Home Cigar 101

humidor seasoning question

TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
So I just purchased a new humidor and am in the middle of seasoning it. I am using shot glasses of distilled water. It's a larger humidor, 300-400 count, so I have a few shot glasses in there. I'm in no rush to season it. My question: I have a pound of beads I just got for the humi - should I add those in there as well charged up or should I wait until the humidor is seasoned?

Comments

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I just seasoned my 300 count with shot glasses of distilled and I also put a pound of charged beads in with it. It only took 4 days to season. Its working great now !
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    shot glasses?

you can cut your seasoning time down by having lower, wider/flatter dishes in there that will expose more surface of water. might as well throw the beads in there. it wont hurt. i would recommend that the beads be 100% charged at the start of this.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    shot glasses?

you can cut your seasoning time down by having lower, wider/flatter dishes in there that will expose more surface of water. might as well throw the beads in there. it wont hurt. i would recommend that the beads be 100% charged at the start of this.
    Yeah, I figured I'd have them fully charged since all that humidity will get absorbed pretty quick. And I'll grab something more shallow for the water. Thanks!
  • The Cank:
    I just seasoned my 300 count with shot glasses of distilled and I also put a pound of charged beads in with it. It only took 4 days to season. Its working great now !

no kidding - I will remember that for my next seasoning - I was recently looking into Boveda packs. They seem pretty handy.

So with a pound of beads and some shallow water bowls in there, the new humidor was charged and ready to go on Sunday. It's now getting nice and stuffed with cigars! Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    PICS!!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Easiest way to season a humidor: Stick a cigar Oasis in the humidor, set it on 80% and come back in 24-48 hours to a perfectly seasoned humi.
    xmacro:
    PICS!!
    My camera is currently residing at a friends house. I'll have it back this weekend and will take some pics for the "pics of your humidor setup" thread.