Home General Discussion

Motorcycle Touring

Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some friends and I are starting to plan our annual bike trip. We will be heading out from central MN, and riding in SD, WY and MT over the course of ten days. Those of you that travel on motorcycle like this, what are you using for a travel humidor to carry and protect your cigars?
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations.
#f**kyourhashtags

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I roll all the time just as simple as this: 

You go to the dollar store. You score a batch of these Pirouette cookies. You eat them (not bad duty). You stick six or eight gars in each can. You roll some electrical tape around the seam just to make sure the cap doesn't slide off. You're good. Works perfect. If you want overkill you can drop a small boveda in there. I am more likely to use scrap leaf. But I can tell you that the leaf never dries in there, so it stays hermetically sealed. Don't really need to worry about humidibiddity. I have gone camping two and a half weeks, across country a month, up and down the parkway any number of times, etc.... no prob.

Be sure to take several extra cans of gars just for give-aways. I like to tote bomblets of assorted mild, each with a bic, a boveda, and a cheap cutter. Works great for the camper by the bonfire who says "That smells good.". You hand him a can and say "Here. Deal with it.".

Enjoy.

What are you riding?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

...oh, and the added advantage is, as you go you jettison cans, giving you room to stuff the T-shirts & coffee mugs that accumulate.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input @dirtdude and @webmost! I like the Herf-A-Dors (have a five count I use now), but I agree that the 15 count would likely be short for ten days. I like the can idea...will look into that a little more.

@webmost  I'm currently riding a 2006 H-D Road King. Looking to possibly move to something newer next season...not sure if it will be H-D or not yet. What do you ride?
    #f**kyourhashtags
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I just use a Herf-a-dor, either 5 or 10 count and plan to stop for refills as needed.
    Remember to consider how hot it will be wherever you pack it.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ride and brings cigars with me on every ride, in fact my road name with my group is “Stogie” lol. Herfador is a great option as was @webmost suggestion so long as the gars are in a siplock in the can with a boveda packet or two. The other option for hauling more would be like a handgun or pelican case at a sporting goods store. For large capacity and a good seal and hard case I have one myself that I can store about 75 cigars in too. Just throw in a few boveda packets and good to go. 

Im in Northern Colorado and not far from the Wyoming border. Depending on when you will be in Wyoming and where we might be able to meet up on the bikes for a cigar. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    edited March 2019
    rhinoceros in the driveway,  but a ballerina on the highway. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Willy_MN said:
    Thanks for the input @dirtdude and @webmost! I like the Herf-A-Dors (have a five count I use now), but I agree that the 15 count would likely be short for ten days. I like the can idea...will look into that a little more.

@webmost  I'm currently riding a 2006 H-D Road King. Looking to possibly move to something newer next season...not sure if it will be H-D or not yet. What do you ride?
    I've toured long distances on everything from a BMW R1200CLC to a Honda Trail 90. My three rides at the moment are a KLR 650, a Versys 650, and an Indian Scout. The Scout is surprisingly comfy on a long ride. Powerful yet low and light. The Versys I took across country last year. The KLR has been up & down the Blue Ridge dozens of times; South as far as GA, West as far as Illinois, North as far as Lake Erie. 

Any little canister which can keep wafer cookies dry as toast will keep your gars at the same humidibiddity you stuffed them in with. Specially since you only open a new can each day or two. I like simple cheap solutions. Most guys assume that elaborate and costly solutions are better because they are elaborate and costly. I'd rather spend the money stuffing more cans with which to bomb passersby. I have a little project which I have carried forward each year since I began smoking gars. I call it Johnny Sotweedseed. I ride the Appalachians planting the joy of the sotweed gar the same way Johnny Appleseed planted apple trees. Try it. Sow a can or three. It's great fun when you're touring meeting new friends round the bonfire, and such.

https://youtu.be/V_IrdS-zu48

Just make sure the garbombs you give away are mild enough for a newb.

Great ideas all...thank you! @90+_Irishman I would love to meet up for a ride, cigar and some conversation! Will let you know what the plans end up being when finalized.

