Home Cigar 101

Humidor with hygrometers and 50/50 help please

I have a 150 count Humidor has a built in Analog Hygrometer and I have added two Digital Hygrometers of different types. I wiped down the Humidor with distilled water left a cup of distilled water in it over night to let the wood soak up a little more humidity. Then I salt tested all three Hygrometers. The analog showed 85, digital 1 showed 61, and digital 2 showed 65. So I moved digital 1 into digital 2's bag and digital 2 to digital 1's bag. Still they showed 61 and 65 after another 8 hours. I soaked the two Rectangular Humidifiers in 50/50 Humidifying Solution that I was told would keep it at 75% but also was told the salt test should come out to 75% too. When the Hygrometers are inside my Humidor they also show around the same the salt test did. The seal on my Humidor is not the best in the world its a cheap $140 setup. I just picked up some nice cigars I want to age (Fuente Fuente Opus X Belicoso). Would this be safe to store my sticks inside?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If you got the sticks from Ccom, it's probably best to leave them in the bag they came in with that little humidity pillow

- The salt test takes somewhere between 24 and 48 hours to settle down - the humidity can fluctuate beyond 24 hours in some cases, so it's really best to let it sit for two days
    - Wiping your humidor down is recommended by some, but not by others; personally, I believe it can warp the wood if you do it incorrectly, so I prefer to just take my time, and simply put a dish of distilled water in the humidor and let it sit like that for a solid week, only opening it every 2 days or so to make sure the dish doesn't need more water.
    - After your hygrometers are calibrated and your humidor is seasoned, let them sit in there for 24 hours before deciding if the humidor is ready to accept your sticks or not - it takes time for your humidifier to do its thing, and it takes time for the humidity levels to even out in your humidor (which is why some people have 2 humidors - one for aging, and one for pulling sticks out of). Every time you open that humidor, it takes a few hours for the humidity to return to normal/how it was before you opened that lid. So after getting everything set up, leave it sit for a day or two. Since you just pulled that dish of distilled water out, it's likely that the humidity level is too high and the humidifier may well need to absorb some of the excess humidity; a day or two should do the trick
    - If you want a much easier way of controlling humidity, get some beads (from Heartfelt Industries) - they ca be calibrated to 60%, 65%, or 70% humidity and after buying them, all you'll ever need for the next 5 years is distilled water - no more guessing, and you really can't screw them up so long as you use only distilled water
    - So a summary - seasoning a humidor takes a week, calibrating hygrometers takes about 2 days and 2 nights; then seasoning a humidor takes a week, then you need to wait another day or two for the excess humidity to be burned off
  • Also get a boneva pack to calibrate your hygrometer
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    If you got the sticks from Ccom, it's probably best to leave them in the bag they came in with that little humidity pillow

- The salt test takes somewhere between 24 and 48 hours to settle down - the humidity can fluctuate beyond 24 hours in some cases, so it's really best to let it sit for two days
    - Wiping your humidor down is recommended by some, but not by others; personally, I believe it can warp the wood if you do it incorrectly, so I prefer to just take my time, and simply put a dish of distilled water in the humidor and let it sit like that for a solid week, only opening it every 2 days or so to make sure the dish doesn't need more water.
    - After your hygrometers are calibrated and your humidor is seasoned, let them sit in there for 24 hours before deciding if the humidor is ready to accept your sticks or not - it takes time for your humidifier to do its thing, and it takes time for the humidity levels to even out in your humidor (which is why some people have 2 humidors - one for aging, and one for pulling sticks out of). Every time you open that humidor, it takes a few hours for the humidity to return to normal/how it was before you opened that lid. So after getting everything set up, leave it sit for a day or two. Since you just pulled that dish of distilled water out, it's likely that the humidity level is too high and the humidifier may well need to absorb some of the excess humidity; a day or two should do the trick
    - If you want a much easier way of controlling humidity, get some beads (from Heartfelt Industries) - they ca be calibrated to 60%, 65%, or 70% humidity and after buying them, all you'll ever need for the next 5 years is distilled water - no more guessing, and you really can't screw them up so long as you use only distilled water
    - So a summary - seasoning a humidor takes a week, calibrating hygrometers takes about 2 days and 2 nights; then seasoning a humidor takes a week, then you need to wait another day or two for the excess humidity to be burned off
    Damn, coming back full steam!! Welcome back xmacro!! it's been a while, I've been trying to help out a couple BsOTL here with their pipe fascination, just like when you helped me last year. It's good to see you back in action!!

And welcome lowstream, you're in good hands now!!
  • Excellent response xmacro - I definitely agree with you. Best to take your time in the beginning and ensure that your sticks are safe - plus you can then rest easy knowing your humi is doing what its supposed to.

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Volfan247:
    Also get a boneva pack to calibrate your hygrometer

This is the best way to calibrate.. I hate the salt test , never had much luck with it
    nightmaremike31:
    Damn, coming back full steam!! Welcome back xmacro!! it's been a while, I've been trying to help out a couple BsOTL here with their pipe fascination, just like when you helped me last year. It's good to see you back in action!!

Good to be back :) How's the pipe coming? If I remember, you were having trouble keeping the pipe lit. Find any new tobacco's?
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    nightmaremike31:

Good to be back :) How's the pipe coming? If I remember, you were having trouble keeping the pipe lit. Find any new tobacco's?
    That's right!! the pipes been cold since this winter, and as a matter of fact I did find some new tobacco. The shop I went to called it St. James. I don't know much about it and have yet to try it, but it smells delicious. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I finally get to it. How's things been with you?
    Meh, cigars have been cold as I've switched back to my pipe for awhile; just been starting to smoke cigars again, so I figured I'd drop by the forum and check out the new cigars and what everyone's doing

You can always check out Cup O' Joes - they have some good prices on tins if you find anything you like; Captain Black white and Borkum Riff (regular and cherry) are my typical favorites
  • xmacro:

I got my sticks from a local shop. I thank you for this well written reply! I also see you like pipes you should check out peterson of dublin. I have found some of their tobacco to be very nice. My fav from them is the irish whiskey