Home General Discussion

Do you keep a certain brand for passing?

VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was wondering if anyone keeps a little bundle of a certain stick for people who ask you for one when you're smoking and what the etiquette is...

IIusually carry my portable with me, like on the golf course.  If one of my buddies ask for one or I want to offer one, is it proper to give him the same thing that I'm smoking?  Can I give him something different?

I generally like a nice Maduro, and sometimes that's too much for the casual or occasional guys.  Sometimes I'll want to smoke my last Oliva Serie G, but then maybe I shouldn't bring it because I don't have 2. Will I offend him if I pull out a Cameroon or Connecticut wrapped stick?

For my regular crew, it's not an issue.  I know what they like and usually have something for them if they forget their traveldor or they're just plain mooches. 

If you guys do keep a certain brand, size, strength on hand for just this purpose, what is it?  What should be avoided? I've seen shade thrown at ghurka and Rocky Patel in these forums.  

Don't look ↑

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, I would only give something that I enjoy smoking. But I'm thinking of buying a bundle or a box of something that can be my pass out cigar
    Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they aren't cigar smokers, I'd limit them to smooth, well aged cigars that has decent flavor. I get why some folks aren't fond of Patel, he's got so many labels out there now it's really hard to keep up and the quality control isn't matching. Regardless, in my honest opinion you can't do wrong with handing out a RP Decade or a Sun Grown. The best would be the Romeo Y Julieta line, from their Bully to Reserve Maduro, all great and budget friendly. Gran Habano makes excellent cigars, La Gloria Cubana, Punch, there are so many great cigars that make nice giveaways and are often on sale in bulk.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So a lot of times people my age will be curious about cigars. They'll be steriotypical dry beggars because they don't know what that is. "Oh you smoke cigars...I've never had a cigar before...What are they like?" I don't want to blow the budget on these people because half the time they'll smoke it for 10 minutes and then give up. I also don't want to give them something that I myself wouldn't smoke. So I'll first determine whether they're cigarette smokers. If they are I'll give them a Diesel and make sure they know not to inhale. If not I'll grab a Man O' War virtue. These are both cigars I like but they're not expensive so if they don't like it it's no big deal. 
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I guess to answer your question, yes, It's ok to give them something different if they've never had one before. Tell them it's good for a beginner and explain why you chose it. If it's something you yourself like and smoke they shouldn't be offended. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, my wife doesn't smoke.
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are free to do what you want with them, but like @BKDog said you could be considerate of what you give them.  Possibly keeping it more budget while making it a nice intro cigar.  You may even gain a new cigar buddy who starts bringing his own on the course.  Nothing wrong giving the expensive ones as well, if it doesn’t bother you. I would just try to keep it fairly mild.  
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do actually.  I have a few 5 Vegas gold cigars on hand in case I get someone who has never, or very rarely, smokes a cigar wants to give it a try.  They are the mildest things I've found and can be had for a song, so it's nothing to keep a 5'er on hand just for that.  For guys who smoke a little more, or smoke cigarettes, I also keep some La Gloria Cubana Wavell (NC) on hand also.  These can also be bought on the cheap.  

Above that level, then I just hand out whatever I'm smoking.

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • CigarsonistCigarsonist Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Beggars can’t be choosers. I definitely agree that you don’t want to give them anything to dark and turn them off of cigars. It’s a gift. Does that mean you should keep some swishers on hand for people that want to try a cigar? No. But I wouldn’t go around handing out an opus x to someone that wouldn’t know it from a Cuban sandwich. Just my opinion! Was at a get together last night and brought a few RP Connecticut’s just because they’re a decent little smoke and I got the bundle really cheap. And everyone that has one enjoyed it
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoked a BLK WKS Rorschach with a friend a couple weeks ago and he had no clue how to smoke a cigar...was puffing on it like a freight train running her hotter than hell. He literally was smoking it 2x faster than me, had no idea how to ash it either. He'll be in training from now too as inhaling the smoke is not the best idea lol. 

So from now on I'll give a short quiz and if they pass they might receive a finer stick. "I've smoked cigars" doesn't qualify. 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I if I think there’s going to be someone who might want to try one I’ll usually take something that I like but that’s not very expensive. It’s been my experience that most who just want to try it give up before they are halfway through. 
    Rhamlin said:
    If I if I think there’s going to be someone who might want to try one I’ll usually take something that I like but that’s not very expensive. It’s been my experience that most who just want to try it give up before they are halfway through. 
    Got it, finish em off so they don't ask again Lol
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was wondering if anyone keeps a little bundle of a certain stick for people who ask you for one when you're smoking and what the etiquette is...
     I know what they like and usually have something for them if they forget their traveldor or they're just plain mooches. 

