Home General Discussion

Snyder Cigar History Lesson

Ok everyone, I know i rarely post, but my boss showed up with a box of a cigars that his great grandmother left him, and he has no idea about it.  It is a Snyder Cigar box, and it looks like it is almost full.    The only marking I can seem to see on it in 1901.   I thought that this was super cool, but cannot find anything on a history lesson to give to him.  Hoping my fellow Cigar people might have a history lesson to pass on.   Thanks in Advance for any help 

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, no thanks will be necessary because I can't help you, but I have enjoyed learning about Houston MN. It's on the root river not far from the Mississippi river. It might have been a lively little town with plenty of river commerce back in the Mark Twain era. You might want to dig deeper into the local historical archives. If they are online you might search for keywords relevant to your inquiry. Keep us posted.  
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My memory seems to recall a storefront in PA along a river with that name.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my Google-Fu is still Stwong, I may have something for you.
    As it may have turned out, yiou're most likely looking for Cornelius S. Snyder. Therefore, you want to search around the area of York, PA, and the Kohler Cigar Company. Link to help: https://yorkblog.com/yorkspast/34-george-a-kohler-becomes-merchants-cigar-company/

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BKDog good stuff
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The card laying sideways in the photo (leaning up against the cigar box) says "manufactured by O. H. Sennes, Houston MN"
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    The card laying sideways in the photo (leaning up against the cigar box) says "manufactured by O. H. Sennes, Houston MN"

Nice catch! I cross referenced with the directory of cigar manufacturers for the United States, and found only 1 listing for Sennes, but 22 listings under Snyder, one of whom was the gentleman I mentioned earlier, but I'd say that could be a goose chase considering it's in print on that card belonging to O.H. Sennes from MN. I just haven't been able to link any Snyder with Sennes yet.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked Craig Smith, who is the fifth generation of FX Smith's Sons. He's never heard of them. I asked Chris Topper too, but he hasn't got back with me yet.

There's a Snyders Drug Store chain that sold out to Walgreen ten years ago. Sposed to have begun as a cigar store before they started carrying drugs.

Could well be that some other outfit made the gars for them and put them in a Snyder box. That's a common arrangement. For example, FX Smith's makes Gettysburg gars, John Hays gars, some Toppers, and so forth. Just different labels for the same factory. So it may be hard to find info on a Snyder gar maker if they were just a house branded stick made by someone else.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Topper says he never heard of them either.

And he gets around.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)