Home Cigar 101

storing cigars in a plastic tub

Trx680Trx680 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
I read where some people use a plastic tub with a gasket/seal (airtight) lid to store their cigars instead of a wooden humidor. They use the boveda inside the tub.

I'm trying to get an idea of how to set one of these up:

How are the cigars arranged in the tub? Can they still be kept in the wooden box? Or should they be taken out? 
Just take the boveda out of the plastic bag and lay it in the bottom of the tub?

I understand its one boveda per 25 cigars?? 
Whats is YOUR preferred percentage ? The boveda website say 69% for an airtight container. 

And what would be the ideal hygrometer for this setup?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Search tupperware or tupperdor  or coolerdor on this forum search.

As for percentage, a sealed container, 69% is considerably high.
    My preference is 65%.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 65 or lower especially if your container is going to experience warmer temps, lower % keeps cigars ready to smoke and less likely to get moldy.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65? I may have to rethink my settings.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Trx680
    Do not even think analog.
    Get a digital.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just throw every boveda I get into the cooler. Every 6 months or so I will go through and pluck any that are getting crusty to recharge. It's completely mindless.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Here he comes again, the questionator, the inquizator, the asker-man. You need to give us some information about you, instead of expecting us to address EVERY basic concern you have. I got questions for you. One big question to start off, HOW WAS CUBA? Pics or it didn't happen. On the other hand, You're probably a troll. A perfectly annoying persona made-up by some old forum member who's too cool to hang with us anymore, but he's lonely and bored and wants to laugh at us when his creation pisses us off with such annoyances. Well, you got it. I've had my coffee and you have my attention.   

How are the cigars arranged in the tub?
    Can they still be kept in the wooden box? 
    Or should they be taken out?
    Doesn't matter much, put them in a plastic tray, a spanish cedar tray, keep them a cigar box, just as long as the cigars don't get damaged. Have you not seen any of the photos we post? The way we arrange cigars is very apparent for you to observe. (I actually do have a specific tip for you. When walking, do not attempt to chew gum.)  

Just take the boveda out of the plastic bag and lay it in the bottom of the tub?
    Yep, that's all ya do. 

I understand its one boveda per 25 cigars? I think that's what boveda recommends.  Whats is YOUR preferred percentage? The boveda website say 69% for an airtight container.
    OH!? So you CAN find information on your own. 

Any digital is fine. I assume, when you buy one, you'll start another thread asking all the minute details you'll need from us before you deploy your hygrometer. See ya there :)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    :D:D:D 

Even the sticky thread didn't help.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Trx680Trx680 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Here he comes again, the questionator, the inquizator, the asker-man. You need to give us some information about you, instead of expecting us to address EVERY basic concern you have. I got questions for you. One big question to start off, HOW WAS CUBA? Pics or it didn't happen. On the other hand, You're probably a troll. A perfectly annoying persona made-up by some old forum member who's too cool to hang with us anymore, but he's lonely and bored and wants to laugh at us when his creation pisses us off with such annoyances. Well, you got it. I've had my coffee and you have my attention.   

How are the cigars arranged in the tub?
    Can they still be kept in the wooden box? 
    Or should they be taken out?
    Doesn't matter much, put them in a plastic tray, a spanish cedar tray, keep them a cigar box, just as long as the cigars don't get damaged. Have you not seen any of the photos we post? The way we arrange cigars is very apparent for you to observe. (I actually do have a specific tip for you. When walking, do not attempt to chew gum.)  

Yep, that's all ya do. 

I understand its one boveda per 25 cigars? I think that's what boveda recommends.  Whats is YOUR preferred percentage? The boveda website say 69% for an airtight container.
    OH!? So you CAN find information on your own. 

Any digital is fine. I assume, when you buy one, you'll start another thread asking all the minute details you'll need from us before you deploy your hygrometer. See ya there :)

Bob, 
    In all honesty Cuba was a dump. But I'm sure back pre-castro it was a very nice place. The architectural design of many of the buildings were a must-see. But sadly just about every building and home that I saw where dilapidated or at least in need of repair. Even the streets and sidewalks where either filled with potholes or dog crap. Had to watch where you stepped.
    The people were very friendly. It seemed to be a very safe place. The old 50s American cars were everywhere. And to my surprise there were many of them that look like they just rolled off the assembly line. They look like brand new. 
    We did hire a private tour guide to carry us around Cuba. We did get to see a lot. We did go to a cigar Factory and see the workers hand roll cigars. But unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures. We also caught a show at the Tropicana Club that night.

I appreciate you guys help. Unfortunately I work a lot and don't get on the computer that often. I'm a mechanical technician in a factory, not an office job where I sit in front of a computer and have access to the internet whenever I want. I tend to work many hours, up to 104/week. So computer time is very limited for me.

I will post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trx680 said:

I'm a mechanical technician in a factory,

Nice

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Let's see if these pics show up
    More

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Trx680. Muy interesante.
    This is the cigar factory

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trx680 said:
    Oh no, not that one.  

<wink>
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I apologize for my crabby demeanor. I want to be helpful, I really really do. But, sometimes I'm just crabby. I'm glad you took the time to share some pics. 

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought this four pack for my Tupperdores. Calibrated and marked them with the corrections. They stand up on edge so I can see them through the clear containers. Work great for $4 apiece... 

https://www.amazon.com/Veanic-Electronic-Temperature-Thermometer-Hygrometer/dp/B07GNMKYCZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=hygrometer+4+pack&qid=1553094721&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
    Don't look ↑
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trx680 said:

I'm a mechanical technician in a factory,

Nice
    Do you park your car in the visitors parking? Nice pics of the Cuba trip.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • TheBrooklynWayTheBrooklynWay Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    If you're going to go the tuppa route, these are the best I've seen so far, and I use them myself when my humidors are full. They work great with boveda packs.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Brilliance-Leak-Proof-Three-Containers-x/dp/B07D84R2HP

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics but were is your Cuban haul?
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Hi guys am new to this forum, this is my rubbermaid brilliance tuppedor and a boveda pack,,, with a old cigar box bottom that i cut to fit the bottom of my tuppedor it does the job, i have two hygrometers a real cheap one and a decent one!!! Easy cheap and effective! In my opinion! 
    That's a nice start, I know there are threads here but can somebody show them what storage in plastic looks like.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda like this and like that @dirtdude ?
    Or do you mean like this here?

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    Yea, I knew I had seen some, even went backand searched but came up with nothing.
    A little dirt never hurt