Home Cigar 101
Options

Contaminated? Re-Seasoned Humidor

ericfincher67ericfincher67 Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Cigar 101
I have two 50+ humidors (cherry, I think?) that have been out of service for about nine months.  I decided to put them back into action today and gave them both a good seasoning with fresh distilled water.  

Without thinking about microbes and mold, I used an old sponge that I had used to season with previously.  It had only been used once and I had left it in a small Tupperware dish in the cabinet.  I used a clean dish and fresh distilled water.  The only thing that wasn’t fresh was the sponge.  That was on the first humidor. 

On the second humidor, I used the same dish of distilled water but a new sponge that had never been used.  So I’m wondering now, have I exposed my beautiful humidor to mold and other unseen pathogens by using an old sponge?  Have you ever made the same mistake?  If it is cause for concern, what should I do next?  

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ericfincher67ericfincher67 Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I’m using tupperdors with 69% boveda packs for my cigars at this time.  I think I’ll continue the seasoning process of my humidors with a clean sponge and then place one cigar in the suspect box and leave it for a couple weeks.  If I don’t notice anything suspicious after that time, I may begin gradually adding to it.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I'm guessing that you're probably okay, but have you considered hydrogen peroxide? It absolutely will kill mold dead and it has zero odor. I think you can get a gallon of it for about $0.12. The only thing that you would have to do after cleaning it would be to let it completely dry out before starting the seasoning again. 

There's also baking soda in a distilled water solution. That would also kill any spores. I'm not as confident that this is 100% odorless.

If it were me, I would gently scrub the entire area with hydrogen peroxide and a brand new toothbrush, and then let it air-dry for a couple of days. Then restart seasoning.
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    You could just keep your cigars in the tupperware and watch and see what happens over the next few weeks before getting all crazy with it.  Sometimes doing nothing is

a) the right thing to do,

b) better than doing the wrong thing, 

c) the hardest of all things to do,

d) all of the above
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain