Home Cigar 101

Humidification recommendations

VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had a buddy from work (thanks Steve, if you are out there) give me this sweet humidor today with an electric humidifier.  The old BNC, who is a pain, is complaining that it's too loud, although she's letting me keep it in the dining room as a compromise for getting rid of the baby casket (now that I filled it with 200 smokes LOL).  So I'm looking to upgrade the humidifier. Recommendations? Here it is...

Don't look ↑

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the current unit btw.  I have to do a little rewiring of the power outlets on the humi (no biggie) also...

Don't look ↑
    edited March 2019
    I have two outlets at the bottom, so I think that it might be smart to put two small electric humidifiers in 1 above and 1 below the drawers, and then put boveda packs in the drawers.
    Don't look ↑
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    What's wrong with the Moist-n-Aire?
    Probably be able to add a better controller.
    But that is the brand most shops use.
    Hydra is ok, but if you get a "home" electronic humidifier, the first thing you will want to do is remove the green foam crap they use and put beads or crystals in it and clean them once every 4-6 months.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    It's too loud for the boss...I agree, it seems to work just fine. I keep telling her that one it's seasoned it won't be on all the time...
    Don't look ↑
    The hydra is fairly quite, but the alarm on it is annoying as hell and most often, I turn the alarm off. Cause it usually runs out of water at 2:00 in the morning and the alarm goes off.
    But I can also tell you that in Vegas, you will most likely need 2 hydras to keep up with that cabinet and they will be just as noisy as 1 Moist-N-Aire.

Another option is to get 5 lbs of beads. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Or maybe a 20 pound sack of boveda!
    Don't look ↑
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it make good use of air circulating fans? That to me is what I would be concerned about. That is a good system.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd try kitty litter. (100% silica cat litter, unscented) Works like heartfelt beads. Way cheaper. If you screw up the first batch you can toss it and start over. 
    VegasFrank said:
    Here's the current unit btw.  I have to do a little rewiring of the power outlets on the humi (no biggie) also...

I don't know much about it but, that machine looks like it could handle a humidor five times as big. 
    Her **** is epic for sure!
    Don't look ↑
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get her some earplugs
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VegasFrank great looking set-up  :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

Bob_Luken said:
    I'd try kitty litter. (100% silica cat litter, unscented) Works like heartfelt beads. Way cheaper. If you screw up the first batch you can toss it and start over. 
    That's not a bad idea.  I'm seasoning it with the humidifier now.  I boolmarked a couple of good threads on it in the forums and I read through all of them. I also did the calculations on the website and doubled it to figure out I'd need about eight pounds. I think I'll put a little on each shelf all the way through. Picked up a 17 lb bag. If it works, I'll offer up this unit on the forum to someone who needs it.  
    Don't look ↑
    I'm a fat guy I love nachos!
    Don't look ↑
    Double check the claim of "unscented" before you get too far along. Take a few spoonfuls out and spray it with water. I've had some litter in the past that did not label itself as either unscented or scented. It was scented. Smelled like that old glade spray can stuff everybody used to keep on the back of their toilets. 
    Thanks @Bob_Luken I'll definitely do that. I bought the exquisicat brand. It's seven pounds not 17 pounds. I'm going to try with this and if I need to go get more I'll go get more. Probably still have five or six days left on the seasoning anyways.
    Don't look ↑
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't need more than 7lbs.

What are you going to put the KL into?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:

Haven't decided. Obviously I could make the homemade nylon sacks or use some small Tupperware, but I think I want something that I'm not going to mind looking at. I was considering making some custom containers out of some sort of screen material with a wood frame. The other option I was thinking of was finding some rectangular plastic containers and drilling a bunch of holes in them. Any suggestions?
    Don't look ↑
    Is it just me or do all wives have super sonic hearing and sense of smell?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Is it just me or do all wives have super sonic hearing and sense of smell?

Not just you, that's why I was applying more weatherstripping to the door into the garage last night before I started roasting coffee.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    peter4jc said:

Haven't decided. Obviously I could make the homemade nylon sacks or use some small Tupperware, but I think I want something that I'm not going to mind looking at. I was considering making some custom containers out of some sort of screen material with a wood frame. The other option I was thinking of was finding some rectangular plastic containers and drilling a bunch of holes in them. Any suggestions?
    Peter has some nice muslin cloth bags with a print of Ganesh on them, drawstring on the top to close them. He'd probably throw a couple in with an order of coffee. Just saying. @peter4jc
    Wow @peter4jc that sounds super cool...examples?
    Don't look ↑
    I never thought of using those, Edward.  When the beads need moisture I spray some distilled water on them, and I wonder if the muslin bags would get moldy?

I use something like these nylon mesh bags in some of my storage boxes;
    https://www.amazon.com/FunLavie-Aquarium-Filter-Media-Zipper/dp/B014MFUJBS

A shallow tupperware thingy would work well too, just keep the top off of it and use caution when moving it.

edited March 2019
    After a gallon of water in five days, she never got above 75% in the middle and 67% on the bottom. The humidifier ran Non-Stop from Saturday to Friday and the humidity was holding constant at those rates for the last 4 or 5 days.

I figured a gallon of water was a good indication that it leaked. I put some small weather stripping around the door jamb and voila! She went right up to the high eighties.

The control unit on that saying by the way was reading at about 50% when the RH was in the low 80s. Now it's just a matter of fiddling with it so that I know where to set the dial for the humidity that I want. I'm probably going to start off trying to maintain 70% since it is winter and a little more humid than normal.

Now that this thing is pretty airtight, I most definitely think that I can get away with something smaller to manage humidity.
    Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear, Frank
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bigez1Bigez1 Posts: 6
    Frank, I have the same “hugemidor” as my wife named it!  I have used the Cigar Oaisis for years.  Because it is the larger model I have a timer on it to humidify 12 hours a day.  That also allows you to have no noise during your wife’s waking hours!

Every cigar comes out wonderfully ready to smoke.

Just a thought, Enjoy!

Great idea on the timer!
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes....I wish my wife had a timer.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?