Home Ratings & Reviews

My Father Flor de Las Antillas

My Father Flor de Las Antillas - Robust

The unlit draw on this cigar is about as amazing as it gets.  earthy, sweet
 tobacco and cocoa smack me in the face, I just sit there and smile :)  

Drink: 
Espresso + Coconut Milk + Honey and a glass water
Movie: 
Zombieland

Burn time: 
55 minutes

This is my first review in a very long time.  I bought a box of these 4 years ago, getting down to the last 5-6 sticks and decided to review one. My wife and I sat down to watch a movie and we decided to enjoy a stick.  In this instance, the movie was barely watched and the stick won our complete attention.

A few years back I went on the search for sun-grown cigars, as I had this Cusano that was really awesome which was documented here:
https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/608902/cusano-lxi-sungrown

I bought a 5 pack of My Father Flor de Las Antillas as a result and instantly knew it was going to be a box purchase.

After being lit for 3/4", we feel the cigar starts to even out and the earthy,
  sweet tobacco flavors start to develop and then a smooth nuttiness takes
 over.  Hints of nutmeg come through as we conclude the first 1/3rd.

As we enter the 2nd 1/3nd, a smooth almond nuttiness, low levels of sweetness
and buttery texture of the smoke develop.  As we progress through the 3rd a very
  rich, chewy, barnyard maybe?, flavor takes over our palettes. 

I've always had a hard time explaining this flavor, but it is what I associate
with most cigars that have "Sun grown" in the name and/or wrapper.  A couple of
  times during the period, we get a bit too anxious and took a puff too quickly. 

As we enter the last 3rd, we are burning a little warm and some harshish oak
flavors appear.  We set the cigar down for a bit to let it cool off before we continue
our journey. After the cooldown the cigar becomes really complex, all the flavors
 previous describe with more molasses notes, smooth, earthy, wonderful. 

We continued on with these flavors until we got to about 1 1/2" and we left it to rest.

Comments

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the toro. Got two left from my last box purchase. There goes the budget.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first got into cigars, someone must have bombed me one of those that I had forgotten about. One night, I dreamed I was smoking it, and really enjoying it. I woke up thinking I would need to order some, since I was sure I didn't have any. When I went for my nightly smoke, that was sitting on the top of the pile. 

I enjoyed it very much.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny I just tried my first Maduro one of those this morning......It was sooo good.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    When I first got into cigars, someone must have bombed me one of those that I had forgotten about. One night, I dreamed I was smoking it, and really enjoying it. I woke up thinking I would need to order some, since I was sure I didn't have any. When I went for my nightly smoke, that was sitting on the top of the pile. 

I enjoyed it very much.
    Natives would call that dreamwalking.
    You are very lucky.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • SmokeEmceeSmokeEmcee Posts: 9
    Great in Toro and Robusto. One of my favorite sticks.
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was gifted one of these in a trade.  I'm thinking Saturday afternoon.....
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, I picked up a 5 pack of those on my last purchase.  Robustos, not my usual choice, but that's what there were 5 of.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Amos_Umwhat The one I had was great! 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @timb has them up on the Daily Deal.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • TheBrooklynWayTheBrooklynWay Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    Great review! Loved it. Thank you.
  • JGruveyJGruvey Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried this a game my local cigar bar and couldn’t have been happier. What a great smoke! Bought myself a 5 pack afterwards! Great review!
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I have a sealed box of these, date-stamped May '14...  just in case anyone wants to make me an offer.

@genareddog because I know he's a fan.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You taught me well, I am all under control and need ALMOST nothing!

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@biodarwin great review and great cigar!

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@genareddog said:
    (Quote)
    You taught me well, I am all under control and need almost nothing!

good to leave the door open a crack.

• BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a Top 3 Favorite Stick of mine. Love it every single time. Great smoke and the cost isn't crazy either. Always presented well and I prefer the box pressed. Cheers!

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
    "...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
    Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner