Home Ratings & Reviews

Ave Maria Argentum

TheBrooklynWayTheBrooklynWay Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
Ave Maria Argentum
--------------------------

This stick has a dark chocolate wrapper, rustic looking; toothy. Visible veins, yet solid and beautiful looking. Double cap. The smell of the body is a little spice. Off the foot musty, moss and wet leaves.

Medium draw before toasting. Dry draw flavors are different, a little chemical like, mixed with spice, and must. The combination is a little potent and boxes a bit with your throat.

1st 3rd:
---------
This cigar is full strength. I'm getting leather, with toasty notes, bitter long finish that lingers on the palate. Heavy lingering spice, with full strength on retro-hale. Retro hale flavors consist of a long spicy cheese finish, and a subtle floral note, but not soft in the least bit.

Smoke output is coming off the foot in the medium range, with a silky texture, and the heavy smoke on the draw lets you know this cigar is alive and well. The smoke aromas smell great, really bold aromas and flavors.

The draw itself is also on the side of medium, not too loose or offering any real resistance, a genuine medium draw. Solid round ash with an even burn until it got caught up in one of the veins, and required a small touch up. The ash held up for about an inch and a half before falling on its own.

2nd 3rd:
--------
Strength has mellowed a bit, but still a high medium-full. That toasty flavor is still there, the bitterness is still there, still long, dark flavors, the earth, and leather are in and out swirling around. The retro-hale is still bold; you get that toasty flavor, a bit of bread, but bold. That chemical taste is now gone, the spice has mellowed a bit.

Smoke output still the same, medium off the foot, heavy on the draw. The smell of the smoke is still great; it actually smells better than the dark flavors presented on your palate.

The draw is still a medium, even burn, no wonky behavior, no ash flakes. The only issue is when it hits the veins that I spoke about, but I'm thinking this is probably this particular cigar I have and the way this one was constructed.

Last 3rd:
---------
Strength is still in that medium-full range. That bitter taste manages to creep in on the back end and creates a longer finish that may be unpleasant to some. The leather notes are there, and more prominent in the last 3rd. On retro-hale, again, a heavy leather, like a new heavy leather jacket, however, the strength on the retro-hale had subsided a bit.

Smoke output has lightened up on the foot and even looks as if it may have gone out, but it hasn't. Aromas of the smoke itself are still pleasing, which is a plus for me.

The draw hasn't changed, and the ash and burn have been excellent and consistent.

Overall:
--------
No real issues with this stick; a couple of touch-ups due to hitting a vein or two, but other than that the burn was excellent. No band issues, came right off. My conclusion is this is a medium-full strength cigar with a flavor profile that leans more to the darker notes. Full of earthy, leathery notes, but sneaks in a few subtle changes with a hint of a floral note and a spicy cheese.

Though not a spice bomb, the spicy black pepper flavors are present. There is a bitterness that stayed throughout the entire smoke, wasn't bad, wasn't great...for me, I can take it or leave it, but if you don't like a little bitter/sour taste on the back end, this may not be for you.

No big flavor transitions, a couple of interesting flavors in the 1st 3rd, but nothing to make me say this was complex in my opinion as the flavors stayed within the toasty, earthy, leathery notes for the most part.

Retro hale is on the strong side for those whom nasal passage can't take too much kick, and you will feel a buzz from the strength. The smoke output was good, silky, and the aromas were great.

The draw was on the medium side throughout, and I didn't feel the cigar needed any special attention. So, if you like a darker flavor with a kick, this is the cigar for you.

~The Brooklyn Way~

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done, sir.  Question, since I don't particularly read a lot of reviews. What do you mean when you say that the Ash held up for an inch and a half before falling on its own? Thanks!
    Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always have some in a humidor somewhere, and I prefer the Morning Star (perfecto) vitola.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • TheBrooklynWayTheBrooklynWay Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    Well done, sir.  Question, since I don't particularly read a lot of reviews. What do you mean when you say that the Ash held up for an inch and a half before falling on its own? Thanks!

Thank you much. It's just a simple thing I tend to put in my reviews for those interested in ash, or it's construction. I don't do the long ash thing (anymore), as that was always a fun lounge or picture taking thing, however, I just like to point out how long it stood up with regular smoking before it fell.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I see, that's what I thought, but it sure looks like the Ash in your pic is way bigger than an inch and a half.  

Maybe that's just what my wife told me though....
    Don't look ↑
    Ok I see, that's what I thought, but it sure looks like the Ash in your pic is way bigger than an inch and a half.  

Maybe that's just what my wife told me though....

That is hilarious. Yeah, the photos can appear that way, that's why I just state it in the review.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate when an ash falls on me and burns my shirt of pants.  I like to wear fleece in the cooler months and that stuff will singe before you know it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Bob_Luken said:
    I'd be interested in where it falls. Mine usually falls on me. If it doesn't fall on me I have to find out where it went. Don't want my chair putting off smoke too.  

I'm pretty careful with watching where it falls (when it isn't falling on me), but I usually watch it to see what it looks like, and I'll have my tray ready. If it falls on me or on the floor, I stomp it to make sure it isn't going to do anything. However, it is a pain in the arse! That is one of the reasons I stopped the whole long ash thing. I see people doing it for photos and it's funny picturing what they are doing while smoking to keep the ash on.  :D
    peter4jc said:
    I hate when an ash falls on me and burns my shirt of pants.  I like to wear fleece in the cooler months and that stuff will singe before you know it.

Oh man, this happened to me once. I was wearing a pair of under armour gym shorts on, and an ash fell on them and burned a hole in them. It happened so quick...smh.  :D
    Yakster said:
    I'm careful not to ash on the herf dog. 🐕 I've been lucky so far. 🤞

Do you smoke with your dog around? How does he do with the smoke? I have two English Bulldogs and a Pug. The Pug is old (14 years), but my bulls are 1. They want to come hang in the cave with me, but I wasn't sure how they would handle the smoke.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do smoke with my dog around, but I smoke outside so the smoke is not building up. This dog follows me around so it would be pretty hard not to smoke with him around.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I do smoke with my dog around, but I smoke outside so the smoke is not building up. This dog follows me around so it would be pretty hard not to smoke with him around.
    ...WooF...
  • KenpoKnightKenpoKnight Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Same here, mine won’t be anywhere without me if I’m home.  At first he would jump at the smoke in the air.  Kind of funny.  Now he just walks or sits by and demands pets.  I keep the storm door screen down and both garage doors cracked to keep it pretty ventilated.