Home General Discussion

The Last Camel

VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
Goodbye old friend. I have thoroughly enjoyed your company. You were non-judgemental and always there for me. You were a great drinking companion, and you got me through some of my most stressful moments.

But it's time for you to go. Our relationship is unhealthy, to say the least. You are too controlling. You've been strangling me for two decades.  You call me at least 20 times a day. Whenever I'm busy doing something, you call. You call me first thing in the morning, and you're the last thing I see at night. My family hates you. My doctor really hates you.

I'm sure I'll want you a lot over the next few days, but as time passes, that will lessen. Call all you want. I'll no longer answer. I'll be with my new friends: AJ, Monty, Ramon, Drew, Romeo, and ol H. just to name a few.

It's been real. It's been fun. Peace.

Don't look ↑

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nasty things. Glad to see you are keeping better company now; do your best to not inhale. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay strong Frank
    A little dirt never hurt
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you are making this positive change! Sounds like you will have much better friends to hang out with.  Not to mention the great company on here 😆
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck. I have cut back and need to follow your lead

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 10 days in when you feel like you woke up with your skin on crooked, I found that raising and then settling my blood pressure kind of reset the bar. Like Wayne said, the chemicals are gone but the remaining mental attachment is what got me. Two years off of wet snuff and I still smell it some days driving down the road when I know there isn't a can for 2 miles.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My father smoked Camels, courtesy of the US government in those field ration kits.
    I smoked them for 30 years at least, courtesy of my fathers packs being left around.
    Then, for some reason, I started on Backwoods. Too much of a problem carrying enough packs. Went to Swisher Sweets, again reason unknown.
    Had a custom pool stick made. The owner (Tony) of the shop (Black Boar) offered me a R&J, a real Cuban Churchill. He went to Switzerland twice a year to purchase them. 
    That is all it took, and I have never looked back, except for the Backwoods. Of course I have never found a cigar as good as the one he gave me. But I keep looking.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks gents!  Great advice & stories.  First day was a little long, but doing good so far!
    Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigarette-free for over 20 years, disgusting habit. I remember when a friend and I were smoking Camels way back when we were barely 18 and I told him the best cigarette ever would be a Camel menthol. Sure enough, it was like the universe is really my very own playground, and they simply came into being one day...but they sucked. This further instills my belief in God being a woman.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Good call Frank! A bit of dark chocolate helps for the first week when the cravings get strong.

After about 7 days the chemicals will be out of your body. After that point any craving you have is just mental. Try to develop new habits in the times you used to smoke cigarettes as quickly as you can (IE: pop a piece of gun in any time you drive, grab a toothpick after every meal). Otherwise you will find yourself craving during certain times or for quite a bit longer.

Bullshit, I had the shakes and headaches for almost two months after I quit smoking cigarettes.  Had a cigar and did not feel like crap anymore, been smoking cigars ever since.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What made it easy for me was finally being scared enough. 

I had tried unsuccessfully many times previously to quit cigarettes but facing bypass surgery in 1994 was the turning point. After smoking for around forty years I quit cold turkey immediately after surgery. 

I then went for about fourteen years smoking nothing until taking up premium cigars around 2008. 

That surgery scared the pee out of me......  😎
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now you won’t stink but just walk around with that wonderful aroma on you!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Smoked cigarettes to 40 years. Started smoking cigars about 4 years ago. My wife hates cigars more than cigarettes.

Anyway, you made a good decision. Cigars are way more interesting and as long as you limit yourself to one of two a day, it's a lot cheaper. God luck.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoked cigarettes to 40 years. Started smoking cigars about 4 years ago. My wife hates cigars more than cigarettes.

Anyway, you made a good decision. Cigars are way more interesting and as long as you limit yourself to one of two a day, it's a lot cheaper. God luck.
    Yeah, our wives should form a club...
    Don't look ↑
  • SteveJSteveJ Posts: 5
    I can completely agree with the OP.  I just quit smoking cigarettes two weeks ago.  It was due to all of the reasons he listed, however, I was dealing with some congestion that made me think of breathing issues and ventilators when I get older (if not sooner).  Not sure about anyone else, but that was enough motivation for me, as I need air more than just about anything else.  That actually has been enough for me when any temptation to smoke one pops up.

On the bright side, I had been wanting to start smoking cigars (only on the weekends).  I picked up a 10 pack tin of DE Acid Blue Connecticuts and so far I've really enjoyed them.  And as everyone has already pointed out, it's a heckuva lot cheaper.
  • SteveJSteveJ Posts: 5
    @VegasFrank don't give up trying.  I know each person's experience is different when trying to quit, but you can do it.  Take it one craving at a time.

Outside of that, keep enjoying those cigars