Home Non Cigar Related

Anyone use Victoza?

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm Type II diabetic and I have been on three oral medication for quite awhile.  My last A1C was 5.1 and my blood sugar is usually 105 - 120 fasting.  My Doctor dropped one of the oral meds and started me on Victoza, she convinced me I was not going to get any taller and I needed to lose some more weight.

I've been on it for about a week  the lowest my blood sugar has been 121 and it has been as high as 214.  It been  hovering about 150, but that is high for me.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Hang tough, bro.  I don't have any advice.  My wife is T1D.  They've tried her on some different meds off-type to try to help with different things and it always seems to mess stuff up.

But your A1c is great!  My wife had her worst in years.  Usually hovers just above 6, but she hit 7.   New doc, new lab?  It's weird because she's under better control.  She did have to mess a long time to get used to her new CGM, and every calibration day it doesn't seem worth it to her, but the rest of the time, it's a godsend.

If I've learned anything, diabetes is a complex and uniquely frustrating condition.  There's gotta be Victoza discussion boards out there to share your experience on.  Some of those medical boards get to be pity parties or self-confirming prophetic disasters filled by those with the worst of the worst side-effects (or do they? are they sure about causation?) and want the drug banned or a million dollars.  But if you avoid those types, you might get some support.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    My A1C is 8.3........type 2.

Never tried victoza just jardiance glip and metaformin.
    You arent doing that bad.   But I would tell my doctor to switch the meds back to the way they used to be.  Maybe this new one just isn't for you.   I think some of these new diabetes meds were rushed through the FDA process, Invokana apparently causes gangrene of the junk.
    https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20180830/fda-warns-of-genital-infection-from-diabetes-meds
     I just don't trust the new medications.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got diagnosed with type 2, my fasting level was 150 , and my A1C 7.9. Get th is through, I have medicare and a supplemental, and my supplemental won't cover any cost of the glucose meter kit and medicare will pay 80%. What's the purpose of insurance?
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!