never will. 
    In the 70s, you could bump a floor shifter into neutral or worse, into reverse, whike you can turn the k n o b and have it go into neutral, you cannot go into reverse. Above certain speeds, the system won't allow the transmission to shift into reverse and will cause an "out if range" error.

And you can out it back in drive and resume your driving.

But I will agree the placement of it was stupid.

Edit: dammit Ccom, k n o b is a thing.
    WTF is it blocked for? We aren't pre-schoolers. 
    I'm gonna put k n o b in my signature. 
    They can ban me for it. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like the pedal to the metal power shifting her and rowing through em! Also a great way to blow 2nd and 3rd and I’ve done it. Lol
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still drive with two feet.
    And only 1 eye 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I propose we replace the word k n o b with **** whenever it comes up. **** creek. Shifting ****. ****-head. You get the drift.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are just fuckingstupid. Grow up
    edited March 2019
    Stubble said:
    Hell no. Give me splitters or give me death
    Looks like math...**** that!
    Dump the 9 speed and got to a 13 with double overdrive.
    In my old service truck I started out with a 9 speed Road Ranger and then when that transmission had problems I swapped it out for a 13 speed. So much better.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll stick with the 5 speed. Then again, when push button came out they probably said the same thing. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    In the 70s, one of my buddies had a 63 Dodge with push button transmission.
    If you didn't get the park button all the way in, the damn thing would roll on you.
    Setting the park brake was pretty much required.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a Dodge SW in 1968. I got to drive it when I was home on leave recovering from wounds.  V-8 engine and I could smoke the tires every time I punched the buttons. The back seat was big enough to roll around with my girlfriend. The good OLD days.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dad had a Chrysler Imperial.  The backseat was great.  I used to call it a motel room on wheels!