If you guys do keep a certain brand, size, strength on hand for just this purpose, what is it?  What should be avoided? I've seen shade thrown at ghurka and Rocky Patel in these forums.  

That's why there's Macanudo.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VegasFrank 
    Will I offend him if I pull out a Cameroon or Connecticut wrapped stick?

Would you be offended Tony @0patience
    A little dirt never hurt
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VegasFrank  If one of my buddies ask for one or I want to offer one, is it proper to give him the same thing that I'm smoking?  Can I give him something different?

If they are offended at that, I'd offer them the same thing the next time around to disallow them of the delusion that they are still friends.  And again a third time, if they still don't get the hint.   >:)

I don't think anyone who is a relative noob to cigars would assume your motives to be anything but generous and kind if you give them any kind of cigar (at least they shouldn't).  Since they are noobs, there's no way you can know what they'd prefer.  If they give you feedback and they don't like a given cigar, use it as a teachable moment and ask them if they can put into words what it was they didn't like about it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

WTF is that supposed to mean?

If they are offended, they can kiss my a$$.
    Who gives a crap if they are offended. It's free!
    If they don't like it, they can bring their own.

If I offer a cigar to someone, more than likely it WILL be a cameroon.
    If they are offended, then they really aren't worth worrying about.

And honestly, if I'm out and about and someone asks about a cigar, I probably will grab a bundle cigar to let them try. Cause most likely, they won't finish it and I sure as hell don't want to give them a good cigar to toss. 
    Oliva G or RP cameroon Especials comes to mind.

If your buddies are cigar smokers, then any cigar you consider decent would be fine.
    Besides, if they are moochers, do you really care what they think?

And to add, this is just like gifting or bombing someone.
    It is a gift, it is free. If it is offered genuinely, then it should be accepted as such and if someone is offended, they shouldn't be offered anything ever again.

Edit:
    If they try the cigar and don't like it, like @peter4jc stated, then that isn't being offended, it's they find that it isn't their preference. That is different than being offended.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    dirtdude said:
    VegasFrank 

Would you be offended Tony @0patience
    I'm more offended that this is even a question.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    Smoked a BLK WKS Rorschach with a friend a couple weeks ago and he had no clue how to smoke a cigar...was puffing on it like a freight train running her hotter than hell. He literally was smoking it 2x faster than me, had no idea how to ash it either. He'll be in training from now too as inhaling the smoke is not the best idea lol. 

So from now on I'll give a short quiz and if they pass they might receive a finer stick. "I've smoked cigars" doesn't qualify. 
    @TX98Z28 will you teach me how to ash a cigar please
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trish said:
    TX98Z28 said:

@Trish needs to get her ash trained

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Trish said:
    TX98Z28 said:

HAHAHA 
    Trish said:
    Trish said:
    TX98Z28 said:

HAHAHA 
    I mean... I wouldn't want someone to say that I didn't do it right... I happen to like my ash best when it's on the ground 😂
    edited March 2019
    TX98Z28 said:
     He literally was smoking it 2x faster than me, had no idea how to ash it either. 
    @Trish
    Don't feel bad, I have no idea if my ash is correct either. LOL!
    I guess I need someone to 'splain this to me, as I have no idea what it means.  ;)
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    TX98Z28 said:
     He literally was smoking it 2x faster than me, had no idea how to ash it either. 
    @Trish
    I guess I need someone to 'splain this to me, as I have no idea what it means.  ;)
    Blowing it off into the air like a joint/blunt isn’t how to ash a cigar...come on now everyone.
    edited March 2019
    TX98Z28 said:
    0patience said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    @Trish
    Blowing it off into the air like a joint/blunt isn’t how to ash a cigar...come on now everyone.
    You know me, if I get an opening, I'm taking it.
    And someone has to give you a bad time, it might as well be me.

As for ashing, I nudge it off and some people look at me funny, so my ash clearly isn't correct. It can get a little out of shape once in a while. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited March 2019
    TX98Z28 said:
    0patience said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    @Trish
    TX please explain how one goes about blowing thier ash off into the air like a joint/blunt?
    Darlin you tellin me you've been smoking weed wrong this whole time...?!  No wonder you don't ever laugh,  the ash end stays out of your mouth. You're welcome .
    Trish said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    0patience said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    @Trish
    TX please explain how one goes about blowing thier ash off into the air like a joint/blunt?
    Darlin you tellin me you've been smoking weed wrong this whole time...?!  No wonder you don't ever laugh,  the ash end stays out of your mouth. You're welcome .
    Clearly you have had a few to many...Have a nice night.
    TX98Z28 said:
    Trish said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    0patience said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    @Trish
    Clearly you have had a few to many...Have a nice night.
    You failed the IQ test...haven't had a drink yet.
     Darlin all the $$ spent on cars you should invest in a sense of HUMOR!