Home Cigar 101

Cabinet humidor too humid

T95687T95687 Posts: 9
I have a cabinet humidor that has recently begun to stay at the upper limits on humidity. It has its own powered(and sensored) humidifier and has not been coming on at all yet the humidity is staying around 70%. I realize that isn’t really high but I prefer my cigars around 65%, especially when the temperature inside is getting to almost 78*. I worry about mold and Beatles with the combination of high temp and humidity. Any thought or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Your humidity is probably different from the top to the bottom to the back to the right. I have a cabinet myself and one of the drawers it's really humid and stays that way. I actually put some dry kitty litter in it to soak it up. Once the kitty litter stops working, I leave it out and swap it for some new dry kitty litter. Two bags back and forth do the trick. You might want to consider a fan and some more hygrometers to keep tabs throughout your box.
    Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It probably doesn't need to be said, but is your hygrometer calibrated? I'd start there, then work on humidity control with some two-way method as has already been suggested.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Rising temp actually = lower (relative) humidity.

If your room really is 50%, just leave the door open for a day.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Answers

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the humidity in your house? May need Boveda to lower it.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have trouble keeping Beatles out of my head, damned earworms.  :)
    Yakster's got the best solution, a bunch of 62% Bovedas.
    Humidifiers are one-way, raise the humidity. If your humidity out of the humidity is too high you need something to lower it. Boveda is pretty easy, unscented Kitty Litter is said to work too. I too like it lower than 70%.

• T95687T95687 Posts: 9
    The house is around 50% right now so I’m not sure why the humidity is so high inside. I’ve been leaving it open randomly to drop the level. 
    Hmm

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rising temp - rising humidity 
    That’s why your unit isn’t kicking on. It doesn’t need to. You need a way to absorb the now extra humidity. Get the 320 gram boveda packs or some beads
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    How many Boveda's does it take to lower the humidity in your house?
    A little dirt never hurt
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Yakster said:
    How many Boveda's does it take to lower the humidity in your house?

1 60g pack per cubic foot...

1500 sq ft with 8 ft ceilings would require 12,000 60g Bovida packs

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Or only 2,400 320g Boveda packs.

Don't forget the vapor barrier.

• T95687T95687 Posts: 9
    Only 2400 Yak?