Home General Discussion

A question just occurred to me....

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
I don’t recall ever seeing a thread on this subject so I’ll ask.....

Folks always say you should let recently received cigars rest for a while before smoking them. I’ve read where some folks have smoked a stick ROTT and they describe their experiences with them. 

But it it occurs to me that if I’ve ordered some sticks and received them recently those sticks have obviously been resting in a warehouse somewhere so what’s the big deal about not smoking them ROTT?  I’ve tried it both ways and haven’t found a noticeable difference so what am I missing here?

Can someone s’plain it to this dumbkopf, please?  Thanks....  🤐

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yes, they're fine at the warehouse but what happens in between is the the concern. I'd say it's mostly high temperature swings in transit that cause off flavors. Mostly summertime transit. And I'm not for sure if it's a major concern, just something I've always heard. How bad is it? I'd have to test it to be sure. I've always wanted to do that. I need to get two identical sticks from my local B&M this summer and package one up for transit and leave it in my vehicle for a few days (maybe my mailbox too) then see if it tasted worse than the other one.    
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually try one rott, because I just have to.  Sometimes they're OK right then, and then a couple days later...aren't.  There seems to usually be an improvement, although often slight, after a month in the humidor.  Sometimes it's quite an improvement.  However, with that said, what state of being was I in each time?  What had I eaten, drank, done on either particular day?  Perhaps it's subjective. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small Batch has a blurb on their shipping page concerning a study they did about this exact thing.   Claim is the humidity is okay with a Boveda pack in the packaging, but the temps are what swing drastically.  I thought I'd read more about it somewhere....if I can find the info I'll link it up.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good article, Paul, thanks for sharing.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I had the same question running through my somewhat addled gray matter, just didn't think of posting anything.  I mean, ya'll have the wisdom of Oracle at Delphi when it comes to this stuff.....
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that article should answer the resident oldfarts question.
    A little dirt never hurt