Didnt think spring was going to arrive this year, but it’s looking up. Getting new rear skin swapped out on Saturday. Get her thrown back together, and maybe take a quick spin this weekend. Lots of sand down yet though!
    #f**kyourhashtags
    On the road again...damn thing puts a smile on my face!!! Got seven miles in going on a fuel run and back. Pretty damp here yet today for much of a ride.

#f**kyourhashtags
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya'll are a$$holes, you know that?
    Posting crap like that, when a person is so broke down, they can't ride anymore.
    That's just mean, I tell ya, mean.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience said:
    Ya'll are a$$holes, you know that?
    Posting crap like that, when a person is so broke down, they can't ride anymore.
    That's just mean, I tell ya, mean.

Pusssy. 

Just last weekend I ran into my old riding buddy Dave. In his yoot he was a flat track racer, broke so many bones even his wife can't count em. Pins and schidt every long bone in his body. Finally, he settled down when the price of tires put him out of racing, to a life as a prototype machinist at the U of D, humping steel around the shop. The U made him quit. Both knees replaced, Several shoulder surgeries. Back fused a half dozen times. Hobbles round looking at his shoes like the ghost of professor Irwin Corey. I met him at our local BMW motorcycle club's spring wrenching fest. He rode up from halfway down the state on his BMW R90 he won last year on a lottery. 

He's riding, you can ride.

Dust it off and go get some air in your armpits.

@webmost
    If he lived in an area where it's 50 degrees and raining all the time, it would affect him.....a lot.

Once I get out of this craphole place, I may see how my body takes it and may look into a different bike.
    For now, the years have take their toll on this body and it's a daily ritual just to work on heavy equipment. When I go to work, I usually smell like a pharmacy on a mint farm. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    He lives in Delaware, where it rains three times a week.  Used to commute on an RT100T 35 miles each way, until the U made him retire.

Funny you talk about rain... I call Dave RainMan, cause it always rains when he goes. He and his wife rode 34 days across country on their Wing. It rained, sleeted, snowed, or a combo of all three, 31 days out of the 34. The three days it didn't were when they were staying at their son's house in Washington. Wife and I rode with them to visit Falling Waters, the Frank Lloyd Wright house built over a stream in SW PA. Figured with a destination like Falling Waters it only made sense to talk RainMan into coming along. Boy, what a frog strangler that was! And on the way back... snow!

Rather live on the Oregon coast, tho, cause it's pretty as can be there.

Wife just had the battery replaced in the nerve stimulator implanted in her butt. You ever tried anything like that?

edited April 2019
    webmost said:

Wife just had the battery replaced in the nerve stimulator implanted in her butt. You ever tried anything like that?

My, that sounds exhilerating!  :o   Who doesn't want a butt stimulator?   :p

Zero?  What's the verdict?  Inquiring minds want to know!  :D

OK, show of hands.  Who thinks Zero should get his butt stimulated?

edited April 2019
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  I know Davis is talking about a TENS unit.  Some folks have good results with them.  

Meanwhile, after a total rebuild of the right shoulder, total replacement of the left knee, back injury that still hurts 40 years later, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, baldness, flatulence, and living in TN where the humidity rarely falls below 90% summer or winter, I do still get out and ride.  I don't think I can compete with @webmost or his superhuman friend, but not-riding will happen soon enough, when I'm not-breathing.

No, it's not a TENS. First letter in TENS is transcutaneous. That's thru the skin. This thing is implanted, with wires leading to various locations in the spinal cord. It's based on the same distraction as when Mom strokes her toddler's head when he stubs his toe. Spinal Cord Stimulator.

She says it works. Certainly missed it when the battery got old.

I stand corrected, I should have said "something like a TENS unit".  :)

I have enough metal rods, plates, pins and screws in me and they can tell the weather by themselves. The last thing I need to do is have wiring installed. 
    See me lit up like a christmas tree.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Gloria Struck, age 94 years, will lead the Grand Marshall's Parade at the Concours d' Elegance at The World Golf Village in St. Augustine FL May 10 - 11th this year.

years

old.

Still riding.  

My Hero!  

66*F here today...finally got to ride the bike in to work this AM. Hopefully ride to work again tomorrow. Then 12-18" of snow Wed-Fri. LOL
    #f**kyourhashtags