Home Cigar 101

Breathable Cigar Bags

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been wondering if storing the cigars that I get from others in tagged breathable produce bags would be better than leaving them in ziplock bags. They may become more subject to damage in these bags but the breathable aspect is what interests me, and the ability to label each bag instead of each cigar.

Is anyone doing this?  Am I crazy to consider it?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you leave the ziplocks open that's plenty of breathing for the cigars.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's how I do it Peter. A bag for each month for my own purchases and a bag for each trade or bomb labeled with the sender and date received
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just label who it’s from and put them with the others
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:
    I just label who it’s from and put them with the others

That was my plan. I need to consolidate my holdings and Tetris them in.

I suppose I could cut some slits in the bags for airflow.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hole punch might work well

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve also wondered about this with bags that are made out of cellophane. 
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

Hole punch might work well

I'm warning up to this idea. I'll give this a try 

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The frequent pattern of tiny holes allow heat and moisture to disseminate rapidly, thereby allowing your product to cool while maintaining crustiness."
    --Sounds lovely.
    Just kidding. Please let me know if anybody finds success using these bags.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    might check these out, made from corn instead of dinosaurs, high water-vapor transmission if that is what you are looking for:
    https://biobagworld.com/environment/water-vapour-transmission/
    I had some compostable dog waste bags in the closet for taking on dog walks.  After a while, they started to break down so I had to get rid of them. Not sure if these bio bags would do the same.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What problem are you trying to solve by looking for alternative bags?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    I've got too many Ziploc bags of cigars in my crate. I need to consolidate things and as I was thinking about this I was thinking I could also help my cigars breath a bit more if I went with mesh bags, but now I'm thinking a hole punch in my existing bags will be a cheap and effective solution.

Trays and more storage space would be another way to go.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I had some compostable dog waste bags in the closet for taking on dog walks.  After a while, they started to break down so I had to get rid of them. Not sure if these bio bags would do the same.
    You put your cigars in doggie waste bags? SMDH
    A little dirt never hurt
    Hole punch working good.

I don't have a hole punch but there was a pencil on the counter that went through that bag like butter. Good idea Yak
    A little dirt never hurt
    edited May 2019
    I think I consolidated three or four baggies from @Bigshizza into one holey gallon Ziploc bag. I also removed some almost empty boxes to make just enough room for the cigars I have now.

Did the same today Yak, overdue humi maintenance. Used to be really good with labels but ran across a couple bags of high end sticks with no idea where they came from. Got it sorted,  will do better from here out.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be spring cleaning urges, yesterday I went through the bomb bags, labeled, and consolidated. 
  • GrawlsGrawls Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yakster I just bought a bunch of these. A dollar a piece at Walmart. 
    Fit in the cooler nicely
    Yeah, I have something like that in my winedor, but wanted a way to ventilate the labeled bomb bags.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grawls said:
    @Yakster I just bought a bunch of these. A dollar a piece at Walmart. 
    I use these, but I modified mine.  I wanted to make them stack-able, (where the weight of the top basket won't be resting on the cigars in the basket underneath it,) so took I some bamboo shish kabob skewers and drilled small holes crosswise just under the rim so that the skewers would go across and through the plastic on both sides. The holes are slightly smaller diameter than the skewers so that they fit snug enough not to move. Then I clipped off the excess bamboo, and now the tray bottoms rest on the skewers.   
    That’s a good idea
    I've found that the hole punch works best when you fold over the bag so that you're punching through four layers instead of two. It results in a cleaner cut with less hanging chads.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya'll are an enterprising bunch.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...