Home Cigar 101

Do I still need to season?

Ok, this is my 4th humidor, but I'm still pretty much a newbie(been smoking about a year). I seasoned my other humi's by the book, but (as a newbie), I recently realized that at my location, I don't need any kind of humidification devices. My humis stay at 70° and 68 rh on there own here(Hawaii). Heres my question. I just got a new 500 ct humi yesterday. It's showing 70 rh for the last 24 hours... So, do I need to even bother seasoning? This is with a glass of distilled water sitting in it though. So, am I safe to stick cigars in there? I have a severe overload of sticks(still in the CCOM zip-loc), so thats the only reason I'm sweating it, and trying to rush.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would let a hygrometer sit in there overnight before i seasoned to check.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Sounds good to me. Your background rh is probably somewhere around 70 on those islands unlike my 29% here in MN.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    So you live in Hawaii?? That's awesome, I would love to live there.

"Long ashes my friends."

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If I had that kind of RH, I'd be using my sticks as lincoln logs and making log cabins, then have fun playing Jango with them when I wanted to smoke something . . . . (yeah, I didn't get much sleep last night)
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    I did the same thing as you. No need. Shove the sticks in... it will work fine. I live in Palisades Oahu so same situation. I don't use a gauge, just the feel and burn of the sticks you can tell, but I hardly have problems. I do use a small thing of those humidity beads in each humidor and haven't had any problems in years.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    If I lived somewhere like that, even though the RH stayed in the "good" range on its own, I would still invest in some beads. That way the RH would stay even more stable, which helps the cigars long-term and if there was an unusually big swing in RH, the sticks would not bear the brunt of it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    If I lived somewhere like that, even though the RH stayed in the "good" range on its own, I would still invest in some beads. That way the RH would stay even more stable, which helps the cigars long-term and if there was an unusually big swing in RH, the sticks would not bear the brunt of it.
    this is solid advice.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Man, I miss North Shore. Eat some Storto's for me bro.
  • I'm so jealous - sounds like you don't need to do much of anything. RH at 70% wow - I envy you sir.

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    One2gofst:

100% agreed. You still need beads to regulate the humidity during fluctuations and keep it stable.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I say load it up and enjoy