Home Cigar 101

Boveda whoops

VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had some dry ones, so I stuck them in a baggie of distilled water.....and forgot about them for 2 weeks.  Pulled them out today and:

So are they toast?  

Please. You don't have to call me a cheap arse because I already know it....yes, I could buy new ones, but what's the fun in that?
Don't look ↑

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and yes, it's definitely time for my wife to wash the dishes!
    Don't look ↑
    Lol they're a little bloated
    Don't look ↑
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've never seen that before.  I do try to extend my Bovedas, especially if I can't find what I want, but I usually wet a paper towel with distilled water, then put that in with the packets in a baggie.  I'd toss those.

Oh, and my bet is that your wife thinks it's your turn to do the dishes, that's why that looks that way.   ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave them out for a few days and check for leaks, they should be fine.  I've done this several times.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Thanks for the advice on the bovedas...and the dishes!
    Don't look ↑
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the desert they will be fine Frank. We rarely ask a Boveda to absorb moisture.
    A little dirt never hurt
    Lol I figured, but wanted to be sure they'd still bleed moisture...
    Don't look ↑
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put my dried out Bovedas in a tupoware type container with a small bowl of distilled water on one side and they recharge without getting wet.  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrap mine in wet paper towels, when the paper towel is dry they are ready to go
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put my dried out Bovedas in a tupoware type container with a small bowl of distilled water on one side and they recharge without getting wet.  

@TNBigfoot68 has described the "better safe than sorry" method. You are asking the Boveda to do the exact thing the Boveda was designed to do. And the Boveda say's "Aye Captain". Dunk 'em under water and you'll hear no complaints. They'll just do it faster. 
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add a new sponge to the bowl of water, with a small part of the sponge in the water, will speed up the process. 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    In a desert climate we only ask them to give moisture when needed, actually a one way system instead of two way. I throw them in a bowl of distilled for a couple days, let the surface dry and put them back to work.

Edit: I do let them dry out thoroughly before dunking them again, had what looked to be mold in some a while back, hold them up to the light, any question toss them.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did exactly what I do. Afterwards dry em off, make sure they don’t leak, and toss em in. I need bloated bovedas here. (You do to) they will still release humidity at the same rate. They’ll just last a bit longer.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    edited May 2019
    After I give mine a bath, I gently towel dry them and place 'em on a cooling rack with a small fan blowing on them because I don't want them to stay wet very long. I'm thinking that they are less likely to mold if I do this. So far I've never had mold grow on any of mine. Update International Pan Grate Wire
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the same without the fan
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When my Bovedas get too plump and won't lower the humidy in my humidors here in NC mountain summer high humidity environment I simply put them on a tray and slide them into my studio refrigerator . Two or three days and they are shrunk down and ready to pull in excess moisture from my humidors. 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could work, but I can give you pretty much the same answer you would probably get from Boveda and tell you you're risking it because they've been soaking for so long that some of the salts inside may have leeched out. But, it's your cigars at stake, not mine. At this time of year where I live I can have all my Boveda packs die and I will be just fine until the super hot weather hits. As it seems now, we may be in for flooding. Oh, the joy.
    Another idea is to use gel beads (the 70% RH variety) to plump up those Boveda inside a sealed container instead of just using water, this way no soaking is ever done.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    BKDog said:
    they've been soaking for so long that some of the salts inside may have leeched out. 

Salts leaving the bag during a bath? Well sheuht!  Has anybody ever considered that? I haven't?  Can't remember it being brought up here on our forum either. If it was I missed it. 

I suppose I could taste the bath water to be sure.
     eat jim carrey GIF