Home Cigar 101
Options

Boveda Pack Issues with Coolidor

tlnaylor34tlnaylor34 Posts: 10 ✭✭
Hello,

I have a Newair CC-100H 250 ct cigar heater/cooler that has been seasoned to 81% at 63 deg F. The problem is when I place my two (2) 320g Boveda 69% packs to equlibrate it, instead of dropping lower its actually 3-4 point higher ( 71-73%). Boveda states this is because of the external fan bring air in to the unit. However, I am not sure of this. My thought was to get a third 69% pack for faster restabilization. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know next to nothing about Newair and wineadors, but the thing about the fan bringing air into the unit sounds very fishy.  They're supposed to be sealed when the door is shut, with no air able to pass in or out, right?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading through the manual for this unit off Newair's website, I'm guessing your fan is for heat exchange on the temperature unit's evaporator or condensor.  Should work like a fridge albeit with a higher temp window.  There's no external air intake. If your temps aren't fluxing and are staying where you set them, as long as the thing's not running excessively I'd say the seal is ok.  Remember Rh is a function of temperature.  81% at 63 isn't 81% at 68.   How long since you seasoned it?  There may be a bit of residual moisture coming off the wood bits if it's been a short time.  Is there any water in the moisture container? 
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing your hygrometer is off.  Also there are a ton of variables as to how this could be.  If its full for example vs empty, also how long has it been sitting.  If you just put a bunch of smokes in there you got in the mail the cigars themselves could have the added moisture.  It will take time to stabilize out as the bovedas do their thing.  Relax for a couple of weeks.  To me I also would not sweat that little of difference, it will not be noticeable while smoking.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you just need to open that thing for a little while. Boveda work by adding or removing humidity. However, they do have limitations. For instance, if you leave a boveda sitting out in my living room, my house will not have 70% humidity. The boveda will dry up and you will have to rehydrate it.

Likewise, if you put a fully charged boveda into a small environment that has a way higher RH, the boveda can only suck up so much moisture. for instance, if you were to place one in an airtight environment that was half water, the boveda would not suck up all that water and created 70% environment 

Maybe you just need to open the door for a little while. I would try the simplest solution first... 
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you fill it with cigars at the same time?
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    hi everyone. i calibrated my hygrometer with my boveda cal  pak. I dont buy the heat fan exchager comment from newair. i just seasoned it to 82% with distilled water only and when switched to boveda it went to 72. as of 5 min ago its at 68 deg and 69% hum so maybe with my sticks in there it acclimated quickly. ill monitor it. but the heater and chiller is good and seal is excellent.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As stated time is usually all it takes.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    I think i am squared now. Just opened it up for a minute to put some sticks in and it dropped to 61 and within 7 min back up to 69%