Home Non Cigar Related

New Vehicle Input

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Non Cigar Related
I've put it off too long, I need to get Chalupa a new vehicle. We have a list of wants/needs and looking for any I put from folks who might have an idea or opinion on things to look at 

Mid size SUV more than likely
3rd row seating if middle row is buckets that's a +
Navigation and hands free calling
Tow package is a + but not necessary
AWD is also a + but FWD would be fine
Decent mpg also a +

We are looking at new or used but if used under 40k miles and not older than probably 2016.

A few that we like the looks of but are going to try and test drive

GMC Acadia
Dodge Durango
Toyota Highlander
Nissan Pathfinder
Subaru Ascent
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Fords.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know your price range, but when we looked, the Mitsubishi outlander was very competitive prices vs features wise.  
    Don't look ↑
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to be at 25k or under but for the right vehicle I would stretch it
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The wife had a Durango, gas hog. 
    Went with a Terrian this time. No 3rd row and I wouldn’t want to tow anything with it
    deadman said:
    The wife had a Durango, gas hog. 
    Went with a Terrian this time. 
    We had a terrain for about 4 years. Held up pretty good considering I had three really rough kids who thought it was a tank. No third seat and definitely not midsize
    Don't look ↑
    edited April 2019
    I'd like to be at 25k or under but for the right vehicle I would stretch it
    We were looking for the same thing two summers ago. The outlander what's going to be the one, but at the last second my wife changed her mind and wanted a damn minivan. We ended up going with the minivan of course.
    Don't look ↑
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a 2015 Highlander Limited AWD with third row seating with middle buckets and the panoramic moon roof.
    It has navigation, rear camera and all the sensor crap so the boss lady doesn't hit stuff. LOL!
    We have not had any problems with it and I think we are at 85,000 mile now.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about a Hyundai Santa Fe. We are on our second Hyundai and never had 1 problem with them. The first was a 2012 Elantra
    with 130k plus miles and traded that in for a 2016 Sonata. Been to North Carolina on 3/4 tank of gas. Got between 40 - 45 mpg highway.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subaru Ascent take it for a drive! They are a little more then your $25k but Subaru is a great vehicle with great safety standards. We have two Foresters at the moment but plan on moving into the Ascent after we purchase a house.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Ascent is nice, but much more than your price range. So is the Acadia, which is more than the Chevy version of the same vehicle which is still more than the price range (Traverse). 

We've been looking for a while in that class of cars.  And it's down to those two along with the VW Atlas.  Traverse feels more like a truck, and would probably make me feel better towing.  Ascent is like the Enterprise with all the safety features, etc, which come standard but cost extra on other competitors.  We found the Atlas the most comfortable and was fun to drive.  It also has the best warranty around.  It's my wife's choice at the moment.  Those three are all in the same price range, but you're basically doubling your price.  And note, the Atlas' towing package has to be factory installed to rate 5k pounds. 
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subi's are virtually bulletproof rigs.  They must be; there are a gazillion of the things on the roads up here. Take a gander at a Nissan Murano if you can find one for a decent price.  I'd stay away from anything GM.  The quality has tanked in the last 10 years. 
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Fords.
    @Patrickbrick   Wise advice...no garbage!!!
    Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations.
    #f**kyourhashtags
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willy_MN said:
    No Fords.
    I signed a document saying I wouldn't discuss the problems I had with my "vehicle"

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 Subaru. My wife loves hers, Patricks is excellent

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willy_MN said:
    No Fords.
    I signed a document saying I wouldn't discuss the problems I had with my "vehicle"
    Your boss said you had a Toyota Prius.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two cents- buy American!
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    My two cents- buy American!
    So................Tesla?
    Cause if you're thinking vehicles made in US, Hyundai has more vehicles made in the US, than the domestics.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure Nissan is American made. Pretty sure.  
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mazda cx9 is what the wife drives. She loves it. Subaru may be my next vehicle. 
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Subaru Ascent is made in Indiana.  But it's in the same plant as their recent string of recalls on other vehicles.  
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Features for the price, you can't beat the Equinox. Not that you want to tow with it ... but I've met people who do. No third row tho.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kia Sorento.  We h ave the 5 seat model.  We travel with our large dog with the seats down.  It has under the floor storage which gives him plenty of room and we can keep luggage under the floor.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote is Subaru all the way.  

I have an ‘09 legacy (sedan) and aside from regular maintenance, have never had to do anything to it (knock on wood).  Aside from a heat shield rattle (known issue for salt states) it runs as good as
    the day i got it.

Kellie has a ‘12 forester and no issues there either.

I have a good friend that had like an ‘02 or ‘03 forester ... he finally “upgraded” to a new car last year, not because of any issues with the Subaru, he just wanted a larger vehicle.  (He “upgraded” to a Kia SUV....IMHO the kia
    sucks bawls)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Love my Subaru Outback, made in Ft. Wayne IN.  Did have the problem with the windshield, but they eventually made it right.  After I walked into the dealership Service Managers office during a meeting he was having and put him on the phone with Subaru in Australia. 

Dealership:  "He's having a meeting, Sir, you can't go in there."

Me:  "It's OK, I don't mind."
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We really like the Subaru's however they are just not big enough for what we are looking at needing.

I think we have found a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder that will fit the bill.  40k miles at $17,500.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    station wagon, suvs look like jogging shoes.