Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

CAO Flathead Gearbox

CAO Flathead Gearbox
------------------------------

This is a pretty solid stick, a bit stiff. Double cap, dark chocolate wrapper. On the body I'm getting strong tobacco notes, it gets in your nose. I'm also getting a hint of velvet. Off the foot I'm getting a spice that hits the back of my nose; I'm also getting that smell of velvet.

Medium draw, with a taste of tobacco on the cold draw.

1st 3rd:
----------
This stick is full body in strength with a long finish on retro hale. This cigar is strong on retro hale, hits the back of your throat immediately, and hangs around. Just a bit in the 1st 3rd, and I'm feeling the strength.

Flavor wise, I'm getting heavy earth tones; very earthy. This cigar is bitter, long after taste. I'm not getting too much else, just a bitter earth note, a hint of a truffle flavor came in quickly, and left. On retro hale, same earth notes, and a hint of velvet.

Smoke is heavy off the foot, but light on the draw; feels very thin on the palate. Dry in the mouth. As far as the smell of the smoke; all I'm getting is an ammonia.

The draw on this cigar hasn't changed from the cold draw, still medium. The burn is uneven, and didn't change much from that throughout the 1st 3rd; touch up was required. The ash is holding up for about an inch and a half so far.

-------------------------------------
2nd 3rd:
--------
Going into the 2nd 3rd the strength is still full, though the retro hale mellows out a bit. Flavors are still the same, very earthy. Earth and that hint of velvet on the retro hale.

Smoke is still heavy coming off the foot, and has picked up on the draw as well to a thicker plume, but still remains dry on the palate.

Smell of the smoke is still pretty much the same, ammonia, and that hint of velvet; it smells better than it actually taste.

Same Medium draw. The burn is uneven again, and requires another touch up. The ash is very flaky in appearance, however not snowing down. The ash held up two inches before it fell ending the 2nd 3rd.

-------------------------------------
Last 3rd:
---------
Last 3rd, the strength has mellowed on the retro hale, and seems to even be in that medium to full range. I am feeling the buzz, so some may need to eat prior to having this cigar.

Flavor profile hasn't changed, earth, that hint of velvet, hint of ammonia now there; still have that long bitterness hanging around. On the retro hale flavors are again the same.

The smoke output is a bit more consistent with heavy smoke coming both from the draw and off the foot. The smell of the smoke is chemical like, ammonia is the best way I can describe it. It's not too pleasant, but not displeasing enough to out right say it stinks...some people like the smell of gasoline.

Draw hasn't changed from medium; medium burn, not too fast. The burn on this cigar has been uneven for the most part, ash flaky to the eye, but not having that snow effect as it burns.

Overall:
----------
The gearbox has a long bitter finish that stays in your mouth until the very end; I didn't care for that much. The strength pretty much stays the same, top of medium at its least, to a full body. Flavors weren't anything complex, with earth tones being what I got for the most part throughout. At no times did I experience any heat, nor did it ever get squishy. No real construction issues.

This cigar looks a great deal better than it taste. Having that metal gear as a second band gives it that manly blue collar tough appeal, however, when you factor in the bitter taste that coats your mouth, and little flavors, it boils down to this being a gimmick thing. It's surely an eye catcher, but don't be fooled by the appearance.

This isn't a cigar I would recommend; something to add to your bucket list? heh, maybe, just to say you tried it, but nothing to make a priority to get to.

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what you mean by "velvet" as a taste description.  As in Velvet, the pipe / home-rolled cigarette tobacco?  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As in the cloth that george Costanza wants to wear all the time?
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Few things that I'd like to see.

The size (5.5" x 60).

The age, how long have you had it. Maybe review another after 6 months. The ammonia taste might go away with age.

The storage conditions temp and Rh%. 

I'd be curious how this one would compare to other vitolas 

Great pictures, thanks for the review.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    TheBrooklynWayTheBrooklynWay Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering what you mean by "velvet" as a taste description.  As in Velvet, the pipe / home-rolled cigarette tobacco?  
    Thank you for catching that Amos, I apologize for the description error. That was  supposed to be violet. Thank you.
  • Options
    Few things that I'd like to see.

The size (5.5" x 60).

The age, how long have you had it. Maybe review another after 6 months. The ammonia taste might go away with age.

The storage conditions temp and Rh%. 

I'd be curious how this one would compare to other vitolas 

Great pictures, thanks for the review.

I don't tend to put all of those details because everyone does their thing differently and for the most part I assume (hope) people know the proper conditions for their cigars. I like to keep my cigars between 68-73. As far as the ammonia, I'm aware some cigars need to rest, and the fermentation issues etc, but I had these resting for around 5 to 6 months now, so I'm not sure it may be that. I still have a box and a half, and plan to give most away...maybe here in trades with you guys.

Thank you for reading the review and your comment.
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review I have wanted to know about these.  I have been curious about them. They do look cool, lol.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    Thanks for the review I have wanted to know about these.  I have been curious about them. They do look cool, lol.
    You are welcome! Thank you. Yeah, they caught me with the look, and me assuming (making as "ass" of myself) that they were as good as the others in the Flathead line...boy was I wrong and surprised.